Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

Join me in brewing Apfelwein? Easy award winning apple wine

I want to make Apfelwein. I found a simple, relatively quick award winning recipe. It seems cheap to make but also very flexible. I wonder if any other bums were interested? We could do it at the same time and compare notes. Speaking of notes Here is a link I have to my notes on the subject: http://thetaobums.co...list-this-year/

A synopsis:

Award Winning Apfelwein Recipe (German Hard Cider) Apple Wine Recipe

Placed 1st in the Cider & Apple Wine category at the BJCP sanctioned Alamo Cerveza fest (out of 11 entries) and took 2nd place for Best of Show for the main category of Meads & Ciders (out of 50 entries).

Ingredients

5 Gallons 100% Apple Juice (No preservatives or additives) I use Tree Top Apple Juice

2 pounds of dextrose (corn sugar) in one pound bags

1 five gram packet of Montrachet Wine Yeast or use Laflin for less smell.

EdWort: If you do it my way, all you need is a carboy. That's it. Nothing to cook. Just sanitize the carboy, add the juice, dextrose & yeast. Total process is less than 30 minutes including sanitizing stuff. It's very simple to make.

5 Gallons of Tree Top Apple Juice from Costco, 2 pounds of Dextros (corn Sugar), 1 packet Dry Montrachet Wine <or Laflin yeast(less smelly)>

1. Sanitize your carboy (I love my Better bottles) and big funnel.

2. Pour half of one gallon of juice in the Carboy. Then add 1 pound of Dextrose to the half empty bottle of juice. Put the cap on and shake it up to dissolve the sugar.

3. Repeat step 2 with another gallon of apple juice and the other pound of Dextrose

4. Pour the half bottles of juice/dextros into carboy

5. Pour the rest of the juice into the carboy saving about a quart

6. Sprinkle the yeast into the funnel then rinse with the rest of the juice so all the yeast is now in the carboy.

You can fit all the juice in it, don't worry.

Reviews: The end result is a crisp, dry, refreshing Apfelwein at 8.5% abv that rocks on hot summer days. SWMBO is loving it on tap. (SWMBO's are She Who Must Be Obeyed)

I had a few glasses last night and all I can say is that this stuff rocks! It was really well balanced; not too sweet and not too dry. I think I could stand it a little drier, but I don't think my wife would have liked it as much if I had let it ferment all the way out.

Had a nice aroma and nose that I can only describe as wine-line (as opposed to cider-like). Not sure if it was just the alcohol, or what. Perfect level of sweetness, not cloying at all, but not overwhelmingly dry. The level of sweetness of a youngish, sweet red wine. Still have plenty of apple flavor. Very drinkable, likely TOO drinkable. Perfect, I thought.

So after a fortnight of aging it is already fracking delicious! Plenty of apple-flavor and it's nice and dry. And it's only going to get better, you say? Damn, we're going to need to make more soon!

Awesome recipe, awesome Apfelwein. I bottled last night and had my first drink and it blew me away. Very smooth, crisp but not too dry, slightly effervescent.

Edited by thelerner

No officer, I was never a part of it and I have never sold it to anyone since I had nothing to sell or drink

bump

I've started my batch. In a 3 gallon carboy w/ airlock, 2 1/2 gallons Trader Joe's 'Just Squeezed' Apple Juice, Handful of organic raisin that'd been rinsed then nuked in 16oz of water, 1lb dextrose (corn sugar) & Nottingham yeast. That's it, been slowly fermenting for 2 1/2 weeks. For what its worth the Nottingham has had very little odor thank goodness, I've heard the Montrachet gives of rhino farts and is better suited for basements then office closets.

Anybody else starting a batch? More info at Homebrewtalk.com.

I walked through a store in my dream last night and picked up a bottle of apfelwein, and your name was on the label. but I got interrupted and had to leave, so I didnt wind up getting to taste it :lol:

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this