三江源

Personal Responsibility/ cultivating sagacity.

Darlene Griffin, who lives in West Palm Beach, Florida sued the West Palm Beach County for injuries she received at a public park as a result of an overly aggressive goose. The goose lunged toward her son, and when she jumped in to protect him the goose bit her foot. As a result, she fell and broke her tailbone. She claimed that the county should have posted warning signs about the dangerous and territorial goose.

There was a sign outside Oriel College Oxford proclaiming...

'Bicycles chained to these railings may be removed'.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

If you fell off the balcony, and there had been no sign, would you sue the balcony owner?

Adulthood begins when you can take care of yourself and take care of others.

If, knowing that, you are waiting for other to take care of you, you're a child.

If you blame others for something you could have avoided with a minimum of awareness and self reliance, you're childish.

• Like 1

That is an interesting point cat

Some practices really cultivate this and discipline, some are more gentle and soft.

slide_9555_126276_large_zpsd396a3ec.jpg

is this nurturing, or assuming profound ineptitude?

They have signs like these up on certain sections of highway with high frequencies of head on collisions. It seems that the main cause is falling asleep at the wheel. It's because of the long stretches of straight road without much change in the scenery. Of course we could tell them to take the signs down because it's not their/our responsibility to remind people to stay awake, since that's a given, or we could say, well you know there might be that one person who gets tired, sees the sign and shakes it off rather than falls asleep and crashes headlong into a minivan killing an entire family.

Aaron

Edited by Aaron
  • Like 2

pic11.jpg

Nothing beats Indian road signs.

I remeber seeing the Himalayan sign once:

After drinking whisky

Driving is risky

OK found another one

alchi-kargil-220708-044.jpg

Edited by suninmyeyes

I prefer to drive with my eyes closed ... it lessens the sense of danger.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

• Like 1

There's a strip of the beach nearby with assorted rocks and boulders separating it from the highway, and some parking spots between the road and the boulders. If you park there, you can get to the beach by doing some very minor climbing, however you really have to pay attention to what you're stepping on so as not to lose your balance or twist your ankle or bang your knee. (Minor accidents happen, I've seen it several times.) One day I saw a woman with a little girl of about four cross that strip, and the woman let the girl do her own climbing and figuring out but kept an unwavering focus on her, repeating all the while, before every step the little girl was about to take, "pay attention, sweetie, pay attention, now pay attention, pay attention, pay attention, honey, pay attention!" I thought she was a super mom. Most parents strike me as doing too much or not enough, choosing wrong battles for their kids' awareness of failing to fight when much is at stake... and wind up raising... um... girls who invest a lot of time and money into maintaining their cuticles, and boys who don't know they have cuticles.

• Like 2

i would not sue someone ever, because in my opinion everything that happens to me is a mixture of no fault/my fault

Making this statement might have been a mistake, haha. It reads like an invitation to test it.

Adulthood begins when you can take care of yourself and take care of others.

If, knowing that, you are waiting for other to take care of you, you're a child.

If you blame others for something you could have avoided with a minimum of awareness and self reliance, you're childish.

Don't confuse immaturity and childishness. Children are very different, based on how they grew up, but what generally characterizes children independant of social influences are things like playfulness, relaxed carelessness and such.

A refusal to take responsibility is immature - it's behavior based on fear. Fear that they picked up in their social environment.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

They close their eyes as well ... all is peaceful and we have a nice trip.