skydog

How to make money?

I want to travel and learn qigong. I think I have some talents/capablity to really develop them. I am interested in writing, art and healing. I also want to develop these things. I do not believe that life needs to be one of struggle and just getting by doing something you hate. I want to start travelling in a few months.

So yeh any help appreciated comments such as "dont desire" are annoying, I live with my parents and have been unemployed for a while, happy. I may be delusional, but I think I am very sensitive and find most work environments extremely disagreeable but if I have to work like that I will but to be honest I think where there is a will there is a way...anyways

asking for help/techniques/ideas

edit:remove self fulfilling crap

Edited by sinansencer
  • Like 1

Sin,

I've been struggling with this for years, our society just isn't set up for it.

Settle on a carreer path, get the necessary education and other requirements met, do an internship, get a decent paying job, and work till you die.

Or live in absolute poverty till you die.

Pick one, those are your realistic options.

• Like 3

There are lots of people who have money through no work/things they enjoy.

My mentality is want it, its definately possible, go get it...so yeh smart ways to make money...

no offence you two, and everyone here can hate me, call me delusional, stupid, i dont really care, im getting it done.

There are lots of people who have money through no work/things they enjoy.

My mentality is want it, its definately possible, go get it...so yeh smart ways to make money...

no offence you two, and everyone here can hate me, call me delusional, stupid, i dont really care, im getting it done.

You aren't getting it done, you are living with your parents, asking on an internet forum how to make enough money to pursue your dreams, if it were that easy we'd all be doing it. It isn't.

You might get lucky and win the lottery, you might meet someone who is rich, you might get a dream job and enjoy the work, but if you wait till your parents die to figure it out you'll be thrown to the wolves in the real world and it's going to suck.

Learn to live with being dirt poor or dedicate your life to a career, pick one and stick with it. As much as I wish this was a have your cake and eat it to situation it isn't.

• Like 4

Yeh but my plan was to leave in 4 months ish, I have been happy with my hermitness but time to go soon...I refuse that lol, anyways if anyone can chip in something would be appreciated.

When I was backpacking through Europe there were fellow packers who had traveling skills that would make them money. I knew people who made jewelry and cut hairs that had been traveling for months. They didn't make much but it was enough to keep them in food and hostel lodgings.

Likewise there are many who in foreign countries who teach English, still others who Nanny in other countries and are prized for their American accent. Likewise there is cheap student travel available. See if there is a STA, student travel agency near you, go in and talk to them, they're treasure troves of opportunities.

• Like 5

Come on guys seriously would a buddha or leonardo davinci think like this, ive done so much work with my beliefs ive seen definate things ive wanted come true due to belief, this isnt even about me, this is just pure psychology, belief creates reality, I have come up with some ideas but morepieguy and turtle shll if you want both I truly wish you also get both.

The key is learning to reckocgnise what is the best thing to do in given situation , doing it without delay as well as learning to love doing it by acknowledging the vital importance in a short and long term.

So make a choice and go for it , keeping in mind that everything requires a compromise of some sort. Choose your compromise according to your taste , but understanding that there you give some - you get some.

You can do whatever fancy , you can travel for free , sure , but you will have to compromise not always having food or shelter or having to work for exchange. You see you get some- you loose some. Or get carrer sorted, you get some - loose some.

There is no best way , you can do as you wish , but be aware of what is in there for you , go into it conciously. As well as learning the art of taking risks -- it is a beutiful game.

You could go and walk to Greece or cycle off somwhere, take your tent and skip for food or work for food and lodging on farms. Join a commune as others suggested.

However it is not as romantic as it sounds and not for everyone.

Edited by suninmyeyes
  • Like 4

Cultivate until food and exposure are no longer an issue. Good luck.

But really, it's going to be tough in our countries. In Tibet in the past for example, wandering yogi's would be taken care of and respected, not so easy for us today. Being a bum is very risky if you are still at the level where you need a lot externally to sustain you.

Personally i've decided to finish my uni course, work for a while (9-5 has plenty of time to do formal cultivation) and make sure to save plenty of money. During this time will have resources to travel around a few times a year to train with masters should it be necessary. After a while maybe move to a cheap country and just cultivate there - or go to the US and do Ya Mu's healer certification training, hope the opportunity opens up.

Genuinely hope you find your path Sinan :) .

• Like 3

You said you want to develop your ability to heal, do you meditate? If so, how long? You're unemployed so you should be able to practice hours a day, do you?

I sense a strong sense of entitlement in your post, if it's misplaced I apologize but I do not believe it to be so. You desire to travel the world and learn the secrets of the ancients but you don't work and basically don't want to get out of your comfort zone to make it happen.

merchant marines get to travel, get paid for it, too. You could head out to alaska and work one of the fishing ships that haul from the bering sea, good place to put that breathing technique to the test, and its just a couple months of hazardous labour followed by a year full of doing whatever you want. The really smart way is to work at something that pays well enough, live simply, save, and invest in a business that will allow you to enjoy your time, cultivate, ect. Ice cream parlor, candy store, bookshop, whatever. Running a business can be hard work, too ... but if it's something that you really enjoy, it isn't really work, either.

While you are doing all of that, think about this: If the universe itself were attempting to guide and shape you into a certain person, what would you possibly have to want for if you were to become that person? Finding that point can be a challenge, but the closer you get to it, the less effort it will require to accomplish your dreams.

• Like 3

belief creates reality

Work creates money in reality...if you start to believe this, you will find yourself able to have money, travel and learn qigong.

If you can believe yourself to the point of not working and somehow having money, then more power to you. That'd be awesome. It didn't work for me, though.

Coming from a karmic perspective...if you don't earn what you get, you're going to have to pay that off somehow in the future. Someone else could be paying for your expense...I once read about how Taoists believe that if you use magick to win money, your ancestors (both past and future) end up paying for it. How does it feel to make your son poor so you can be rich?

It's better to use magick to get yourself into the position of being able to work for your living. Be honorable. Then surprisingly your magick (or your belief) can very strongly impact your reality...because it's line with I guess what we could say is Divine will.

• Like 2

I know a healer who never advertises at all, he isn't even on the internet or phone book and all his clients go to him by word of mouth and he makes a living out of it, so everything just comes to him without effort. I have come across plenty of people who do well doing what they love, I wouldn't take on other peoples limitations and belief systems around this, just make your own

• Like 5

if you consider just hitching and backpacking around, know that the world will take care of you. It may not always be in the way you want though. Entitlement and honor have nothing to do with it and anyone who tells you otherwise is bitter that they had to work for theirs while other people discover abundance and waste - like all the almost expired food thrown away every day. Tons of advice to give, crash space on my floor and a warm meal. tons of free cultivation and spiritual teachings in my town too :)

• Like 3

I recently graduated with a liberal arts education. I'm looking around at my peers who are getting good jobs and making much more money than I am. Here's the deal:

Yes, connections help. Rich kids who have family connections are going to get a job no matter their skills or qualifications. The end. You can cry about it, or you can do something about it.

So here's the thing, and this is going to be true everywhere: People are going to pay money for things that have value.

If you want to get paid money, you have to provide things that have value.

Economics tells us that the lower the supply, the higher the demand.

You want to be a writer? One of my degrees was in writing. Writers are a dime a dozen. You have to be a really good writer to make money. You have to write more than other people. You have to network and get yourself out there to make money. It's certainly doable. But it's going to to be very hard.

You want to be a computer programmer? There aren't many of those. Computer programming requires a lot of technical knowledge and knowhow. The field is always changing. The funny thing is, several months ago I was looking at open positions for developers at a tech company (SAS). Their job requirements read:

"person with a 4 year degree in computer science plus one demonstrable year of working in XYZ environments, OR a 2 year degree in computer related field plus two demonstrable years working in xyz environment OR 4 demonstrable years of working in XYZ environment"

I was SHOCKED. You didn't even need a degree to get a well paid technical position at a great company. Why? Because the skill was valuable and in demand. Not a lot of people do it. So it becomes easier to do with a relatively little amount of work.

My school had a really good business school. A lot of business majors focused in things like marketing and public relations and things like that. Where did they go? Same place I went: sales, along with all the philosophy majors and writing majors and communications majors. Why? Because they didn't have any quantifiable skill other than... communicating.

What happened to the business majors who focused in accounting or finance? Well paying jobs (even before they graduated) because they had developed a skill that had value and something that not everyone could do (because it was difficult and had to be learned, some might say they had gong fu).

What happened to the computer science majors, the biology majors, the chemistry majors? Paid internships which translated to immediate job offers right after or during college because they took the time to develop a skill that was in demand and relevant.

Sure there were people in frats with connections that got better jobs despite having no real skills. See above note.

My advice, if you're starting at the bottom? Get a technical degree from a community college. Don't go to learn things like "business management" or "marketing". It's bullshit. Kids who can write a term paper in one night and graduate a degree from a big university are going to get jobs over you because they have flooded the market and the degree requires no "gong fu".

The two big fields right now are: IT and healthcare.

Most all community colleges have programs that get you doing hands on skills in things like network administration, hardware installation, dental assisting, medical lab technicians, nursing, etc.

For a year and a half to two years it's going to require some money out of pocket. But at the end you are going to have practical skills. And if you're smart, you're going to network while you're there, get good references, and many technical colleges teach you hands on skills, so you might be doing "live" classes in the field where you can make connections and make impressions, and since many community colleges want to place graduates locally, it would make for an easier transition.

Solution? Learn gong fu. Computer gong fu. Medical gong fu.

Be a Taoist. Flow with change. Act in the appropriate moment. There was a day when if you wanted money you'd go to law school. Right now the job market for lawyers is terrible. Why? So many of them, so little need (many places are using paralegals to do most of the legwork, and no lawyer is going to be hired as a paralegal, you're overqualified, and employers are afraid you'd quit as soon as you got a better offer).

Compare that to companies like Sas who will give you a job on par with a college level graduate even if you have no degree as long as you can prove you have skills in XYZ category.

Hm.

And this isn't to say that your career goals can't be in line with your metaphysical ones. A friend of mine is a math and computer science major. He does math because that's his passion. He does computer science to pay the bills. His math has helped a lot. But he says that math is really the key to explaining the universe. You meet an advanced alien species? They'll zap you on the spot. You demonstrate you have mathematical knowledge? Suddenly they can realize that you are demonstrating that you are recognizing certain patterns within the universe. Hm. Patterns in the universe... almost sounds like something else groups of people studied... groups of... spiritual people?

You want to heal people? How do you heal people unless you know what's in their body? Sure you could do therapeutic massage. Or energy healing. Want to make an extra buck? Nothing wrong with learning some hard science, biology, chemistry, the stuff that builds humans from the ground up. Not only are you going to increase your bank statements, you're also going to have a better sense of where to direct some of your meditations or energetic transmissions to yourself or patients.

Hm. It's all coming together....

Edited by Sloppy Zhang
  • Like 7

Come on guys seriously would a buddha or leonardo davinci think like this, ive done so much work with my beliefs ive seen definate things ive wanted come true due to belief, this isnt even about me, this is just pure psychology, belief creates reality, I have come up with some ideas but morepieguy and turtle shll if you want both I truly wish you also get both.

Siddhartha was born as a prince and later he became hobo, and learned from other wise hobos. Also Leonardo was born in very very wealthy family so from the start he could do whatever he likes without need to earn money. That was also the "problem" with Morihei Ueshiba. The only reason he could train entire day and later to come up with Aikido is because he could.

If you are not born in wealthy family you have two options. To live "materialistic" life or to live "spiritual" life. If you choose "materialistic" than finish some school, find a job, earn money and during your spare time learn and pursue your bliss and one day when you feel like it teach it to other people who are also interested in that same think but are few levels below you.

If you choose "spiritual" life. Become a hobo, or a monk, or buy few goats and cows and move to some mountain and meditate entire day.

If you see through history many rich people became saints or have awakened. Only because they had time. Only the rich people from Europe went on spiritual quest to Jerusalem, or Rome or wherever. They did not have to work every day for they food.

It's a tough world. I would really be happy to see you achieve what you desire, these are just my experiences.

• Like 3

Perhaps the dichotomies presented by posters here were true in the past, but i think here is a 3rd way and i think many people are living that lifestyle. You need to be cunning and wise at the least.

Look around for this type of thing: www.tropicalmba.com

• Like 3

I know a healer who never advertises at all, he isn't even on the internet or phone book and all his clients go to him by word of mouth and he makes a living out of it, so everything just comes to him without effort. I have come across plenty of people who do well doing what they love, I wouldn't take on other peoples limitations and belief systems around this, just make your own

It generally takes a while for a healer to build up a practice but I do agree that once wors gets out that someone does good work then people flock to them. That chap John of God has charter flights of patients gling down there to see him.

Here in UK Ray Brown keeps very busy too. By and large though spiritual healers here in the UK belong to one or other of the healing associations, they don't charge for healing but donations are always accepted.

The best known place in the UK is the Harry Edwards healing sanctuary they have an association and run healer training , I think their course lasts for two years with the healers assessed on results.

• Like 2

Perhaps the dichotomies presented by posters here were true in the past, but i think here is a 3rd way and i think many people are living that lifestyle. You need to be cunning and wise at the least.

Look around for this type of thing: www.tropicalmba.com

Yes. Also somebody can sell some good MLM product that pays good. The thing is that there is no overnight success. Everything is time consuming. Lots of my friends are in MLM business, they had dream that they will work MLM next to their primary job but there is no time for that. MLM sounds great but still you have to advertise, to find connections, to pull the strings, go to conferences, etc. That is why I said it's better to get some diploma in some filed that is closely related to your primary interest, you will be more satisfied.

And I would highly recommend work of Stephen Kraus. Brilliant man guy who wrote exceptional books. Helped me a lot.

• Like 2

I just want to say thank you for all the posts.

I may be tooting my own horn but my mind is extremely creative, and thus I view this question from a mind of someone who is creative therefore this is how Im thinking, I do not think karma and belief system/honour has anything to do with each other, seriously change your beliefs change your reality. I have seen this happen in me hundreds of times, while I do respect your giving your best advice, this is actually your own negative ideas your giving to other people. And maybe this thread can be helpful to people who are stuck in their own prison they created for themselves.

I have some ideas Im going to work with...

• Like 2