Imperial

Some questions about exercises

What are you talking about...??? Either way, the abdomen goes inward or outward first depends on the method of the NB or RB. The internal organs are being massaged physically during the contraction or expansion of the abdominal muscles. Thus it makes no difference to qi channels, marrow and wei qi. The body will take care itself.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

Sure, but I will not be misled by anyone...... :)

Each of us has the responsibility to be the ultimate arbiter of the information we process. It is good to scrutinize the information and then choose to accept or reject it based on validity and merit. If there's anything misunderstood, I normally make an effort to clarify as best I can :)

Any good abdominal breath well massages the internal organs. Any tightening, especially of the front of the abdomen, depends on the application - if you are using reverse breathing meditatively, you will not be utilizing it much at all.

Dr Yang (ymaa) defines the energetic differences in breathing natural vs reverse in terms of qi flow focus - natural breathing as placing emphasis on the primary qi channels, reverse as placing more emphasis on both the marrow and wei qi. It is generally backed up well by investigating the yin/yang (think contractions) of the individual components of breath mechanics.

Natural, a good balance of the two:

sinusoidal-current-output-web.jpg

Reverse, all yin at once, all yang at once:

wavesineShift.gif

So naturally, the coherently arranged effects will allow for higher energetic amplitudes, while the offsetting is a more harmonious and softer approach.

Nice. In the system i learn, we use reverse breathing to breth directly into the spinal column and natural breathing to go to ldt. Indeed reverse breathing to me feels like condensing into the marrow.

It is an advanced technique imho...we werent taught rb initially...i think because rb is not to be done with straining muscles...it has to be done while relaxed.

• Like 1

Hi! I have some questions regarding a few exercises/meditations. What is "fire in the belly"? Is it a meditation technique? If so, how do you execute it?

I also want to know what is "body breathing." I tried to find some information online about "fire in the belly" and "body breathing" but I couldn't find any that were plausible at the least.

Also, how do you manage sexual energy? :D Is there a technique for it?

Thanks! :P

"Fire in the belly" has been referred to the beginning of the creation of lower field dan tian. There are many qigong or rather neigong techniques for cultivating this.

"Body breathing" is a misnomer but generally refers to the pulling in of qi through all pores of the body and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with breath. Breath can be utilized as a tool; others have already talked about it in the thread. For information about breathing, pay particular attention to what joeblast says; he has studied the subject.

There are many approaches, however I suggest to just breathe naturally and separate the energetics from any mind oriented methodology. Focusing on breath alone can certainly lead to a mind-limited state - too much thinking and not enough energetics.

Really, best to find a competent teacher and practice a lot. Personally, I suggest not basing something that changes your life on something said on an internet forum.

For teachers of qigong/neigong here is a reference in USA:

http://nqa.org/find-member/

Level IV teachers have at least 10 years of teaching experience with the NQA doing extensive evaluation of the teacher's credentials.

• Like 4

The sine and cosine waves showing voltage and current in respect with time is very impressive. If you all, here, are pretending knowing what is that all means and accepted as is. I'll give you all the credit. It does not convince me anything.

Sorry for not clarifying that aspect - the sinewaves I just pulled out of a quick google image search for 'sinusoidal' - so what the values and units of measurement say there are just random, what is important is what the waves are doing, that's what I was trying to convey with that. Were I a little less lazy I'd have created a proper image. I've been trying to conceptualize some representation that is a bunch more complex, but havent created anything yet, I think I may have to do that in an animated file (which gets to be cumbersome, creating each frame...)

Good, I will challenge all your open loops......!!!

As The Challenger, may I ask what your breathing practices are. What kind and how long?

As The Challenger, may I ask what your breathing practices are. What kind and how long?

How many kinds are there...??? The only kind that I know is "Chi sink to the dan tian(氣沈丹田)." Breathe deeply into the abdomen slowly and constantly. Constantly means all the time, every minute, when I am awake. The time I do not do deep breathing is only when I go to sleep. It is because I want to relax by not generating to much heat and energy so my body can rest.

Here is my ultimate method of breathing:

Edited by ChiDragon

my wife's told me that she can tell when I am in good practice - by the difference in how my breathing is when I sleep ;)

by using the focus of awareness to streamline and harmonize the interaction of structures, we also reprogram the subconscious that controls the base function itself :)

She's pretty damned observant, I'll give 'er that! :lol: It is good for me though, there's no putting anything past her, hehe...well what do you expect from a psychologist. Also, she doesnt usually sleep the entire night all the way through and is a light sleeper - so she's seen me sleeping a thousand times more than I've seen her sleeping :lol:

"Fire in the belly" has been referred to the beginning of the creation of lower field dan tian. There are many qigong or rather neigong techniques for cultivating this.

"Body breathing" is a misnomer but generally refers to the pulling in of qi through all pores of the body and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with breath. Breath can be utilized as a tool; others have already talked about it in the thread. For information about breathing, pay particular attention to what joeblast says; he has studied the subject.

There are many approaches, however I suggest to just breathe naturally and separate the energetics from any mind oriented methodology. Focusing on breath alone can certainly lead to a mind-limited state - too much thinking and not enough energetics.

Really, best to find a competent teacher and practice a lot. Personally, I suggest not basing something that changes your life on something said on an internet forum.

For teachers of qigong/neigong here is a reference in USA:

http://nqa.org/find-member/

Level IV teachers have at least 10 years of teaching experience with the NQA doing extensive evaluation of the teacher's credentials.

Thanks for the detailed reply! May I know what techniques are used for cultivating "fire in the belly"? :D

Is reverse breathing needed for a spiritual fetus? o: