thelerner

What the Bodhisattva said

So apparently there is one confirmed Bodhisattva on this board.

Here's what he said to me, "I come to this board, read and read then laugh and laugh"

What did he say to you?

• Like 2

Happiness comes from the most unlikely of sources, once one ceases to seek it. What is, the possibility of there even being an existance is amazing. Enjoy the experience of life in all of it's manifestations.

(edit) um, that is, most likely, taken out of context.

• Like 2

"As Heaven lets its sun shine upon good and evil, without discrimination and also without expecting reward or advantages; so man should do good to his fellows, perform acts of rectitude, of justice, and of mercy, show benevolence and kindness toward all in an impartial spirit without cherishing ulterior motives, without hope of reward, and without desire for praise."

• Like 2

Bet there aren't many forums online with a real bodhisattva posting.

Dharma Wheel hasn't got one.

Premier League is TTB and no mistake.

Time for a new banner heading for the Forum maybe?

THE TAO BUMS

Discussions On The Way

(Now with added bodhisattva)

Edited by GrandmasterP

Best to take people by their own estimation.

;-)

Some of us made Sinfest a God the other week too.

He wouldn't do anything Godlike though so we had to let him go.

Nice to have a bodhisattva about the place, it'll save us all so much work.

Edited by GrandmasterP

seems the most likely conclusion, but I cant say, personally, since i 1, dont know the qualifications for a bodhisattva, 2, dont know who it is, and 3, i tend to adhere to the idea that *anyone* can be a "great person*, as in bodhisattva, or buddha, or messiah, or prophet... could be a murderous thief, or a corporate CEO, though the liklihood of degenerate behavior in such persons is probably VERY low, but not impossible.

I suspect any bodhisattvas at TTB have low post counts. :)

Minuscule

;-)

Craniowaves up there in the lobby might be one.

Edited by GrandmasterP

according to theravada view there is only one bodhisattva, and that is maitreya, the next buddha. There can only be one bodhisattva at a time in that view.

according to mahayana view, anyone who takes the bodhisattva vow is a bodhisattva. Who takes it officially, under the auspices of a lama etc. Its a vow to remain and help beings, even if one achieves liberation and can go anywhere one wants (like to paradise) or disappear from reality and merge back into the light never to return. The vow is understood to carry over into future lifetimes and affect the course of one's spiritual progress for as long as it takes until samsara is empty and all beings are liberated. Until then, its helping beings liberate. There are probably a few people on this board who have taken the bodhisattva vow, but its generally for totally committed buddhists. its a prerequisite to taking tantric vows in most schools, so anyone who genuinely practices vajrayana buddhism has probably taken the bodhisattva vow. I have taken that vow, and i doubt i'm the only one here (not even going to open that can of worms) who thinks of themselves as a bodhisattva.

• Like 1

according to mahayana view, anyone who takes the bodhisattva vow is a bodhisattva.

Another perspective is that achieving first bhumi is the minimal qualification to get that title.

Seeing as bodhisattva means one who aspires to enlightenment, would that make someone who has taken the vow but not reached first bhumi one who aspires to be one who aspires to enlightenment? :P

And while I'm in a teasing mood, I must say it's a good thing your avatar is the same or I would have no idea who you are.

Edited by Creation

hi creation, lol just keeping it confusing for yall

ha pretty funny aspires to aspire.. i dont know the answer to your question.. never heard of first bhumi making someone a bodhisattva by default tho. But its amazing what i don't know

never heard of first bhumi making someone a bodhisattva by default tho.

Probably just the presence of bodhicitta is enough. I just have some personal issues about "mass producing" bodhisattvas. From the way I see it at my current state of development, the Bodhisattvayana is such a massive commitment that I don't like the notion of making it required or expected of a spiritual aspirant to take bodhisattva vows, and there is no shame in cultivating and acting on the four immeasurables while here but taking your leave when you are qualified to do so, as in the Shravakayana.

After reading up on this matter, I found that even in Indian Mahayana there were many views on the relationship between the vehicles. At the end of the day, maybe it is mostly just human convention and tradition, and isn't such a big deal from the perspective of many lifetimes and many worlds.

Edited by Creation

Bodhisattva job description here......

http://www.tricycle....hat-bodhisattva

According to your link:

A BODHISATTVA IS an ordinary person who takes up a course in his or her life that moves in the direction of buddha. You're a bodhisattva, I'm a bodhisattva; actually, anyone who directs their attention, their life, to practicing the way of life of a buddha is a bodhisattva. We read about Kannon Bosatsu (Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva) or Monju Bosatsu (Manjushri Bodhisattva), and these are great bodhisattvas, but we, too, have to have confidence or faith that we are also bodhisattvas.

Then I would call almost everyone on TTB a Bodhisattva... Maybe not in the sense not of becoming a buddha, but becoming a true person... or enlightened... or whatever you might call it...

Me, it would be without relying on preconceived rules and prerequisites, and discovering truth first hand, knowing it as it is meant to be known (by me) by it's own will... which may or may not follow the aforementioned preconceived rules of budhism/becoming (a/the) buddha, and may or may not lead to the understanding of those rules.

Yep , going by that job description it seems as though we are all bodhisattvas should we choose to describe ourselves as such.

Other routes will have their own unique definitions of what the job entails and who can become one but that tricycle definition comes from a respected Buddhist ( by those Buddhists who frequent it) source and, given that there are so many Buddhisms to choose amongst; it is as valid a definition of bodhisattva as is as any other.

Anybody tells me they're a bodhisattva my response remains....

"Well that's very nice for you. Good luck with it".

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1