Sign in to follow this  
Mal

6th Tibetan ~ The Big Draw

I can't speak for whether or not they are "the same" but they certainly seem to operate in similar areas. In the more recent editions (I guess having only seen my girlfriend's copy) he includes the "6th" Tibetan in the Five Tibetans. He also specifically states that those not leading a celibate life have even more reason to practice it that those that are, to replenish the "lost essence". Who knows, since most of us seem to agree that obsessive semen retention is not necessarily good, rather energy circulation seems to be the important part, perhaps that (like the Big draw) is what it is doing. Circulating the energy out of the so called physical essence (obviously not the only part of ching in the body) so that it doesn't actually matter if it is expelled. Two cents.

Imo, practicing some form of energy circulation on a daily basis is the key to managing sexual energy when it's activated such as rite number 6, microcosmic orbit, spinal breathing, etc. And some form of meditation practice is key to managing the energy circulation practice. There are resources on advancedyogapractices.com that I follow and googling vajroli mudra might yield more info. This kind of "bandha" or breath lock practice is reserved for down the road in Indian traditions so maybe that's why the Colonel was reserved about the practice. Maybe googling "vacuum breath" would pull up more info too. So far, I've not incorporated it as a practice.

"practicing some form of energy circulation on a daily basis is the key to managing..."

... and balancing extremes in your energy cycles, of which the various levels of arousal are interconnected.

Eric,

I'm glad you like it. For the hindu yoga path I like to think the ayp site is definitive. For taoism, check out alchemicaltaoism.com if you haven't already.

~~~

I was just flipping through Hittleman's "Yoga: 28 Day Exercise Plan" I love the book. Mom had a copy while I was growing up. I dig the retro hottie. He waits till the yoga student has 8 days of practice before rolling out rite 6...

-Yoda

This is an old thread but I'd like to add a bit to it. Maybe someone else would as well. If you ask Google to search for the 6th Tibetan Rite this thread this is nearly all there is to choose from. So, I applaud TheTaoBums for providing this thread.

After reading the above posts I will add that semen retention and celibacy are two different things. The energy experience from each is vastly different. The Big Draw and the Sixth Rite have similarities and each can be used interchangeably. There is another version of this found in a most unlikely place: the teachings of Paul Bragg. His Super Power Breath is quite similar to the 6th Rite. Here is a description of it:

Exercise No.1, the Cleansing Breath

Stand erect, feet about 15 to 18 inches apart, hands and arms relaxed at your sides. Raise your hands overhead and take a deep breath (position 1). Now bend forward as far as possible - keeping your knees slightly bent and relaxed - exhaling at the same time through your mouth. Compress your chest and push upward with your diaphragm and abdominal muscles to expel all the stale air from your lungs.

Now slowly inhale through your nose and mouth, pushing downward with your diaphragm and expanding your chest at its front and sides. Continue to draw in air to the full capacity of your lungs as you return to a standing position, while bringing your arms upward in a half-circle to the overhead position.

To complete the Cleansing Breath Exercise: As your hands reach the overhead position, tighten your diaphragm and hold your breath for four or five seconds (mentally counting, One thousand one, one thousand two, etc.) while pulling your abdominal muscles back as if to pin your stomach to your backbone. Then exhale completely while bending forward, as at the beginning. Inhale as you return to the starting position.

Do this Cleansing Breath Exercise 5 times. (Super Power Breathing for Energy, by Paul Bragg)

I have my own twist on this kind of energy work which I have posted at http://thetaobums.com/topic/31684--/page-6 post #86.

So, semen retention suggests there is sexual activity going on, and celibacy means sublimation without sex. I suggest that the 6th Rite, the Super Power Breath and my version of this are most effective for being celibate. There are so many more convenient ways to sublimate sex energy during sex than getting out of bed to do this yoga pose.

The real beauty of these yoga poses goes beyond sex. They are grounding and will balance emotions. If you are sexually aroused and don't want to be, perform one of these yoga poses and you will not be aroused, not in the slightest. If you are depressed or angry, performing this same yoga pose will eliminate these negative emotions. The Taoist would say that you have transmuted them into positive emotions. However you want to look at this, the results of performing this kind of yoga pose is a change of your emotional state. Here is a quote from a letter I recently sent to a friend who is trying to be celibate.

Do you know what the terms, "grounded," "centered," or "balanced" refer to? When negative thoughts or emotions (sometimes experienced as a memory) pop onto the stage of your mind, you feel off center, or unbalanced. You will find that prayer restores peace. This 6th Rite also restores peace. If you are feeling angry or depressed and nothing seems to help, then perform the 6th Rite and watch how you suddenly become grounded again. There are lot of ways to do this. For instance, standing in a river with bare feet firmly planted on bedrock grounds the negative energies and restores peace. Doing something nice for someone, shifting your focus from your internal problems to another, also restore inner peace. And, all of this is tied to sex energy (which is just another word for life energy).

Here is how to perform the 6th Rite again, singled out of the book's text:

Sixth Tibetan Rite

Now, rite number six is the easiest thing in the world to perform. It should be practiced only when you feel an excess of sexual energy, and there is a natural desire for its expression. Fortunately, this rite is so simple that you can do it anywhere, at any time, whenever the urge is felt. Here's all you do:

Stand straight up and slowly let all of the air out of our lungs. As you do this, bend over and put your hands on your knees. Force out the last trace of air, and then, with the lungs empty, return to a straight up posture. Place your hands on your hips, and press down on them. This will push your shoulders up. As you do this, pull in the abdomen as much as possible, *which raises the chest.

Now, hold this position as long as you possibly can. When you are finally forced to take air into your empty lungs, let the air flow in through the nose. When the lungs are full, exhale through the mouth. As you exhale, relax your arms, letting them hang naturally at your sides. Then take several deep breaths through the mouth or nose, allowing them to escape through either the mouth or nose. This constitutes one complete performance of rite number six. About three repetitions are required for most people to redirect sexual energy and turn its powerful force upward. (The Fountain of Youth, by Peter Kelder)

* The phrase, "Which raises the chest" is taken from the original book, "Eye of Revelation".

I would like to make an addition to the way this yoga pose is performed. When sex energy is drawn upward into the body it acts as an amplifier: if you are angry then uplifted sex energy will make you more angry. If you are joyful, you become more so, if sad, it deepens into depression. Do you get it? The uplifted sex energy does not judge, it simply amplifies what is already there.

If you place your hands over your heart center as you breathe deeply after each repetition of the 6th Rite, the uplifted sex energy is transmuted into love energy. Therefore it is love that gets amplified as you perform this yoga pose. You can place your hands on your chest, palms down, one on top of the other, or you can press your palms together, fingers extended, and place this over your heart center, or you can cross your forearms over the heart center as the Masons do. Each culture has its traditional methods for this. Experiment and see what works best for you.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this