Sign in to follow this  
SUBHK

Help with identification

Hi,

New to this forum and have a question I hope you can help me out with :).

Could you help me to identify who are displayed on the picture below? And if possible maybe give a short account on the story displayed?

Thanks so much in advance!

Top left: 西王母 [Xi Wangmu] with assistants and dancers?

Middle left: 北斗 [bei Dou] and 南斗 [Nan Dou] with in the middle 麻姑 [Magu]

Bottom left: 福禄寿 [Fu, Lu en Shou] and 和合二仙 [Hehe erxian]

Top right: 斗母 [Dou Mu]

Underneath the 7 sisters (from Chinese valentine)

Group of 4 with 雷公 [Lei Gong] and 電母 [Dian Mu] and 2 unknown

關帝 [Guan Di] and 鍾馗 [Zhong Kui]

Group of 5 is unknown to me

財神 [Cai Shen] sitting on a tiger

老子 [Lao Zi] sitting on a buffalo

龍王 [Long Wang] with the shrimp soldier and crab general

Under the 7 sisters: 四大天王 [si Da Tianwang]

Sitting on the dragon 井神 [Jing Shen]?

In the centre: 嫦娥 [Chang'e]

In the top centre: 二郎神 [Er Lang Shen] and 嫘祖 [Leizu]

Bottom middle: 玄武 [Xuan Wu] / 八仙 [baxian] / 觀音 [Guan Yin]

The 2 people on the balcony under the tree are unknown to me

"ChiDragon: I believe they are the two famous poets from the Tang dynasty, 李白(Li Po) and 杜甫(Du Fu)."

https://fbcdn-sphoto...793826563_n.jpg

63636_10200380091689296_793826563_n.jpg

Group of 5 is unknown to me

Could be......

五方谒谛:

1. 金光揭谛、

2. 银头揭谛、

3. 波罗揭谛、

4. 波罗僧揭谛、

5. 摩诃揭谛

Edited by ChiDragon

ChiDragon once again a big thanks and a happy new year to all reading this :).

Do you know what the English name of this group would be?:

五方谒谛:

1. 金光揭谛、

2. 银头揭谛、

3. 波罗揭谛、

4. 波罗僧揭谛、

5. 摩诃揭谛

Do you agree with the names I stated in the first post for the others?

"I believe they are the two famous poets from the Tang dynasty, 李白(Li Po) and 杜甫(Du Fu)." Do you have an idea on why these poets would be in the centre of a display among deities/immortals?

SUBHK.....

You welcome and happy new year to you too........ :)

I have no disagreement with the names in the first post. I think you did a great job better than me.

Those five names are just names. I can do some research and get back to you on this one.

"Do you have an idea on why these poets would be in the centre of a display among deities/immortals?"

The most logical thing that I can think of is because humans are the center of all these imaginations about deities/immortals.

Edited by ChiDragon

"Do you have an idea on why these poets would be in the centre of a display among deities/immortals?"

I want to bring this to your attention. These two poets are on a structure built by humans which indicates that they are human. All the figures riding on the clouds are deities/immortals. All the deities were mentioned in the 化胡经(Hua Hu Ching), a fairy tale describes all the deities/immortals in the Taoist religion.

Edited by ChiDragon

Only after you mentioned they are poets I realized they are the onlu ones not displayed standing on top of clouds.

So do you mean what is displayed on the picture is a visualisation of one of the events described in the Hua Hu Ching?

Will have a look if I can find an English translation of the Hua Hu Ching, hopefully will make for some interesting reading :).

Once again thanks!

道教神仙 (The Immortals of the Taoist Cult)

道教是典型的多神教,神系紛繁複雜,神祇數量極多。 現今道教神仙主要有四大體系: 正統道教神系、民間信仰神系、上古神話神系、神魔小說神系。 在道教最高規格的羅天大醮儀式中,會恭請3600位神仙。 [7] 下面介紹一些正統道教及其民間信仰中名氣較大、知名度較高的重要神仙。 神魔小說中虛構的神祇暫且不談[8] 人氣最高的十大神仙

1、 十二生肖 (每個人的守護神、吉祥神,深深融入國人的生活、思維之中) 2、 財神 (主管人間物質財富和精神財富的神明,商業金融業的祖師爺、保護神) 3、 媽祖 (道教海神,平安女神,慈愛之神,航運業保護神,沿海人民心中的“娘媽”) 4、 關帝 (道教戰神,武財神,忠義的化身,商業、會計業、理髮業的祖師爺) 5、 福祿壽三星 (主管人間福祉、利祿、壽命的三尊吉祥神,納福、添祿、增壽) 6、 門神 (守衛門戶的神明,衛家宅,保平安,助功利,降吉祥) 7、 灶王 (飲食之神,掌管家庭禍福,督查人間善惡) 8、 土地爺 (保護一方水土,佑護五穀豐登,財源滾滾) [9] 9、 八仙 (代表最廣泛的民間道教信仰的八位神仙) 10、 太上老君 (道祖道德天尊,教化世人的慈愛天神)

太上老君 ) 。 三清是大道的化身,三位一體。 《道德經》雲:”道生一,一生二,二生三,三生萬物。“三清居於玉清境、上清境、太清境,合稱三清境。 [10] 三清是創世神。 元始天尊造化天地,靈寶天尊度化萬物,道德天尊教化世人。

玉皇大帝是道教的眾神之帝。 總領三界、十方、四生、六道一切眾生,統御儒、道、釋三教和其他諸神仙聖佛,治理宇宙萬物。 三清和玉帝的關係類似於大股東和總經理,三清是創世神,玉帝是治世神。 玉皇大帝也是儒教的最高神 ——天帝。 另外,玉皇大帝還是民間信仰的最高神 。 玉帝的全稱是 “太上開天執符禦歷含真體道金闕雲宮九穹歷禦萬道無為通明大殿昊天金闕玉皇大天尊玄穹高上帝”。 儒教尊稱為 “昊天金闕無上至尊自然妙有彌羅至真玉皇上帝”,民間稱天、上天、蒼天、昊天、皇天、天公、老天爺等。 [11] 玉皇殿前四大天師 : 張天師 , 葛天師 , 許天師 , 薩天師

四禦是玉皇大帝統治宇宙三界的助手,又稱為四輔: 紫微大帝、 長生大帝勾陳大帝后土娘娘 統御萬天的玉皇大帝、統御萬雷的勾陳大帝、統御萬星的紫徽大帝、統御萬類的青華大帝、統御萬靈的長生大帝、統御萬地的后土娘娘合成六合 (上、下、東、南、西、北),代表宇宙無限的空間。

四方之神 (東青龍,西白虎,南朱雀,北玄武) 南斗六星君 (司命星君,司祿星君,延壽星君,益算星君,度厄星君,上生星君) 北斗七星君 (陽明貪狼星君,陰精巨門星君,真人祿存星君,玄冥文曲星君,丹元廉貞星君,北極武曲星君,天關破軍星君) 九曜星君(計都星君、火德星君、木德星君、太陰星君、土德星君、羅睺星君、太陽星君、金德星君、水德星君) 二十八星宿東方七宿角、亢、氐、房、心、尾、箕, 南方七宿井、鬼、柳、星、張、翼、軫, 西方七宿奎、婁、胃、昴、畢、觜、參, 北方七宿鬥、牛、女、虛、危、室、壁) 三十六天罡星 七十二地煞星

九天玄女 ( 軒轅黃帝之師 ,術數之祖), 花神嫦娥 仙子無生老母驪山老母慈航真人 ,太姥娘娘 七仙女何仙姑 (八仙之一), 陳靖姑 (救產保胎), 麻姑電母狐仙織女娥皇女英

文曲星 , 魁星天聾地啞 五文昌(文昌帝君,魁星星君,朱衣神君,純陽帝君,文衡帝君) 中華十聖 (酒聖杜康 ,文聖孔子 ,醫聖張仲景 ,武聖關羽 ,史聖司馬遷 ,書聖王羲之 ,草聖張旭 ,畫聖吳道子 ,詩聖杜甫 ,茶聖陸羽儒家四聖 (至聖孔子、复聖顏回、宗聖曾子,亞聖孟子),聖人韓愈朱熹王陽明 天樞上相( 姜子牙張良諸葛亮魏徵

真武大帝 (明朝保護神,武當山主神) 關聖帝君 (忠義的化身,武聖) 護法四帥 (天蓬玉真壽元真君、天猷仁執靈福真君、翊聖保德儲慶真君、佑聖真武靈應真君) 四大元帥(馬、趙、溫、關) 二郎神 ,梅山七聖 王靈官 ,五百靈官, 雷部諸將 雲台二十八將 ,凌煙閣二十四臣 托塔天王哪吒

比干武財神關帝儒商之祖子貢道商之祖范蠡 五路財神 (玄壇真君趙公明和招寶天尊、納珍天尊、利市仙官、招財使者) 鐘呂二仙, 和合二仙土地爺 白圭管仲柴榮沈萬三劉海 (戲蟾), 韓信 (偏財神)

喜神 ,八仙,門神, 鍾馗 麻姑,彭祖, 順星月老石敢當 三官大帝 (全名為三元三品三官大帝 ,上元一品天官唐堯主賜福,中元二品地官虞舜主赦罪,下元三品水官大禹主解厄。)

天吳 , 畢方據比豎亥燭陰帝俊 上古四方天帝( 炎帝少昊顓頊伏羲刑天蚩尤共工祝融彭祖 (上元一品天官 )、 (中元二品地官 )、 (下元三品水官 )、

城隍 、 判官牛頭馬面 、黑白無常(拘人生魂)

南極仙翁 ( 玉清真王神醫扁鵲張仲景華佗皇甫謐葛洪孫思邈錢乙朱 ​​震亨李時珍葉天士

守護之神

十二生肖 六十太歲

四海龍王 城隍土地山神水神龍王 區域特有神祇:都江堰二郎神 ,溫州楊府爺 ,茅山三茅真君 ,福州陳靖姑 ,台灣國姓爺 ,廣西布洛陀 ,香港黃大仙等等。

高道真人

四大真人 (南華真人、沖虛真人、通玄真人、洞靈真人) 王禪老祖鬼穀子 ,北極真人安期生 ,紫陽真人張伯端 ,重陽真人王重陽 ,長春真人丘處機 ,三豐真人張三豐 張繼先天師, 張宇初天師

Source for: The Taoist Immortals

SUBHK.....

Most of the names of the immortals are in this list and include the ones that you have mentioned. Do not try to find them in the Hua Hu Ching. Hua Hu Ching was only mentioned a few immortals and it is not the main source for them.

Sign in to follow this