Sign in to follow this  
Zyril

Where do I start my practice?

Hello everyone,

I'm Zyril, a 23 year old engineering student, currently residing in a cold northern country. I've always been fascinated by eastern philosophy, and I have read quite many books on the topic though only a few of them were of the practical sort, i.e.

Qigong Teachings of a Taoist Immortal: The Eight Essential Exercises of Master Li Ching-yun

http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/0892819456

and

The Inner Structure of Tai Chi: Mastering the Classic Forms of Tai Chi Chi Kung

http://www.amazon.co...g/dp/1594770581

I now realize that I have alot of questions, and perhaps some of you may be able to help me out and point me in the correct direction.

1. I have for some time now wanted to "go practical" when it comes to my spiritual side, and I am very curious on both tai-chi chuan and qigong. My problem is that I have clue on how to start nor where to start.

I've looked up a school near me where I can try out both arts, and I will do so. But how do I know what is best for me, or what it is that I want to do?

2. I am a fit guy, I eat right, I sleep well and I feel healthy in most ways I can think of. I have since about half a year back tried to spend each night meditating for some time, though I cannot say that I progressed very far. In the beginning, I couldn't sit still for more than ten minutes, because my middle back below my shoulder blades would start to hurt. Now, I can sit down and relax for about 30 minutes, before I feel like I'm slowly becoming more restless and contraproductive in the meditation.

I write meditation, though I do not believe that I actually have entered a meditative state any of the times that I have done it. I do feel more relaxed and at ease though, so I guess that I am getting something good out of it. I have also read, and I know that this most likely is just opinions from people, that by not ejaculating I can reach a meditative state easier than when ejaculating from now and then. Lately, I have been experimenting with this in the way that whenever I have felt aroused, I have instead tried to meditate, and it has helped me to regain control of my mind and my body. Is there any truth in this? I feel like I am benefiting by doing it this way, so maybe it is how I should do?

This turned into a lot of text, so I won't write more right now but instead wait for some replies. Perhaps I need to be clearer on some points.

Yours faithfully,

Z

Some great advice here from all three of you! Thank you to all, I will look into it.

Gerard, I read up on some info on Baguazhang now, and indeed it looks interesting. Though, there appear to be no tutors where I live, not even close. Is the general view that you can start practice without a teacher in the beginning, or is this more or less useless? For me, in any other part of life where I was supposed to learn something, getting the basics correct with the help of a competent teacher has always been the best way and I do not see why this wouldn't be the case here.

• Like 1

DVDs and the like are only ever second best because they cannot correct or encourage 'there and then' whilst you are actually cultivating but if you can't get to a teacher......

Thing with QiGong is that learning a short set is pretty straightforward, that 8 strands form is deceptively simple but as you cultivate and maybe get deeper into what's happening , why and how; then things become interesting.

Edited by GrandmasterP

What primarily do you want out of your cultivation practices? Different methods emphasize different things....best to have a general idea of what you would like to accomplish.

-My 2 cents, Peace

Do what I did

Find this one Korean dude who lives only in hotels and hostels all over the country. Mine doesn't do that anymore so find your own guy. He needs to dress good and have money, if he has too much bling then he's a pimp and a wrong guy. What you need is for him to know all them Tao Te Chings and old books and use references from them everyday and to comment of recent events. Unlike the monks who just live in them mountains and talk about nature n shiz, you need a guy who learned the same things in an urban environment. Since you live in the city or something, you gonna need the practical stuff that you could use in real life. If you don't have a guy or you just learn from the books of them monk people, you will be like one of these goofs who discuss TTC in it's own forum and then get completely lost what some important world event happens and this happens http://thetaobums.com/topic/22292-is-the-west-slowly-descending-into-fascism/

Get "Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body" by B.K. Frantzis. Not only does he provide the theoretical overview of Taoism/meditation, but he gives you a PRACTICAL set of practices that encompass body alignments, posture, breathing, the foundation of energy work, and how those practices tangibly tie into the theory, and how the theory ties into the practices.

The alignments and energy foundations taught in that bookk are the very same foundations that you would use before you started any of the internal martial arts (Tai Chi, Bagua, Xingyi, etc), and are in fact great alignments to enhance physical performance in every day life (whether you want to take the stress out of your knees when you jog, are an elderly person looking to get more physical despite your age, or are even a high performance athlete looking for an edge).

This place really is a goldmine and I am very grateful for the advice that you are giving me, it's invaluable!

GrandmasterP; I will try out the QiGong that was posted. This might be good since I plan to attend a try out workshop of QiGong quite soon.

Gerard; Thank you again for opening my eyes to Bagua, from what I've viewed and read it seems very interesting and I will pursue it a bit further and see if there are any teachers somewhere. Regarding the meditation progression, I have saved the link and will perhaps use it for further reference. I will take the disclaimer seriously for now and try to work on my fundamental meditation technique a bit further on my own before reading up on it.

Sloppy Zhang; Thank you for the reading tip, I will look into it. Everything that lays down basics and fundamentals is good!

Where do I start my practice?

Yours faithfully,

Z

A Buddhist story tells of a student who wished to make an offering to Siddhartha Gautama and so brought a flowering branch to a gathering. As the pupil approached, Siddhartha said to him, "Throw it away." Quickly, thinking he was supposed to discard the branch, the pupil threw it away. Yet Siddhartha again said, "Throw it away." The student could not comprehend what he was supposed to do. Siddhartha then said, "Throw yourself away." And the novice stood there confounded, pondering how he could throw himself away.

If the student had his "I am" before his "i think," there would not have been a reason to "throw it away."

Buddhists traditionally have a more cardio-centric, heart-centered society, in contrast to the Western cerebro-centric, brain-centered social conditioning. Even so, few on any continent seem willing to let go of who they think they are to realize who they actually are. People fear their light. The Buddha Siddhartha reportedly said, "Your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own thoughts." The organ of thinking is call the 6th sense of the sentient being.

Hello Zyril,

FYI, there are companion DVDs for the two books that you already have that demonstrate the movements:

8 Brocades Seated Qigong Exercises

Tai Chi Qigong I

In my view, these two sets would be actually be pretty good entry points into this type of work in comparison with some of the more complicated practices that have been suggested, especially if you will not be working with a live teacher. I second the suggestion to add a seated emptiness meditation practice (e.g zazen or vipassana). I like to divide the active and quiescent practices into separate sessions. Start simply, build incrementally. Good luck with your practice.

You can get some inspiration by visiting the Personal site of some our members, see what they've done and what they've gotten of it. Spend some time looking up some of the longer more specific posters.

I started like many at the beginning. Counting breaths. Count 10 breaths then return to 1, because even something that simple can be hard(!), you can separate the count as 1 for breath in, 2 for breath out, 3 breath in...10..go back to 1 breath in. Its the basic that can take you pretty deep. Ofcourse you don't cling to thoughts, let them drift away, strive to appreciate quietness.

Such a simple practice can be profound and foundational. From there look at some systems of practice, try out a few and see which one you connect to, then keep to it. Imo seek peace over power. There are many practices, to me the best include moving, sitting, healing and dharma talks somewhere inside them.

Lately I've been listening to thus pushing Ajahn Brahms material which has a deep approach to it. I listed some of his free books and many free lectures somewhere on the site.

Even start at your local library, see whats available close by. A good teacher is invaluable.

Yours

Michael

Edited by thelerner

Zyril....

Everything starts with by breathing down to the abdomen.

Everything starts with observing the Dao. ;)

Everything starts with observing the Dao. ;)

Ah, but where is the Do(a)nut?

Edited by thelerner

I write meditation, though I do not believe that I actually have entered a meditative state any of the times that I have done it. I do feel more relaxed and at ease though, so I guess that I am getting something good out of it. I have also read, and I know that this most likely is just opinions from people, that by not ejaculating I can reach a meditative state easier than when ejaculating from now and then. Lately, I have been experimenting with this in the way that whenever I have felt aroused, I have instead tried to meditate, and it has helped me to regain control of my mind and my body. Is there any truth in this? I feel like I am benefiting by doing it this way, so maybe it is how I should do?

For the time being, just be natural - dont abuse it, take the middle path. But yes, meditative concentration is a good way to take that energy potential. You may reach a time in your cultivation where celibacy makes sense for you, but until then dont unnaturally or forcefully repress things.
  • Like 1

Please explain....!!!

Do I really need to ? :o

Ok then....

Observe nature.

The way things live and breathe.

The way people behave and interact with each other in different circumstances.

Observe movement and stillness.

Watch carefully how the clouds move.

Look to the heavens on a clear night.

Listen to the sound of your breath.

Feel your energy coursing around your body.

The constant ebb and flow of thoughts and images in your mind.

Go for a long walk alone in the countryside, beach or park.

Take a long deep breath of fresh air.

Listen to birdsong.

Smell the trees.

Savour every mouthful of food and drink.

Engage your senses.

Observe the Dao.

While reading consider some Alan Watts material (if you haven't already) , he helped many "westerners" to make some "eastern" connections.

Sign in to follow this