GrandmasterP

Hobbit Lifestyle

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2254397/Oxford-graduate-quit-mainstream-society-live-hobbit-style-existence-mud-hut-Welsh-hills.html

Thought this was interesting in today's paper.

Firstly because of the unusual lifestyle.

Secondly as the article indicates that the utopian community, small that it was; seems to have split into three factions.

I thought that article was pretty cool, also watched the lord of the rings just now..decent story i thought, maybe u prefer the book..

I really enjoyed the movies when they came out but they have all been on TV a good few times now. We set off watching that one tonight but gave up after an hour. Mrs GMP wanted to watch some romance schlock about the Duchess of Devonshire or some such so I retreated to my batcave and have been here ever since.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sword-Shannara-Trilogy-Terry-Brooks/dp/1841492876/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1356823615&sr=8-3

Terry Brooks Sword of Shannara trilogy fairly cracks along. It's a bit of a rip off of Lord of the Rings in some ways , swords and sorcery and a mystic quest and all that but I really enjoyed reading it.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Oh crap. I just read the Daily Mail.

Daily Mail is not for reading it is for fuming over.

Always good to know what the enemy has planned so we take it.

Also Mrs GMP likes the Sudoku.

The LoTR's need to be seen in a theater, so much of the grandeur of the films was the elaborate sets, from the Shire, the vistas, the cities Elven and Human. The sound effects from blast of Dolby bass during battles to directional sounds coming from arrows..

I could see living in a hobbitlike Shire. Thing is you'd need a substantial amount of money to create such a disneyesque place, at least one with a sizeable community. But once you had it, cheap heating and air conditioning, fantastic unspoiled views, gardens everywhere, even the roof.. Good sense of community, being taller then everyone around you.. lots of good points.

• Like 1

The writer of the article is under the misconception that you can live without technology. Sorry pal, but a bucket is technology, too.

I respect her wish to live a simple life. It's just that this so often comes with a bullshit package.

What if someone presents a very simple and easy to maintain way of generating electricity for her? Will she welcome the simplicity of the added comfort? Probably not.

What I'm trying to point out is that there's a basic problem with a mindset like that: You have to draw a line, and you have to be aware that that line is arbitrary and subjective.

It's good though that there are people experimenting, setting precedents, being an example and inspiration.

^ good point....

I once thought that low tech was the best option... but then I though... why go backwards?

what we really need is some super high tech aligned with Nature... we have to push forward

Concepts like Tesla's free wireless radiant / cosmic energy... developed 120 years ago...

this tech is being suppressed unfortunately ...

Our day will come

41891503_9613502_thumbnail.jpg

Didn't Tesla short out the municipal electric plant and blow out building windows in Colorado Springs, CO with his "wireless electricity" experiments? Seem to recall that he was banished from that city forever. :D

True. Although that was not the reason for his failure. JP Morgan cut funding when he learned Tesla wanted the world to have electricity for free, and the government plundered his lab.

Hm. That poor guy really got the short end of the stick on all fronts. Edison, Marconi, the government... and he ends up in poverty and near obscurity. Fat lot of good his brilliance did him. He could have used some business courses. :/

Well, knowing about how the system works and how not to be driven into ruin by it is not THAT helpful. It only enables you to cripple your means.

Although I guess if one is really radical, it could still be beneficial. I think the best way to get free energy technology out there is through guerilla tacrics. Give autonomous energy generators for households, for free. Let people witness the miracle, so to speak. Once people have a gold-shitting donkey in their house, they'll be surprisingly rebellious. ;-D Except the worst of the sheeple, of course. Just phantasizing here.

Trying to play the system doesn't work. The game is fixed. If you decide to play it, you have already lost.

Maybe once those 3D printers becomes home appliances we can print out our own power generators? :D

Lets hope somebody has the ability and smarts to get around the system.

:ph34r:

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air