Sign in to follow this  
phore

Veda and Upanishads translations

Hey I'm looking for some translations of the Vedas and upanishads.

I am not interested in commentaries, just the texts.

I like Thomas clearys translations of Taoist and Buddhist literature. I also like jaidev Singhs translations of Kashmir siviah literature.

Any recommendations?

Lovelight

Tony

• Like 1

Well there are a great many translations of the Upanishads on the net or in book form and most have at least some type of introduction, background, side notes, cross references, etc... (which more or less could be skipped if you like; btw I would suggest to not throw all sources of commentary out the window, rather consider those that may be of help and that also ring true to you...)

The Patrick Olivelle edition by Oxford Worlds Classics, might be at your local bookstore?

Good hunting to you

Edited by 3bob

I'm not particularly adverse to commentary. I have enjoyed Ksemejaras commentary on the siva sutras. I also liked liu I-Mings commentary on understanding reality.

I prefer the texts in book form. I would like some sort of compendium with many of the texts in one volume.

I would like to know some quality translators before buying a book.

Thanks for your reply

Love-light

Tony

As far as I know, Jaideva Singh's translations of Kashmiri Shaivism texts are the best that are out there but I've struggled with finding reliable translations myself which is why I'd point you towards Atma Darshan and Atma Nirvriti translated into English by the author - Sri Atmananda Krishna Menon.

However, you'll find some translations by Ananda Wood - one of Sri Atmananda's disciples here:-

https://sites.google...advaitaenquiry/

The only other translations which I'd recommend are by Francis Lucille: -

www.stillnessspeaks.com/Francis_Lucille_Translations where you'll find a translation of Shankara's Atma Bodha

Sorry that I haven't answered your question very well but it's the best that I can do (and I hope that it's helpful, albeit tangentially :) )

Sign in to follow this