Sign in to follow this  
Panas trismegistos

Taijiquan action movie ?

Well there's Tai Chi and then there's super powered kung fu. I missed Tai Chi Zero in the theaters but mean to rent it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1981080/ Needless to say it falls into the super powered category. Which actually makes up most of the genre these days.

Jet Li is a legitimate martial arts master with long years of training. Some of his films will show solid solo routines. Hate to say it but while beautiful to watch real Taijiquan may be to boring to show in an action film.

• Like 2

This one has the same title as the Jet Li film, but is completely different. I saw it a few years back and really enjoyed it.

Tai Chi Master

It was compiled from a TV series directed by Yuen Woo-Ping, who did the martial arts choreography for "Crouching Tiger", "The Matrix", "Kill Bill" and many others. The main character was played by Jacky Wu.

Among other things, it includes the story of a Yang Lu Chan-type character who spies on the Chen family to learn their secret art, a fight in pagoda where the main character faces a different type of martial art on each level (like in Bruce Lee's "Game of Death"), and a fight with a Bagua guy on a either a trampoline or tight rope-like apparatus (I forget).

Whenever the main character is about to fight somebody he says "Please teach me" to them... Awesome!

• Like 4

Among other things, it includes the story of a Yang Lu Chan-type character who spies on the Chen family to learn their secret art, a fight in pagoda where the main character faces a different type of martial art on each level (like in Bruce Lee's "Game of Death"), and a fight with a Bagua guy on a either a trampoline or tight rope-like apparatus (I forget).

Whenever the main character is about to fight somebody he says "Please teach me" to them... Awesome!

That sounds interesting ^_^

Thank you .

MAN OF TAI CHI Movie had some awesome Taijiquan scenes .

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2016940/

Not so much taichi in there. :(

I like more the classics:

Taichi Master (Twin Warriors - Jet Li)

Taichi master II (Taichi Boxer - Jing Wu)

Drunken Taichi (Donnie Yen)

Secret Of Tai Chi (1985)

Pushing hands (by Ang Lee the guy who directed Life of Pi)

Other recommended movies:

Wu Xia 2011(Dragon - Donnie Yen)

Shaolin 2011 (Jing Wu, jackie Chan and others famous)

Yamada the samuray of Ayothaya (Thai-Japan movie with muay thai acting Buakaw Por Pramuk, this is better than all movies from above)

You can find all of them on youtube.

Edited by Andrei

I aslo recommend "Tai Chi Master".

As I recall it's a mythological version of the story of Chang San Feng inventing Tai Chi.

You might also find it on DVD or on the web under the alternate title "Twin Warriors"

On my watch list for tonight is "The Storm Riders" with Aaron Kwok, Ekin Cheng & Sonny Chiba.

Okay, forget this movie. Just a fantasy thing with no real martial arts.

Yeah, i couldn't watch it more than 10 min. Instead I watched the second time Yamada the samurai of Ayothaya free on youtube. I am recommending you to see it Marblehead, if you like swords and especially double swords techniques.

Edited by Andrei

WoW! Thanks for the tip and the link. I'm about 40 minutes into the film but had to stop in order to deal with things that need be done. I will get back to it. Thaks again.

Yes, that was a very good movie. I thought of Tony Jaa while watching the boxing.

Interesting that the two-sword guy used both swords as offensive weapons at the same time. My practice requires one to always be offensive and the other defensive. (That's more in line with the way Tai Chi moves.)

Okay. Five star rating - highly recommended.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that the sword/dagger combination in the movie is pretty effective too. This style is total offense as well. And actually, Thai boxing is totally offensive. I should not have been surprised that the double sword style was totally offensive.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this