Sign in to follow this  
Yoda

Stretching vs Massage

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the difference is in terms of the benefits of stretching vs massage.

I'm reading the Trigger Point massage book at the moment and he says that massage stretches the muscle more precisely and effectively than does stretching and targets the knots/trouble spots more effectively.

I've noticed that at least in this book healing is the focus vs health/well being/improved performance seem to be the focus of most stretching type books I've read.

They are both lovely. If anyone can give me some thoughts/languaging to deepen my understanding on this front, that'd be most appreciated.

-Yoda

benefits of stretching vs massage.
I don't know if they're comparable. With stretching, your body is engaged in doing the work. That's a huge kinesthetic that changes a lot. With massage, you're laying there receiving. And the results are so, so different. How can I compare stretching my hamstring with someone walking on my back???

Well, I'm thinking the similarities are greater relaxation and energy flow in general. There are passive stretching techniques and many forms of assisted stretching that sort of happen to you too. I'm thinking the big difference is that massage is just the same as stretching but on a smaller scale.

In the book I'm currently reading (something like intro to deep tissue massage) just said to think of massage as a form of stretching. That'll help one's deep tissue/myofascial release technique to think along the lines of stretching rather than compressing or pumping the muscle. Especially, don't squash the muscle against a bone.

I find if the muscles are in a really bad, knotted, and shortened state it's much more effective to do some trigger point release, yourself or someone working on you. This can be a godsend when it comes to overstressed tendons that may already be pulling away from the bone because of shortened muscles. Stretching can just aggravate this condition.

And in the other extreme if you're hypermobile, which is very flexible, you really don't want to stretch because you may often overstretch, which causes damage to the joints over time. Then the trigger point release is ideal for you, allowing you to release tight muscles without damaging the joint.

What I find ideal for most peopel is a combination of the two. Stretching (or tai chi, bagua, qigong, yoga, whatever your love) and self-trigger point release--unless you have a really great practitioner who can really read your body. And you have money for such a thing. Though to learn effective trigger point release it's good to learn from someone who know so you know what is and isn't pushing it--and in this way you'll never age in a can't-bend-down-and-touch-your-toes kind of way. And so who knows, maybe this is the longevity elixir.

it seems that *everyone* knows about Trigger Point Therapy and likes it,

Yes :) I've got

The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief,

Second Edition by Clair Davies, Amber Davies, and David G. Simons (Paperback - Jul 2004)

(the workbook has enough infomation that you don't need the reference book to get results)

Do you have a "Thera-cane" or a "Back Knobbler" like they talk about? I've got a "Thera-cane" and found it really helped with trigger point therapy, much better than a tennis ball in a sock, very expensive but well worth it.

Unfortunatly I don't have any luck getting anyone to massage me so I can't comment on a stretching vs massage :)

Yoda, Riggs' book is excellent. The best I've come across. His deep massage techniques will also release trigger points.

And I agree with Mal, that if you get Davies' book, much cheaper than Travell and Simons' or Chaitow's textbooks (it'll run you about $20 online), you'll have all the info you need.

Also a much cheaper version of the canes is the Acu/Shiatsu bar. With the tennis balls I've found they can be too soft for a lot of the 'hard bodies' out there (LOL! Hard body is not a sought after thing in trigger point land!), so some hi-bounce rubber balls of varying sizes work even better.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I guess I stumbled into some good resources... cool!

Sign in to follow this