mantis

Depression

6 hours ago, silent thunder said:

Grounds for immediate perma-ban on most other forums.

Unconscionable behavior.

Unanimous decision. BANNED.

DO NOT EDIT ANOTHER MEMBER'S POST--EVER

Twice this has happened, Twice the ban hammer fell.

Edited by zerostao
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Cleansox said:

Yes, one should not play with oneself in solitary while doing neidan. 😁 

Or, otherwise I suppose  ; ) after all it takes two to tango right?

23 hours ago, natural said:

So wealthy peeps are immune to depression?

I beg to differ.

Perhaps transitory .  I remember watching a movie long ago . Some guy was working on an emergency hotline, people would ring up that had 'dire need' .  One night, someone rings up ; ' I have had enough, I am going to kill myself ." The other offers him $50 bucks not to do it .  No . So he keeps upping the amount until .....  '  Yeah , okay . "      :D    But thats a movie .  This solution is more of the band aid type. It would not last IMO, and if the person is still depressed and unbalanced , what are they likely to use that money for ?

IMO the root of depression is 'soul fulfillment ' not knowing and not practicing/fulfilling   the reason / path / expression we came here for ;  one's 'True Will' , Khvarenah .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cleansox said:

Some find the power threat meaning framework useful. 

In what way?

Please excuse my ignorance.

/

4 hours ago, zerostao said:

Unanimous decision. BANNED.

DO NOT EDIT ANOTHER MEMBER'S POST--EVER

Twice this has happened, Twice the ban hammer fell.

Is it possible to make a pinned post highlighting this specific rule in general and explaining why it’s bad for all members to see?

I’ve been on the receiving end of my own posts being edited by a banned member and I suspect some people don’t understand why it’s a serious offense. 

They probably either think they’re being funny or summarizing a post to avoid long block quotes, but it’s becoming more common I see not just here, and it’s always annoying when someone does it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nungali said:

Perhaps transitory .  I remember watching a movie long ago . Some guy was working on an emergency hotline, people would ring up that had 'dire need' .  One night, someone rings up ; ' I have had enough, I am going to kill myself ." The other offers him $50 bucks not to do it .  No . So he keeps upping the amount until .....  '  Yeah , okay . "      :D    But thats a movie .  This solution is more of the band aid type. It would not last IMO, and if the person is still depressed and unbalanced , what are they likely to use that money for ?

IMO the root of depression is 'soul fulfillment ' not knowing and not practicing/fulfilling   the reason / path / expression we came here for ;  one's 'True Will' , Khvarenah .

If money made depression go away, why are most of the miserable people I’ve encountered children of millionaires and yet the happiest I’ve met tend to be humble folks?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

If money made depression go away, why are most of the miserable people I’ve encountered children of millionaires and yet the happiest I’ve met tend to be humble folks?

One of the previous mods here edited/plagiarized one of my posts and when I lodged a complaint nothing was done about it. Appears that will change now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

Is it possible to make a pinned post highlighting this specific rule in general and explaining why it’s bad for all members to see?

I’ve been on the receiving end of my own posts being edited by a banned member and I suspect some people don’t understand why it’s a serious offense. 

They probably either think they’re being funny or summarizing a post to avoid long block quotes, but it’s becoming more common I see not just here, and it’s always annoying when someone does it.

32 minutes ago, ralis said:

One of the previous mods here edited/plagiarized one of my posts and when I lodged a complaint nothing was done about it. Appears that will change now.

I am aware of two instances on this site: Seeking having done it on this thread to natural and Threeleaf doing it to a post of Nungali's.

Three current mods agreed this is perma ban offense.

If there are previous examples of this on this site; feel free to report it. Even if it is water under the bridge at this point (if it occurred under previous mods) it could still be useful putting members who use this tactic on my radar. Or PM me if you like.

Certainly file a report of future violations. In both cases that I was aware of, the Ban Hammer was swift.

Apologies to Earl Grey and ralis that this happened to your posts on this site.

It probably is a good idea to pin a post regarding this type of infraction. I doubt a rule was specifically worded to fit this transgression. I wouldn't have thought it necessary TBH, seems obvious, yet,,,here we are.  It does fall under Mod discretion. Admin has broader discretion to address whatever may surface.  It may be a good idea for members/new members to review the moderation logs 

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5-5-2013 at 9:42 PM, dmattwads said:

I had some what of a personal insight to depression during meditation today. After sitting in mindfulness for a while I became aware of the feeling of depression. So I watched it for a while. The next thing I became aware of was that it seemed that underneath or beyond what I label "depression" or a depressing feeling was a specific inner dialogue. I saw / heard two sides of my subconscious talking to each other. One side was very critical, the other side was the side getting bummed out by being criticized. The next thing I became aware of was this very tight knotted feeling in my solar plexus area, specifically the left side of it going under my lower rib cage. I realized that these feelings were emanating from this area and that it was always tight there and usually I just didn't pay much attention to it. As I kept simply observing it for a while it seemed to lighten up quite a bit, and some of that tightness seemed to loosen up and turn into this "buzzing" feeling lol.

seeing this is an old post I hope those feelings have resolved now. Although it is decades ago, depression is wellknown for me and I do remember that tightness in the solar plexus all too well.

------------

Concerning the discussion above, methinks there are several pathways that can lead to depression, thus treatment cannot be a onesize fits all recipe. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, helpfuldemon said:

I suffer from bi polar schizophrenia.  I have manic psychosis highs followed by depressing lows.  I've spent years laying in bed in depression or psychosis.  I used to be able to change my thinking to uplifting positive thoughts but no more; my mind is broken.  Sometimes its as easy as that though, for it is what used to work for my depression.  I don't take anti-depressants but I think I should get on some, though being awake is a chore for me, I find that I don't have anything to do.  I can't think and I don't like to watch television and I can't read for fear that my thoughts will get out of hand.  I'm getting accustomed to this state though, scary enough as it is to get accustomed to nothingness.  

even though a lot of people tend to shy away from medications you would do well to follow up on the thought of going to a doctor/psychiatrist to see what medications can help you get to feel better and have more energy. Reading the combination of diagnoses that might not be antidepressants though. It's a big step to take but give it a try. Maybe someone can help you to find a good doctor and make an appointment. You may be surprised at what it will bring you.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, blue eyed snake said:

even though a lot of people tend to shy away from medications you would do well to follow up on the thought of going to a doctor/psychiatrist to see what medications can help you get to feel better and have more energy. Reading the combination of diagnoses that might not be antidepressants though. It's a big step to take but give it a try. Maybe someone can help you to find a good doctor and make an appointment. You may be surprised at what it will bring you.

I would also suggest looking into medication, helpfuldemon.  And I say this as someone who is very suspicious of pharmaceutical companies generally and almost always prefers to treat things in a natural way.  My partner has schizoaffective disorder.  He takes medication for it and his pills help a great deal.  They aren't a perfect cure but with the meds he can function and even, sometimes, enjoy his life.  No small thing.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your concern, I do take meds, it helps quite a bit, but not with the depression.  I am thinking about getting on an anti depressant

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Earl Grey said:

Ahhh, thats becasue it doesnt  make it go away . The situation I described above seems more like a transitory bribe .

'Children of millionaires' ..... :)     My Ex !    :)    I know all about it .   ( She dumped me in a nasty way , lost her inheritance and then I got one , totally out the blue  :D    Thats how things seem to work  in the   'my' Universe  .  ;)   )  .

Yes, many humble people are happy ,  I think the vacuum left in their ego allows a space for  happiness to enter ? :D 

The happiest ( I mean Happy / fulfilled /  at peace / excited / ' naturally suited to'    ....   that unusual combination of things a 'satisfied being' manifests ) people I have met are  people that are doing the thing they love the most  and are getting paid for it ie. as their career ).  Or indigenous people, that seem to have not much  materially , but have a deep spirituality and know their individual place in the world . However displaced indigenous that have this stripped from them  can sink into deep depressions ( just like 'westerners' do under the same conditions ) .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zerostao said:

I am aware of two instances on this site: Seeking having done it on this thread to natural and Threeleaf doing it to a post of Nungali's.

If there are previous examples of this on this site; feel free to report it. Even if it is water under the bridge at this point (if it occurred under previous mods) it could still be useful putting members who use this tactic on my radar. Or PM me if you like.

Certainly file a report of future violations. In both cases that I was aware of, the Ban Hammer was swift.

It probably is a good idea to pin a post regarding this type of infraction. I doubt a rule was specifically worded to fit this transgression. I wouldn't have thought it necessary TBH, seems obvious, yet,,,here we are.  It does fall under Mod discretion. Admin has broader discretion to address whatever may surface.  It may be a good idea for members/new members to review the moderation logs 

Thank you, I think the mods can just clearly create a thread since its becoming an issue that needs to be spelled out moving forward. Sad that we have to do this, but that's the way the world is developing now.

1 hour ago, zerostao said:

Errr ... I feel a bit disappointed that Seeking got banned .  The one with me and three leaf was one of those ongoing forum arguments where one chooses to use 'tactics' instead of reasonable debate, Q & A , response, citations, etc .   And eventually 3 leaf  did a fake misquote as an extension of his ongoing tactics .

Seeking just seemed to be in a smarmy mood or something  and was posting a bit gnarly and probably went to far ...  the 'comic' could have been posted  UNDER the quote box  instead of in it  ( and I hope it wasnt a mistake that it went in the quote box ) .

But I dunno , maybe you guys talked to him about it ? But 'ban hammer' doesnt really sound like a discussion .

I have done it myself , to save space ; sometimes I will quote a whole post and highlight one small bit of it I want to respond to , other times I will just delete it and add  .................    either side .  In other forms of writing this signifies 'part quote' .

What is worse is my dodgy computer has 'cursor jump' and can randomly insert part of text elsewhere , happens so often and for so long I just get used to correcting it .  And yes, sometimes , some of my text I am trying has jumped into a quote box I had up on the page !  I have seen that twice  and a third time , weeks after , I had missed it when it happened and saw it on a reread later .

Ummmm .... so  if you see something like that from me .... maybe check first instead of 'instant ban hammer'  thanks . 

here is  what 'cursor jump' looks like, uncorrected  ;

You have been happily typing away , you look down at the keyboard  and keep typing and all oen cursor has jumped to another part of the text. f a sudden the frigg

( ' and all of a sudden the friggen cursor has jumped to another part of text.  ' )

Edited by Nungali
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

Because the means typically required to attain so much money make unhappy. That is the price of buying into it. Selling your soul. Closing the heart.

But if someone attaines riches without having to jump through those soul-tainting hoops, that is not the case.

That doesn't mean that all depressions can be resolved that way, but a lot of it is conditional; a reaction to sick society.

From my own experience I can say that I can identify dozens if not hundreds of issues of different magnitude in my life that I have been struggling for many years with, trying to figure out how to deal with them, resolve them, and they would all dissolve if I had a financially secured future, enough money to shape my own domain, so to speak.
I can do many things in a smart and thoughtful way, and it low-level drives me nuts to be coercibly subjected to the rules and ways of stupid/rotten people. That might sound blunt, but I burned out trying to compromise and arrange. It is like a slow death. The soul cannot breathe freely, get some relief from lifelong deprivation.

10 hours ago, Nungali said:

Errr ... I feel a bit disappointed that Seeking got banned .  The one with me and three leaf was one of those ongoing forum arguments where one chooses to use 'tactics' instead of reasonable debate, Q & A , response, citations, etc .   And eventually 3 leaf  did a fake misquote as an extension of his ongoing tactics .

Seeking just seemed to be in a smarmy mood or something  and was posting a bit gnarly and probably went to far ...  the 'comic' could have been posted  UNDER the quote box  instead of in it  ( and I hope it wasnt a mistake that it went in the quote box ) .

But I dunno , maybe you guys talked to him about it ? But 'ban hammer' doesnt really sound like a discussion .

I have done it myself , to save space ; sometimes I will quote a whole post and highlight one small bit of it I want to respond to , other times I will just delete it and add  .................    either side .  In other forms of writing this signifies 'part quote' .

What is worse is my dodgy computer has 'cursor jump' and can randomly insert part of text elsewhere , happens so often and for so long I just get used to correcting it .  And yes, sometimes , some of my text I am trying has jumped into a quote box I had up on the page !  I have seen that twice  and a third time , weeks after , I had missed it when it happened and saw it on a reread later .

Ummmm .... so  if you see something like that from me .... maybe check first instead of 'instant ban hammer'  thanks . 

here is  what 'cursor jump' looks like, uncorrected  ;

You have been happily typing away , you look down at the keyboard  and keep typing and all oen cursor has jumped to another part of the text. f a sudden the frigg

( ' and all of a sudden the friggen cursor has jumped to another part of text.  ' )

We can't please everyone. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, zerostao said:

We can't please everyone. 

Since the original 'perma-ban' got lowered to a 7 day suspension  - I am pleased .

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

Since the original 'perma-ban' got lowered to a 7 day suspension  - I am pleased .

Date Stamp