ShenLung

[TTC Study] Approaches to Tao

There is a tendency to read and study philosophical works in the same way one reads a technical manual: Read a little, figure out what it means, read a little more, ect. and go back over the parts where further clarification is needed.

I propose that this is not the best way to read the TTC. Tao Te Ching is, in a way, a technical manual; the essential technical manual for comprehending the nature of existance, but it is also a work of philosophy. As such, it is drawn with words, not diagrams, and the words themselves are like the brush strokes of a painting. A purely analytical approach cannot reveal the meaning in the same way that one cannot grasp the signifigance of a painting by analysing it's brush strokes.

To properly see it, one must look at the entire picture, or, in this case, read the entire work, front to back, without stopping to ponder overmuch the meaning of the individual words and phrases. There will be time to get close and admire the masterful brush strokes later - look at the whole picture first.

After reading TTC all the way through, relax, and breathe. The breath is important, if it does not become clear, breathe again, and allow the picture to resolve itself in your mind.

In some traditions, it is said that the breath itself is the purest prayer to god: it is thanks, it is praise, it is appreciation. If you are uncomfortable with the concept of god, you can substitute whatever label you like - it is that which cannot be described in terms of this reality, as it is beyond this reality.

Breathe. This is first and foremost. This is life; the entire cosmos is contained and described in just this simple act.

• Like 1

I agree with your premise but would add that the extent of our idea on 'integrating with the whole' is also going to either impose a limit or provide limitlessness.

Meaning: If all you accept/believe/operate on is a physical level of understanding then that is all it will be limited to. But if you operate under the assumption that physical-energetic-spiritual are all equally a part of the whole then there is no limit.

But I would say that your idea is very good as it would encourage the limited to move beyond their limits. Nice post.

To understand it you need a key

Which you get from understanding it in the first place

But to understand it you need the key... that you get from understanding it...

What a paaaaaaaaaain

• Like 1

I like your thoughts ShenLung. I think for many people that is really good advice, another option for a different approach, a reminder to not be frustrated.

For me, reading the TTC was not a goal from beginning to end. I had read the first chapter, and from there, I was enlightened. I wanted to read the rest of the TTC because chapter 1 woke me up. Perhaps one chapter of the TTC is alone enough the entirety of the TTC, personally (subjectively). For me, I feel this is the case.

I have read the TTC, multiple times. But from chapter one alone, that was all I needed. I'm not saying I understood everything, absolutely not. What I am trying to say is perhaps a piece of the TTC can be the entire TTC, whatever works for whatever individual - whatever it is they need to hear.

So for me, a specific part of the larger whole, was for me, as the entire whole.

For me, reading the TTC was not a goal from beginning to end.

For me it was quite different. After reading the TTC a few times I was still not comforable with it. For me there was too much talk of politics, spirits, etc. Then I read Chuang Tzu. AhHa!

I returned to the TTC and found much more value in the words by associating what Lao Tzu said with what Chuang Tzu said.

Yes, I am an Anarchist at heart. I didn't know that until after reading Chuang Tzu. (And this was even after having done a lot of reading of Nietzsche!)

Don't get me wrong. I find great value in the TTC. But for me, if one has not read Chuang Tzu one is not getting a full picture of what Philosophical Taoism is all about.

Don't get me wrong. I find great value in the TTC. But for me, if one has not read Chuang Tzu one is not getting a full picture of what Philosophical Taoism is all about.

Hmh, I should probably read him then haha. Interesting.

I think for anyone who is serious about the path of spirit, it is important to internalize the TTC and to use the mindset of the Sage in our everyday life. How close can we come to having the mindset of the Sage? How close can we be to possessiing the 3 Treasures of the Sage? I see the TTC as more of an owner's manual for the human spirit. This same owners' manual can be found at the far reaches of any tradition - in my study of various philosophies, which has been pretty extensive over the years, they all seem to come down to Know Thyself - which to my way of thinking is what is necessary to develop the treasures.

But the TTC is so very valuable because it seems to be the condensed essence of all paths boiled down, boiled down to the One, where they all lead in their terminal endings. It is short. It is easily internalized, and when triangulated with various translations, I don't think there's much human wisdom that isn't found in there.

When I first read the TTC, it was from beginning to end. It's almost impossible (if you're paying attention) to keep from stopping and reflecting for a bit on each chapter but I think you have to read it all first. Then go back and reread the chapters that speak most to you. I've found over the years that different chapters speak to me more at different times in my life depending on what I'm going through at the moment,

Now I often open it up to a random page and read just to get a quick boost of momentum, like while I'm waiting for the shower to heat up over 2 minutes, or waiting for the coffee to brew.

This thread isn't about the tao te ching, but rather the philosophy of taoism and should be moved to the general discussion area.

Aaron

Edited by Aaron