adept

Shaolin Internal Practices

There are many internal practices in the Shaolin based arts.

Could we make this a place to post some information and demonstrations.

I like this one a lot :

• Like 1

I have his book and video. Wanted to practice it but now I think it is kinda more external training which takes much time to do it. IMO better to spend your time for neikung/alchemy practice.

I have his book and video. Wanted to practice it but now I think it is kinda more external training which takes much time to do it. IMO better to spend your time for neikung/alchemy practice.

Go ahead practice it !

Try one move at a time for a few days, then add next one...etc etc... Once you master it, it should only take 15 minutes or so.

If you add warm up's, stretching, stance work and meditation, it's a good 1 hour plus.

Try the stances throughout the day, especially the horse stance, keeping correct posture and alignment.

It looks external but hidden within is one of the best health management systems ever invented. It's that good !

As Shifu Yan Lei says "with this practice, over time, body make own medicine" :)

It depends on your interpretation of neikung. It means 'inner work', which this most definitely is.

Neikung and alchemy are not all about sitting crosslegged, retention of semen, storing chi and moving it in the body etc etc. That is a crossover with Tantric practices of the southern school. It is but one way of study and practice and can be dangerous to physical and mental health if done unsupervised.

According to the northern school of Complete Reality the Golden Elixir is nothing but our own pristine fundamental nature obscured by a lifetime of cultural and social conditioning. We merely have to 'turn around the light' and look inward.

Read the works of Liu I Ming, Thomas Cleary (especially The Secret Of The Golden Flower) and some Ch'an literature for another perspective.

Best wishes

I have learned 4 exercises from this set. I like it. But if you do all of them + meditation then it is 1 hour + indeed.

And I started to think that I could spend this time for the morning 1 hour neikung session. It is may be important to do ONE technic all the time to master it to the high level. But I come accross with the problem that I feel myself sluggish just after I wake up early in the morning. And anyway we should do some kind of callisthenics anyway to have combined approach from both internal and extrernal. Good point actually. There is also some yi jin jing Sifu Yan Lei teachs. Also might be very good stuff for the health promation. Can be done during a day for some 20 minutes.

How can one tell that which style is internal or external......???

It is very easy to distinguish them. The styles that are moving soft and gracefully with breathing were considered to be internal(Neigong) . In the contrary, any style which requires to hitting something with any body part by consuming body energy, with heavy perspiring, was considered to be external practice.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

Watched a VCD of the first form of Rou Quan from Mao Jingguang. I think that Chen taiji would be more accessible and provide the same benefit. The Rou Quan set and Chen taiji look very similar and I think Sal Canzonieri has a valid position in that Chen shi is more Shaolin influenced than anything from Zhang Sanfeng. There was definitely Daoist influence in the Rou Quan set, who knows what the original set looked like.

I do agree that Rou Quan, with Fa Jin, is similar to the second level of Tai Ji at moderate speed rather in slow motion as in the first level.

Edited by ChiDragon