Sabina

Forgotten...

Hello!

I am new to this site, and "forgot" whether or not I did a check in. :)

I am a new consciously practicing Taoist. The more I learn, the more I realize I have tried to live by these beliefs and principles since I was young. I enjoy the fact that I can consciously look at life with a different perspective now and can view it more with a positive attitude, since I seemed to have lost that somewhere along the way.

I look forward to reading what all of you have to say and learning from you as well.

Sabina

I hope you can refind what you feel youve lost

but the sentiment in your post reminds me of the lesson in the wizard of Oz

they pretty much had what they were seeking already.

:)

• Like 2

Stosh...what I had forgotten was to post in the lobby. I don't think I had done so already and after looking just momentarily, I didn't see a previous post from me, so "poof" here it is. :) I have a tendency to forget things. It's not a negative in my eyes, just a rather obvious statement to myself that it wasn't high on the priority list. :D LOL!

I love your reference though. I have issues with where I am in my life right now, and have always had issues with identity....so I am hoping that through my journey I can put some it to rest. I may already have what I'm looking for, but have recently learned that when I am too close to the situation, I am blinded to what is right in front of me. Need to be able to step outside my situation and see it in a way others probably do, but can't tell me because they aren't me. Know what I mean?

Look forward to making some new friends on here. :)

since I seemed to have lost that somewhere along the way.

I think its really very difficult to see things the way others do , or to step outside ones own situation.

But perspective is a helpful thing to cultivate.

One thing I like to do is tone down the internal dialogue that one tends to run as a constant subroutine during the day.

It helps me see what is really going on at the time. It isnt dropping all thinking and sitting blank , its just removing the words.

I find it "grounding" and I still end up doing the stuff I need to get done.

I hope you are making headway here deciding whos worldview aligns well enough with your own to glean ideas from

(but not to get too many words floating around in your mind that you cant tone them down.)

:)

• Like 1

Welcome to the site, Sabina! What are some of your practices?

On a side note, SCA is something I've always been interested in but never had much time for. I love Renaissance Festivals though, and work as an apprentice leathersmith for a shop at one.

I can't say as if I have any "practices" other than taking the personal journeys subconsciously that I have in the past, or even the things I deal with in daily life that I need to figure out being shoved into my subconscious so that I may ponder them at my own pace. I figure out a LOT that way. My life is very full, too full, with things that are outside my control yet, that I can't ignore. Taoism has allowed me to accept my life and realize it's not a personal vendetta against me. So much more I could ramble on about on this topic, but maybe it should have more of it's own thread.

I am also very new to Taoism in general, so I am curious to these different practices there are.

Sorry if this post seems "broken"...my mind is elsewhere today.

Oh, as for the SCA. I joined since I wanted something my children and I could do together as a family, and since I love history and learning it opened a lot of avenues for both. :) I have researched alchemy and medical practices from the medieval times. Right now, I am working on trying to start a musical theatre group for kids & teens. :) I also need to get some info together to start teaching classes on alchemy & medical practices. I think that would be a lot of fun. :)

There are many things to do in the SCA....just have find your passion with it. :) Plus I love camping in the summer months. :)

Edited by Sabina

Great activity to keep the family together! Alchemy is a fascinating subject - have you studied mostly western alchemy?

Living life is a pretty big practice in and of itself. :) I was just curious if you had any "formal" cultivation practices.

You'll be exposed to a LOT of different practices on this forum, Taoist and otherwise. All sorts of practitioners post here. :)

When I study things, I usually am studying more about what it is, where it came from...the history of it, and what all it entails. I studied Alchemy from the Egyptians up through Northern Africa, and how it made it's way into Europe. I know Asia had it's own Alchemy studies as well, but I have never researched that aspect.

No, no formal cultivation practices. I live in a state so taken over by the Reformed Churches. It is difficult to find much of any other religion/culture. I know there is a Buddhist Temple, as well as a Jewish "church", here in this city. Outside the city, you will find nothing but Christianity. Not highly diverse.

I have quite a menagerie of friends though. I have a handful of close Pagan friends, Wiccan and Shaman who have taught me what it is to be a Pagan. I find it highly interesting, but it wasn't "me." I researched Buddhism, as I have a Buddhist friend, but it still felt like something was missing. I have read a couple Taoism books, have done some research online and so far, I feel I have found my niche. I will continue my reading, and work on trying some more formal practices and see what I come up with. :)