Seeker of Wisdom

Chundi mantra

Wow, what an epic thread!

I'm interested in the "mythological" or symbolic aspects of Cundi. What does she, as a "figure," really represent in metaphysical terms? I have read everything I could find about Cundi in English (which isn't much) and, while there is quite a lot about the practice (as in this thread) I have found very little about who/what Cundi is supposed to be, though it's not difficult to speculate.

The Sutra doesn't mention her at all, just the dharani. The dharani mentions her name but the "namah" is directed to "saptanam samyaksambodhi kotinam tadyatha" (the millions of  Buddhas). Bill Bodri seems pretty consistently to refer to Cundi as "him" and even says somewhere that Cundi is actually "male." The Tibetans seem to consider Cundi to be a mother of a certain Buddha family (Lotus?) Some masters, and even many folks on a popular level, have considered Cundi an emanation of Kannon/Avalokitesvara (as in Japan).

As I said, I'm interested in the deep symbolism here. Master Nan Huai Chin mentions that she is "a Boddhisattva, the Great Buddha Mother, source or origin of the Dharmas (this is in "Grass Mountain," in the glossary under "Chung-T'i.") Is there a sense in which Cundi can be considered analogous to Shakti, the "power" of Shiva?--or better, from a Buddhist iconographical perspective, a form of Prajnaparamita (hence Emptiness/Wisdom itself--perhaps somewhat analogous to Sophia in the Gnostic tradition?)

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has more knowledge than me about this fascinating aspect of Cundi 🙏

Edited by Radix
Grammar, punctuation
  • Like 1

I just discovered this thread - rather late, I know. I noticed that the first post includes an image showing two versions of the accompanying mudra (hand seal) for the Maha Cundi Dharani practice. One person said that the first version was not the appropriate one, and having tried both albeit briefly, my instincts tell me that this assumption is probably correct, because the first version simply immediately did not feel right. 
I wondered whether any of you have actually tried combining the first mudra with the Maha Cundi Dharani practice, and if so can you confirm whether there were any negative effects?

I would also like to know the source of these images, because I am understandably wary of certain information disseminated on the Internet, since disinformation and misinformation abounds these days. 

On 1/7/2020 at 7:28 AM, DSCB57 said:

I just discovered this thread - rather late, I know. I noticed that the first post includes an image showing two versions of the accompanying mudra (hand seal) for the Maha Cundi Dharani practice. One person said that the first version was not the appropriate one, and having tried both albeit briefly, my instincts tell me that this assumption is probably correct, because the first version simply immediately did not feel right. 
I wondered whether any of you have actually tried combining the first mudra with the Maha Cundi Dharani practice, and if so can you confirm whether there were any negative effects?

I would also like to know the source of these images, because I am understandably wary of certain information disseminated on the Internet, since disinformation and misinformation abounds these days. 

I've never done the mudras yet this mantra affects me more profoundly than any other.

2 hours ago, dmattwads said:

I've never done the mudras yet this mantra affects me more profoundly than any other.

I was in conversation with a senior Tibetan teacher recently, and this subject about difficulties with the Cundi Buddha practice came up. He said its not a common Tibetan Vajrayana practice, and tends to appeal more to Chinese practitioners in parts of Asia. He also mentioned that an empowerment is vital for the practice to proceed with no hindrances. Maybe thats something to look into. 

Since I have a lot of time to experiment with various mantras I think I'm finding that is zhunti mantra and probably nam-myoho-renge-kyo are my go-to mantras for the corona situation, in the economic since especially.

I am very hesitant to do this mantra because of its very strong purging properties but last week I did it again for the first time and maybe a year and OMG that was not fun LOL.

So I've been doing this mantra again lately and I've always experienced a wide range of effects but it seems like lately after I do it I get extremely tired and fall asleep.

On 4/28/2020 at 11:05 PM, dmattwads said:

I am very hesitant to do this mantra because of its very strong purging properties...

I find the more powerful something is, the stronger the purging. Purging by way of liberating past karmic energy. It's not fun but if one uses skillful means to diffuse it it can be very beneficial.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, idiot_stimpy said:

I find the more powerful something is, the stronger the purging. Purging by way of liberating past karmic energy. It's not fun but if one uses skillful means to diffuse it it can be very beneficial.  

Agreed

On 13/04/2020 at 7:18 AM, C T said:

I was in conversation with a senior Tibetan teacher recently, and this subject about difficulties with the Cundi Buddha practice came up. He said its not a common Tibetan Vajrayana practice, and tends to appeal more to Chinese practitioners in parts of Asia. He also mentioned that an empowerment is vital for the practice to proceed with no hindrances. Maybe thats something to look into. 

CT,

I know this comes from that teacher so it is not you that I object to.

The Vajrayana standard thing to hide behind is to say that all things mantra need an empowerment. However, this is not true and not supported by sutras  and experience of other branches.

Also, keep in mind that there are things regarding cultivation that they have no idea about. There are members here that have had incredible hardship from serious kundalini manifestations, and when they asked for help from Tibetan lamas, these teachers were dumbfounded.

For a certain practice, trust the associated lineage. I do. That's why I don't go to my Tibetan Vajrayana teachers for advice on things related to Zhunti.

M

• Like 1

I know much is said about this mantra working on the heart chakra and I agree it does but I've also found it to work a lot on the upper chakras as well. Has anyone else noticed this?

Lately both my daughter and myself I started doing this mantra again and we both had very similar side effects such as backs and necks cracking and being sore weird water blisters on our fingers and being really tired.

On 10/31/2021 at 11:20 PM, dmattwads said:

Lately both my daughter and myself I started doing this mantra again and we both had very similar side effects such as backs and necks cracking and being sore weird water blisters on our fingers and being really tired.

Reading through this thread, I get the impression that if you do this mantra for a while it's good for you. But every time you start up again it seems to cause you a lot of discomfort at first. Why do you stop? Why not just keep going?

And does restarting Chundi ever get easier for anyone?

17 hours ago, EFreethought said:

Reading through this thread, I get the impression that if you do this mantra for a while it's good for you. But every time you start up again it seems to cause you a lot of discomfort at first. Why do you stop? Why not just keep going?

And does restarting Chundi ever get easier for anyone?

Well this time around I have not stopped but in the past I stopped because it got extremely uncomfortable. I think part of that in the past was because I would overdo it.

That's really fascinating... I've had similar very clear shifts in karmic affinities when practicing versus not practicing.

It is better to diffuse one's negative karma with a little bit of bearable pain than in other more fatal or unbearable ways. Definitely wouldn't be the first spiritual practice where deities use their nirmanakaya manifestations to help clear someone's energy system or life karma. May actualy be common to all genuine spiritual traditions.

Anyway, just sharing this video and FB group for those interested:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cundibuddha

Edited by megamorphg
  • Like 1

Seems like its been a little while since this topic has been touched upon. I still hate this mantra but recently began to do it again in order to boost my clinic. I had forgotten how utterly sucky it can make life lol.

3 hours ago, Maddie said:

Seems like its been a little while since this topic has been touched upon. I still hate this mantra but recently began to do it again in order to boost my clinic. I had forgotten how utterly sucky it can make life lol.

When you write about how this mantra makes you uncomfortable, it reminds me of that old joke:

A man says to his doctor: "It hurts when I move my arm like this."

And the doctor says: "Then don't move your arm like that."

But seriously ladies and gents:

Has anyone compated chundi to the Vajrasattva mantra for eliminating bad karma?

1 hour ago, EFreethought said:

When you write about how this mantra makes you uncomfortable, it reminds me of that old joke:

A man says to his doctor: "It hurts when I move my arm like this."

And the doctor says: "Then don't move your arm like that."

But seriously ladies and gents:

Has anyone compated chundi to the Vajrasattva mantra for eliminating bad karma?

I have. My personal experience is that Chundi (Zhunti) is more potent. Actually its more potent than any other practice that I do.

As to the issue of why do I do it when I know how much it makes my life such (which is a good question) I realize its going to make my life suck, but sometimes you just really need to purge bad karma and accomplish things.

Edited by Maddie
  • Like 1

Do you do the full sadhana? Life "sucks" (dukkha) with or without the mantra... much more without the mantra IMO. Is it still the arthritis? Sure it isn't oxalates or something else :-P

I feel like I always get secret solutions and synchronicity when I do the mantra + take massive action (as Bill Bodri talks about in his book White Fat Cow). Like things fall into place. But only after lots of initial effort and wanting... but could it have just happened regardless? I just have been addicted because of the pleasant feelings I get and dharma symbolism surrounding each arms, serving as a foundation for other practices.

On 10/10/2023 at 11:15 PM, megamorphg said:

Do you do the full sadhana? Life "sucks" (dukkha) with or without the mantra... much more without the mantra IMO. Is it still the arthritis? Sure it isn't oxalates or something else :-P

I feel like I always get secret solutions and synchronicity when I do the mantra + take massive action (as Bill Bodri talks about in his book White Fat Cow). Like things fall into place. But only after lots of initial effort and wanting... but could it have just happened regardless? I just have been addicted because of the pleasant feelings I get and dharma symbolism surrounding each arms, serving as a foundation for other practices.

I just do the mantra and like when I first start doing it I feel pretty good but then like a day or two later everything starts to suck lol.

• Thanks 1

I'm back to another Zhunti mantra experiment out of desperation to save my business. Let's see how this goes. 

• Like 1

On 09/04/2024 at 3:58 AM, Maddie said:

I'm back to another Zhunti mantra experiment out of desperation to save my business. Let's see how this goes. 

What’s happening with your business?

25 minutes ago, Apech said:

What’s happening with your business?

we have not been getting enough patients so we are probably going to close soon :-(

• Sad 2

17 minutes ago, Maddie said:

we have not been getting enough patients so we are probably going to close soon :-(

you could try yellow dzambhala mantra