Seeker of Wisdom

Chundi mantra

This month I've been doing this mantra almost exclusively and often. I've noticed that after doing a few hours worth of this mantra that I get very tired and have to pee a lot, and sometimes almost feel feverish. Is this normal?

Hey, I am curious if anyone from this original thread (or anyone else) has maintained the Cundi / Zhunti mantra practice? If so, would you mind sharing your experiences?

This is an interesting dharma door that seems quite rare for Western native English speakers, and besides Bill Bodri's (extremely helpful) online promulgation of Nan Huai-Chin's recommendation of the mantra, it seems the only western audience this practice receives is in certain Chan schools (Master Hsuan Hua and Master Sheng Yen come to mind) where the practice seems either somewhat selective, or limited, to a degree. Though I am not yet affiliated with either of their schools so honestly I really can't say what degree Cundi is practiced. (That said, I've seen an account of the late Master Sheng Yen recommending 200,000 repetitions to a lay student in order for the student to remove obstacles to ordination...and of course it worked.) 

I've really just started not too long ago and my experience is echoing some of the earlier reports here, particularly physical symptoms like pains in heart region that come and go, a more compassionate attitude, the brining up of old emotional issues, some high fever episodes and the flaring of some chronic health conditions I have. It's all been very strange and encouraging, and I was hoping this online sangha had more to share on the topic.

And sorry to revive an old thread, I'm new here, but I thought it made sense to keep the majority of the related information in one spot for future Cundi / Zhunti internet researchers like myself.

• Like 1

I've noticed that I can direct the mantra to help me work out Karma just as Brodi says. A couple years ago I used it to improve my relationship Karma as all my relationships I had tended to be very bad and now I have a very good one. Lately I've been using it to improve my money and success Karma and I noticed at the beginning all kinds of little petty money problems started popping up but I now recognize this as the Mantra working out my bad karma so it can be done with. I've also found it to be very effective for protection from evil spirits.

How do you guys chant the mantra? Do you do mudras or just silently recite it from the heart? Or verbally?

I've never used the mudra before. But I chant it two ways. I will chant it out loud and I will also chant it mentally in my head. Sometimes I will even listen to it being chanted on YouTube.

How do you guys chant the mantra? Do you do mudras or just silently recite it from the heart? Or verbally?

Hey, I am curious if anyone from this original thread (or anyone else) has maintained the Cundi / Zhunti mantra practice? If so, would you mind sharing your experiences?

I have been practicing on and off for the past decade.

You can do it with varying degrees but the more you do it according to the Master Nan's instructions... the more ideal.

http://meditationexpert.com/meditation-techniques/m_buddhist_zhunti_meditation_opens_your_heart_chakra_for_enlightenment.htm

At the minimum I would recommend saying it out loud with the proper mudra.

Anything less and you won't feel the effect as strong.

I will sometimes integrate other visualizations into the (already) complex visualization such as skeleton meditation and duck

egg.

I think after 100,000 recitations I had a connection and even when I don't practice for a while and come back to it again... I feel the effect. It's a good feeling in the chest and an easy smile. A glowing light from within. Even when I just think of the mantra and am not saying anything, this feeling now arises. I have a long ways to go though and have had only a couple of dreams in the past 10 years of zhunti, both dreams ecstatic and pretty nice. I think concentrated practice is the way to go when more serious but if not feeling it any minimal practice will do!

This is an interesting dharma door that seems quite rare for Western native English speakers, and besides Bill Bodri's (extremely helpful) online promulgation of Nan Huai-Chin's recommendation of the mantra, it seems the only western audience this practice receives is in certain Chan schools (Master Hsuan Hua and Master Sheng Yen come to mind) where the practice seems either somewhat selective, or limited, to a degree. Though I am not yet affiliated with either of their schools so honestly I really can't say what degree Cundi is practiced. (That said, I've seen an account of the late Master Sheng Yen recommending 200,000 repetitions to a lay student in order for the student to remove obstacles to ordination...and of course it worked.) 

I do feel that the community of Zhunti practitioners is relatively unknown and disconnected, even though many do practice variants

I just now started a group called "Cundi Bodhisattvas" and am adding those few I know who practice it... feel free to join and be a moderator:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/625318251002375/

Edited by megamorphg

mudra_cundi.jpg

this mudra, when perfected, has the power to cut through even the densest negative energies, or ward off unwanted visits from the twilight zone. 

• Like 4

I've been chanting this mantra and I must say it is very efficacious in bringing out joy. My heart, and especially the back of my head often has blissfulness to the point of orgasm. And this is just by maintaining the cundi mantra throughout the entire day, so I might have reached 100k a long time ago, I have no idea. Only now I'm starting to count my repetitions, but I've done this over a year already.

• Like 1

The "om cale culi cundi svaha" part of the mantra is a heart mantra in the same way that "om mani padme hum" is a heart mantra.

Om cale culi cundi svaha invokes the Five Buddhas with Vairocana in the middle. 

Om mani padme hum is the vibration of the six realms.

Not too sure, but the effects I experienced from either of them are quite different. Cundi mantra gives off a more subdued, gradual buildup of the energy in the heart, while the 6-syllables give a more blazing feeling in my experience (both in Anjali mudra or Lotus mudra).

I wouldn't simplify them like that, though I'd agree they seem to work on the heart more.

Hello,

In the below Zhunti mantra, is the phrase "Om Bolin" need to be added at the end of each Zhunti's mantra?  I am not sure what is "the end of each reciting cycle" mean, hence the preceding question.

Hopefully this is not too dumb a question,  section "IV" paragraph "IV"  the "image" might show up in one's mind (visualization) and not actually in front of a prayer while his/her eyes open, right?  Incidentally I can't even visualize a straight line.

Many Thanks.

http://www.meditationexpert.com/meditation-techniques/m_buddhist_zhunti_meditation_opens_your_heart_chakra_for_enlightenment.htm#

Edited by dontknwmucboutanythng

Hello,

In the below Zhunti mantra, is the phrase "Om Bolin" need to be added at the end of each Zhunti's mantra?  I am not sure what is "the end of each reciting cycle" mean, hence the preceding question.

Hopefully this is not too dumb a question,  section "IV" paragraph "IV"  the "image" might show up in one's mind (visualization) and not actually in front of a prayer while his/her eyes open, right?  Incidentally I can't even visualize a straight line.

Many Thanks.

http://www.meditationexpert.com/meditation-techniques/m_buddhist_zhunti_meditation_opens_your_heart_chakra_for_enlightenment.htm#

End of each recitation cycle I took to mean after each session, however short (even one minute).

The visualizing part is not a "might show up"... BIll explained in his how to mantra audiotape it should be like it just appears.

FOr example, think of an apple. You just saw it your mind right? You did not have to make any effort in imagining it correct?

Same with things like imagining a woman you like and sexual acts involved... you do not have to make any effort in visualization... it just happens. Have the same attitude towards visualization.

I also recommend Bill's newest book on visualization. It is a gem.

• Like 1

End of each recitation cycle I took to mean after each session, however short (even one minute).

The visualizing part is not a "might show up"... BIll explained in his how to mantra audiotape it should be like it just appears.

FOr example, think of an apple. You just saw it your mind right? You did not have to make any effort in imagining it correct?

Same with things like imagining a woman you like and sexual acts involved... you do not have to make any effort in visualization... it just happens. Have the same attitude towards visualization.

I also recommend Bill's newest book on visualization. It is a gem.

In addition to above it needs to be said that visualization skills can be vastly improved for almost all people. The trick is never to tense. Agitated people (and Westerners in particular) tend to tense up a lot during visualization sadhanas, so it is important to check one's body now and then and check that the breathing isn't restricted and muscles aren't chronically contracted.

The whole trick with visualization is to relax and allow the samadhi to grow. As your conceptual consciousness and focus gathers in the field of visualization, the quality naturally improves as better concentration and clarity emerges.

From my experience, and from talking to a couple of fellow cultivators out there.

In short: Relax away tension, and have patience.

Mandrake

• Like 1

On 05/02/2017 at 7:05 PM, lifeforce said:

https://medium.com/vajra-resources/spiritual-cultivation-is-the-cultivation-of-heart-fbf51c1fad86#.ta1vjhm5a

The best resource I've come across on the Cundi mantra and dharani.

The guy who had this page has taken it down. Which is a pity, because there was a Sanskrit long dharani of Cundi which I was going to use in my practice. I've scoured the internet for it but I've come up empty. Does anyone have this ?

39 minutes ago, lifeforce said:

The guy who had this page has taken it down. Which is a pity, because there was a Sanskrit long dharani of Cundi which I was going to use in my practice. I've scoured the internet for it but I've come up empty. Does anyone have this ?

The archived version of that page

http://web.archive.org/web/20170109162811/https://medium.com/vajra-resources/spiritual-cultivation-is-the-cultivation-of-heart-fbf51c1fad86

• Like 2

On 12/27/2016 at 2:28 PM, C T said:

this mudra, when perfected, has the power to cut through even the densest negative energies, or ward off unwanted visits from the twilight zone. 

Yeah, I sometimes do it while falling asleep and I can feel the energies becoming lighter and lighter to some level of satisfaction.... If I do it too long my pinky hurts though. I need to find a way to not make my pinky hurt after 30 min of doing it...

23 hours ago, lifeforce said:

Great find. Thank you.

Yeah wow, I wonder if they took it down due to image copyright.

Have you guys read Nyasa Yoga by Bill Bodri?

It's a new book and he talks about special mantras that can help raise the yang chi (in addition to Zhunti mantra).

My experience with this mantra has been wonderful and horrible lol. A few years ago I was doing it extensively (like several hours every day). A few odd things I noticed was that I had to urinate in small amounts constantly after I got into the second hour. Also while doing this mantra I met my current girlfriend who is one of the nicest people I have ever met anywhere. On a less happy note it seemed like all sorts of crap in life was coming out of the woodwork as well. 

14 hours ago, dmattwads said:

My experience with this mantra has been wonderful and horrible lol. A few years ago I was doing it extensively (like several hours every day). A few odd things I noticed was that I had to urinate in small amounts constantly after I got into the second hour. Also while doing this mantra I met my current girlfriend who is one of the nicest people I have ever met anywhere. On a less happy note it seemed like all sorts of crap in life was coming out of the woodwork as well. 

Wow a few hours? Like multi-tasking or just full focus sadhana?

Does your girlfriend practice, too?

8 hours ago, megamorphg said:

Wow a few hours? Like multi-tasking or just full focus sadhana?

Does your girlfriend practice, too?

Not multitasking, just straight mantra. My gf does not. 

On a less happy note it seemed like all sorts of crap in life was coming out of the woodwork as well. 

I noticed this as well, it seems to accelerate the fruition of negative (or positive) karma which would otherwise take much longer to surface. As I recall, a Chan master said this sort of dharani works at the level of the Alaya consciousness, so it would make sense.

It is very important to turn the hearing around and listen to the Dharani as you chant, and absorb into the sound, matching together with the exhalation. There were several times where I felt like my entire head was lit up by an internal source, as if there was some kind of sun shining down on me even though i had eyes closed. 

Edited by taoguy
  • Like 1

On 25/11/2017 at 1:46 PM, dmattwads said:

[...]

A few odd things I noticed was that I had to urinate in small amounts constantly after I got into the second hour.

[...]

This is a symptom that I've read of in the AYP forum from people who practised mantra meditation.

It is advisable to intersperse a session with chanting, followed by resting in the spaciousness of silence for a few minutes to allow vibrational energy penetrate the subtle body, moving to mandala visualisation before resuming the chant again. 

Just before moving into the space of silence, and also before starting to chant, quietly let out an 'Aaahh'. This dispels any residual stale winds that might have accumulated during the practice. 

It is also worth remembering to seal every session with a dedication of merit. This is so important. 

• Like 3