GrandmasterP

Vedanta: Seven Steps to Samadhi

A useful text for anyone interested in Vedanta is

http://www.osho.nl/New-Osho-NL/EnglBooks/Vedanta.htm

In this gloss on the Akshya Upanishad Osho simplifies and renders accessible ancient wisdom for the modern reader.

Free pdf at

http://www.oshoarchive.com/ebooks/English/download.php?id=MTQ3X1ZlZGFudGFfU2V2ZW5fU3RlcHNfdG9fU2FtYWRoaS5wZGY

Edited by GrandmasterP

Used as it often wrongly is; in a spiritual context, lineage as you are using the word actually implies a religious faith.

Spirituality always begins and ends within and at our still point of cultivation, hence lineage has no bearing on it beyond whatever value the believer chooses to ascribe to it.

All else is history sometimes combined with self delusion.

Derrida calls it 'nostalgia'... "That wistful longing for something one never truly possessed".

Lineage in that religious sense then is a commodity, sometimes bought for cash but more often paid for with desperate belief and that, sometimes-imagined via self-loathing.

Lineage in MA describes an apprenticeship system developed usually with a family and handed on , evolving over time a bit like copyright, nothing more and always with tangible and viaible practical applications as in if it does not work and actually kick erse then the students all leave and go elsewhere. MA lineages are what lineages always were until shysters began flogging eastern religious ways to western punters

But of course you don't believe any of that, do you not; old chum?

HTH

:-)

Edited by GrandmasterP

Ahhh happy days. the old scallywag was as guilty as hell, had he not been rich enough to have bought his way out of jail he'd have done hard time.

Gurus eh?

Can't live with em, not allowed to shoot em.

:-)

Maybe your late Guru ("Osho") should have been sentenced to longer to prevent him from continuing to attempt to corrupt the weak-minded?

Clearly, he didn't learn his lesson while he was locked-up

I had thought that it would be a good idea to start a thread about Lineage, and invite members to contribute any words of wisdom about it that they have come across in their studies, and experiences of it.

Hopefully a useful thread for those that dont comprehend.

• Like 2

I personally just find Osho painful.

And as for lineage, well it is at the root of Vedanta, so if you are disregarding one of Vedantas main principals, then you are not studying Vedanta {outside the realm of a scholar or an outsider... }

• Like 1

I had thought that it would be a good idea to start a thread about Lineage, and invite members to contribute any words of wisdom about it that they have come across in their studies, and experiences of it.

Hopefully a useful thread for those that dont comprehend.

Perhaps this thread could be cloned and renamed and we could continue from this point?

Perhaps this thread could be cloned and renamed and we could continue from this point?

I was thinking of starting it in my pp forum, so that I could moderate it for juice to chaff content! I am genuinley interested in lineage and would like people to feel they really were contributing to a discussion and a sharing and not feel they had to wade through a mountain of chat to do so.

I dont think this thread has started with a good vibe. Its a damp squib.

• Like 3

I was thinking of starting it in my pp forum, so that I could moderate it for juice to chaff content! I am genuinley interested in lineage and would like people to feel they really were contributing to a discussion and a sharing and not feel they had to wade through a mountain of chat to do so.

I dont think this thread has started with a good vibe. Its a damp squib.

I think that you're right about this thread - let it disappear into obscurity.

Could we possibly discuss this in the Vedanta Forum under strict Taobums moderation rules, which, I think, are about as good as it gets?

I personally think that is a valid request and idea HOWEVER it is more than likely that not all members or moderators would agree. I think alarm bells start ringing for some people when topics are treated as of import and tried to be kept readable.. it can be interpretated in an alarmist light as censorship and then panick and reactivity sets in for some. It seems such a simple issue, but, in practice, here, it isnt.

• Like 2

Apparently not, even though his free book is called 'Vedanta.. Seven Steps to Samadhi'...hence I posted it on there. Wiser heads prevailed and the thread has been moved here into General Discussion.

Every now and again in autumn trains round these woodland parts are delayed with station announcements declaring that this is due to "the wrong sort of leaves blocking the line"

Osho's must similarly be the 'wrong' kind of Vedanta .

The book is rather good.

Ever heard of rouge agents?

Ever wondered why these guys get to be called that?

I think its because they know stuff, secret stuff, the juicy bits and all, that standard agents dont, hence they become dangerous to 'lineage' and have to be either ostracized or eliminated, or their rep tainted to such an extent that the whole intelligentsia would never again allow these guys to surface.

Yet, these guys are no less agents.

Even more so, considering.

• Like 1