Sign in to follow this  
RiverSnake

TCM Food Combining

Hey guys the following is a basic and simple graph that i found in The Tao of Health, Sex and Longevity. It basically instructs on the proper methods for mixing foods in ones diet so that your body can run more efficiently and you get a positive exchange of energy from your diet. I have utilized it in my own life and have found it invaluable and now i can't mix my food any other way other wise my body gives me a pretty strong reminder that the way i ate before is not healthy. I feel this is one of the major keys that people don't noticed even though they are eating healthy foods they are still not mixing them properly.

Enjoy, the file is in the attached part. Also i highly recommend his book.

http://www.amazon.co...x and longevity

Edited by OldGreen
  • Like 3

Also i would add that ideally you want to eat each food by itself. Mixing the proper foods is good but eating foods by themselves is better.

-My 2 cents, Peace

Thanks. I have bought this book a few years ago and was wondering if this food combining thing was working and practicable. It looks like it is based on your experience. This is good to know.

Edited by bubbles

Funny how it basically says a large part of the Italian diet is in no way compatible with a TCM lifestyle.

Tomatoes and grains = do not mix!!

Very interesting though as I've found that in the last couple years, eating pasta & tomato sauce makes me feel like crap. I used to eat pasta at least 3 nights a week, for years. Either I've become more sensitive, or I just didn't realize what it was to feel good until the last couple years.

Thanks for the link

eating pasta & tomato sauce makes me feel like crap.

pasta used to be my favorite food. It doesn't make me feel like crap to eat it now, but i definitely eat it a lot less than before starting chikung

One thing i noticed once i started using this diet and my body got used to it was that if i ate improperly i would get a bad stomach ache the next morning and cough up phlegm. Interesting stuff.

-My 2 cents, Peace

• Like 2

The better I eat, the better I feel, and the more I crave actual good food. When I ate whatever I wanted, I could eat whatever I wanted. Now if I eat crap, that's exactly what I feel like.

I guess I've sensitized myself. But I like what I've seen in other threads relating to this concept...at first along your path, when you really start making headway, you're overly sensitive to anything "bad". It all affects you very negatively. At some point when you've progressed further, you can more or less put what you want in your body and feel ok.

It's enough for me to know I'm on my way, even if I'm not very far.

Funny how it basically says a large part of the Italian diet is in no way compatible with a TCM lifestyle.

Tomatoes and grains = do not mix!!

Very interesting though as I've found that in the last couple years, eating pasta & tomato sauce makes me feel like crap. I used to eat pasta at least 3 nights a week, for years. Either I've become more sensitive, or I just didn't realize what it was to feel good until the last couple years.

Thanks for the link

Just today i've had pasta/tomato & cheese sauce for lunch and pizza for dinner. I think i'm screwed :( .

Tomatoes were thought to be poisonous at certain times in history. They do upset my stomach a little and sometimes tomato sauces give me little sores in my mouth. Pasta with cheese or cream sauce on it is tasty, but then no energy and nap time. Pasta with vegetables and a little olive oil seems fine for energy though, so maybe it is about the combination rather than components. Thanks for chart, may get the book.

Just today i've had pasta/tomato & cheese sauce for lunch and pizza for dinner. I think i'm screwed :( .

Yep, no enlightenment for you. :D

• Like 2

http://en.wikipedia....ine_mononitrate

This stuff could play a part in pasta/all bread sensitivity. Anytime i eat anything with this in it i feel pretty terrible

edit - wow that wiki article has been totally stripped of content since the last time i looked at it. Do some googling for more info

Edited by Flolfolil

So, my question regarding all this. To what degree is the whole food combining concept really part of either TCM or taoist practices. I read the book quite a while ago and to me personally it seemed a lot like the connection of food combining in the way the author promotes it and taoism is vague at best.

Personally, I'm not really buying into the food combining theory the author endorses. :-/

Edited by madMUHHH

Tomatoes were thought to be poisonous at certain times in history. They do upset my stomach a little and sometimes tomato sauces give me little sores in my mouth. Pasta with cheese or cream sauce on it is tasty, but then no energy and nap time. Pasta with vegetables and a little olive oil seems fine for energy though, so maybe it is about the combination rather than components. Thanks for chart, may get the book.

tomato sauce gave me little sores on my mouth last night too, but that's because they were over 400 degrees when I took a bite :o

So, my question regarding all this. To what degree is the whole food combining concept really part of TCM/taoist practices. I read the book quite a while ago and to me personally it seemed a lot like the connection of food combining in the way the author promotes it and taoism is vague at best.

Personally, I'm not really buying into the food combining theory the author endorses. :-/

TCM is not neccesarily related to Taoism, albeit they function on many similar core principles.

However, in terms of the efficacy of food combining....its been proven to me in my own personal use. Try it out for yourself and then post the results you get from the practice.

Edited by OldGreen

One of the greatest benefits I am noting from mixing foods properly outside of health and easy digestion is lack of any kind of constipation or difficulty when going to the bathroom. If your an older or a young gentleman or lady and suffer from any kind of constipation when taking a number 2, then I would highly recommend looking into what foods your combining. Bump

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen

maybe if this gets more popular and people think of good recipes i will join in. i don't do diet plans that are primarily based on limiting myself

yea.. Old Green - im a bit hazy on this whole concept- can you post a few examples of what a typical day of eating is? Something that's helped me is not eating after dark... so it seems if i was going to try this i'd have to get 3-5 small meals in earlier in the day, if I'm only eating one type of food at a time

You can eat anything you want. Just make sure your not combining certain foods, look at the PDF. I don't eat complicated meals just very basic stuff.

My 2 cents, Peace

One doesn't need to think of food combining as a diet regimen... more just of good habits that you can work into your regular diet however you want. You can be on the Paleo-diet, the Atkins diet, the whole-foods vegetarian diet, an Ayurvedic diet, or a fast-food diet, and still make an effort at proper food combining. Just know a few things to avoid, if only the worst combinations (like milk + bananas, pasta + tomatoes, etc).

I suppose this does make Italian a little difficult.

Just know a few things to avoid, if only the worst combinations (like milk + bananas, pasta + tomatoes, etc).

Oh shit. Lol

Sign in to follow this