Jedi777

Gift of Tao and Stillness movement meditation

and SM does that faster than anything I've seen.

What I got from reading the "light warrior" is "sit and concentrate on LDT". That's the core practice of most Qi practice system. What does it make SM unique?

I must have missed something reading "light warrior".

As for myself I need IMA not only for the qi development but for some another reasons too. It is what gives me some kind of calisthenics and to maintain form and flexibility and MA aspects all together. Taichi form that I know does not give qi experience. There is no neikung.I really enjoy watching bagua forms and I presume there is very prominent neikung there. I just feel I NEED something for my general wellbeing and IMA meet my needs more then anything other. I have some video and book on xing yi neikung for health and want to practice some initial level of bagua training during the day and in the mornings and evening I will be doing GOT. I was thinking of Iron Shirt but not sure which one is good. There is loads of crap in the west and I don't know who I may trust. And I know that IMA masters were avid practit. indeed and they were quite healthy espec-ly bagua players. I have been looking for years for some prominent qi system. Hope GOT is really one of them but not sure it does everything on all levels for the practic-er. Just wonder. Will try it. There is the same goal to develop LDT and I suppose it should complement each other

Edited by Eugene
  • Like 1

What I got from reading the "light warrior" is "sit and concentrate on LDT". That's the core practice of most Qi practice system. What does it make SM unique?

Theres more to it than that, I suggest reading it again mate

BTW I can not get GOT DVD right now but want to continue meditation practice. I concentrate ob breathing in and out in my belly area. Is it what you doing in GOT? And there is no paper book on GOT in sale. Is somewhere short description of meditation which is very simillar to GOT? I suppose there is no 3d eye concentration in GOT system. Do you pull abdominal back when exhaling or it is fully natural? I come across with many decriptions on meditaion but all of them slightly different

Of course Ya Mu can answer best here but from my understanding -

Not really concentrating as such, more like deepening awareness.

You completely "allow", most other meditation keep the body completely still.

Any movement of the body is due to energy patterns not normal spontaneous movement, i think this is where the transmission is important - you can just set the intent to "pull in" energy then just let everything be.

Personal connection to lineage - i don't have any experience here but have heard some pretty amazing stuff from other students.

A lot of guys that tried to get into mopai, came over to training in stillness movement. Do a search on Mjjbecker if you want more info. He spent time with Chang, and has dedicated himself to SM.

There is something very specific to stillness movement, that is not just put awareness on dantien... and it develops. The stronger your dantien, the deeper the practice goes in my experience. I actually think putting your awareness on dantien is supplemental, and not the main component.... my awareness will drift, but it is not the aspect that is doing the work. It's something else.

The movements initiate the energy, and you hang on.

I can't speak to what exactly about it does what it does, but it is the most energy I've felt cultivated as quickly as I've done it.

But like others have said Lomax can answer the best.

John

Edited by JohnC

Try re-reading the poems.

Edited by Creation

Can I do this practice right after I eat nyam nyam, and then when I'm done can I eat som' more, also I see Ya Mu you're pretty lax about drinking can I do this practice intoxicated? Other substances, mj? Or is it this practice is to be done as an experimentation and it shows which behaviors are supplemental with it through personal one hour sessions? Also the book hints about being allright with taking showers right after practice?

Edited by DiamonD

If you are interested in trying Stillness-Movement, I would encourage 100 days of daily practice without practicing anything else. After 100 days, assess your experience and decide what to do next. 100 days is a reasonable trial period.

This!

Monkey mind rules in the playpen of all possibilities.

There's surely no way to effectively evaluate practise 'A' if still spending hours on practise 'B' and 'C'. Change one variable at a time.

doc-brown.jpg

YaMu's Stillness-Movement is powerful. I attended a workshop 18 months ago, and put in 100 days practise. In his book he says "Stillness-Movement Qigong must be taught by a teacher who can project energy-based information", so the transmission is critical. It's benign, Michael's intentions seem absolutely genuine, and I'm grateful to have it. He gives it generously and it really does change things.

It's worth noting that once the Fire is Lit it stays lit: I'd not done any sitting at all (let alone S-M or GOT) for about 9 months until recently, yet within 30secs of my backside touching the cushion the movement kicked in (without having initiated it).

Rich

• Like 1

Monkey mind rules in the playpen of all possibilities.

There's surely no way to effectively evaluate practise 'A' if still spending hours on practise 'B' and 'C'. Change one variable at a time.

Not hours for other practice, dude. Another pracrice that I meant is good for grounding and balancing and take only 1 hour. Also I tried to be clear saying that there is no martial art aspects in s-m and myself have been doing it for few years. It is the same practice of alignment and balancing and building thr internal power

Not hours for other practice, dude. Another pracrice that I meant is good for grounding and balancing and take only 1 hour. Also I tried to be clear saying that there is no martial art aspects in s-m and myself have been doing it for few years. It is the same practice of alignment and balancing and building thr internal power

So I agree S-M won't "give you nuts", and that a simple practise for balancing could be good idea if you feel you need it.

Maybe S-M isn't that practise though, as it's a complete system, esp when GoT is included. I think you do S-M a dis-service by thinking you can just bolt it on to your existing stuff, and I was suggesting that (for whatever you choose) you try to isolate it to see what/how it works for you before you mix it in. I personally don't like not knowing what I did that works and what is just pointless or a superstition - like some bizarre cultivation cargo-cult.

I have some experience with Chen-style TaiChi and I can confirm that S-M and GOT are at a different level, and would go as far as to say that IME S-M is not "the same practice of alignment and balancing and building thr internal power" as martial arts.

Rich

I think you do S-M a dis-service by thinking you can just bolt it on to your existing stuff, and I was suggesting that (for whatever you choose) you try to isolate it to see what/how it works for you before you mix it in.

I am not going to mix or bolt on it to "my stuff". That neikung I meant as it was said empowers ANY other chikung untill it is in contradiction to the energy "flow " of another system. That is is just yin yan hands and connection to the earth. As for MA aspects I tried to outline my needs for it. I used to do jogging almost every day and now I do some gym workout for 20 minutes every day but I don't see a problem to do some forms of IMA like taichi or bagua including some neikung basics from it such as tree stance and forms. I need something kinda more vigorous for general health promotion and for flexibility and for tendons and blood circulation. I dont know anything about S_M yet and can only suppose how it is "another level" and how it is really "complete" for everything. May be it is more advanced and elaborated indeed that I dont need anything else. May be you rigth, I'll het DVDs and will work on that thoroughly and then I "ll see if I need anything else. Cheers trying to help me dude

Edited by Eugene

I'm really interested in bagua myself and want to start learning. I asked Michael about this at the workshop I attended, and essentially it's fine if you want to learn some IMA, but if you go to workshop and start in S-M, wait until AFTER the first 100 days to start with anything else.

I'm still in my first 100 days, so the only practice I'm doing is S-M.

I actually think putting your awareness on dantien is supplemental, and not the main component.... my awareness will drift, but it is not the aspect that is doing the work. It's something else.

The movements initiate the energy, and you hang on.

I wondered about that myself, it seems that the movements and focusing on the Dan are what initiate a shift in awareness and energy, and once it starts, you have to let go and let the 'shift' take the reins, rather than holding on to it forcefully.

A couple of things. Am not "lax" about drinking. Personally follow middle path. For me that is usually a single beer at mealtime with 2 being the usual limit. What happens is that when one has too much alcohol or other substances the person loses control of the Qi. When we cultivate the ability to do wai qi liao fa this is not a good thing. Advocate the middle path to students is what I do.

On MA.

I personally practice some Hsing I along with my Stillness-Movement, sometimes a bit of Chen Pan Ling Tai Jee, and sometimes a bit of other kung fu. I am NOT a Martial Artist and just play with these for a bit of physical exercise. Also a bit of qigong running, mild weight lifting, and rebounding. I have written on this in my blog. There are many students who practice MA along with Stillness-Movement and Gift of Tao. One of my senior students, who also occasionally posts here, is an 8th Dan Kempo Master. He only practices Stillness-Movement & Gift of the Tao for Neigong, but also practices Martial Arts in a big way. Perhaps he will swing by here and comment. My point was that one would have to look long and hard to find other qigong that was as efficient as the complete system of Stillness-Movement and it boils down to the "why" as to should we practice something else. Martial Arts is practiced for a complete other reason. While some of the internal arts do have built in qigong practices the main purpose is to be able to perform martially (else why call it "martial" to start with). OF COURSE the Stillness-Movement practice will enhance WHATEVER else one does, including MA. So best to look at efficiency when choosing what to practice. I will shoot kempomaster an email and see if he has time to drop by and comment on this.

Other. Yes, Stillness-Movement goes far beyond simply putting awareness on Dan Tian.

• Like 5

What is the method of SM in regards to time interval of eating before and after practicing as well as practicing between 1 and 3 pm?

We get to where we practice 24/7. There are no bad times to practice.

We bless our food so we are definitely practicing when we sit down to eat. Don't like eating unblessed food.

What does it feel like to you when you practice between 1- 3? It is 1-3 somewhere when it is morning elsewhere when it is evening somewhere else. Lots of people have a downtime between 1-3; practice can renew.

• Like 3

I haven't practiced much between those hours but when I did I had different internal responses every time, everything from: some superstitional intensity creeping on "STOP you are entering a place that you will come ungrounded." to w/e I can't wait for 3:00 I got to get down to business, put the juice in the needle ahhhhhhh.

Edited by DiamonD
  • Like 1

I personally practice some Hsing I along with my Stillness-Movement, sometimes a bit of Chen Pan Ling Tai Jee, and sometimes a bit of other kung fu. I am NOT a Martial Artist and just play with these for a bit of physical exercise. Also a bit of qigong running, mild weight lifting, and rebounding. I have written on this in my blog.

Well, I just realized that it is better to choose something one and it is very difficult to combine few things together on the spiritual path. I tried some IMA for 3 years and I did not find myself on this path. Neikung there was very weak I would say and just practicing for 2-3 hours every day is not fastest way. My Sensei was saying that there is no shortcut on the path but I think good neikung can be real shortcut. He was talking about karma much. But as I know authentic Taoism is not much about karma. I can practice taichi form sometime ans weightlifting and it is quite enough for more phys. aspect of the training . I feel call for "shamanic" qigong more then path of MA. But MA aspects may be integrated in neikung later on might be

OK. Where I can find the decription of s-m meditation? Is it on DVD GOT I?

I'd recommend getting the Light Warrior's guide as an e-book -- it will introduce you to the sitting S-M practice, including the very important closing section...

Question -- after doing Gift of the Tao should one do the close down as described in the book? Or is that really only for after SM?