Hi fellow Bums.

I Have Master Waysun Liao's books and I love them.

I am wishing to start purchasing DVDs but due to the sheer number and the price, I was wondering if anyone would recommend which ones are of particular value?

And in what order would you consider valuable?

Also please tell me if there are doozy ones, that double up on material already gained elsewhere or that teach material that is better taught elsewhere?

My aim is learn the Temple style form, any necessary chi and breath stuff, and have a strong enough foundation for later learning the advanced spiritual stuff.

Please share.

And thank you.

Seth.

Hi fellow Bums.

I am wishing to start purchasing DVDs but due to the sheer number and the price, I was wondering if anyone would recommend which ones are of particular value?

Also please tell me if there are doozy ones, that double up on material already gained elsewhere or that teach material that is better taught elsewhere?

My aim is learn the Temple style form, any necessary chi and breath stuff, and have a strong enough foundation for later learning the advanced spiritual stuff.

Please share.

And thank you.

Seth.

http://www.taichitaocenter.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=21

This has all you need to learn the basic forms - single forms. And very good instructions in both solo as well as two person practice.

So? What was the outcome? I have found great benefits in my practice from the dvds...however it helps to have a real teacher showing/correcting.

I do not subscribe to the line of thinking that suggests that a personal transmission is necessary. I have learnt a Lot from this system over the decade plus i have been a student. I haven't had transmissions given. In fact according to my teacher we have to learn to "cook" our own energy...and with practice it will get better. My biggest issue has been time dedicated to practice. I average around 7-8 hours per week...and i feel it is not enough. But paradoxically, it is also not adviced to "overdo" it. So i have discovered that ability to practice also increases with time. Most critical is to not have anything else to do after the practice...so my best periods are in the night...10-11 pm to whenever i feel like stopping. But it is also hard because practice energizes so much, its hard to fall asleep.

So i have started trying to do the regular practice in the morning and seated practice in the night. Yes...temple style has both...some very very amazing seate meditations. Besides it is also posible to do many of the single forms in seated...to get the mco going. For the Macro, it is easier to stand and practice.

Another thing i have found is that condensing happens naturally with deep sung...so the trick imho is to relax until condensing happens and let the energy take over...

• Like 1

So? What was the outcome?

Sorry Dwai, I am not sure who you are asking what, here :)

I have found great benefits in my practice from the dvds...however it helps to have a real teacher showing/correcting.

I do not subscribe to the line of thinking that suggests that a personal transmission is necessary. I have learnt a Lot from this system over the decade plus i have been a student. I haven't had transmissions given. In fact according to my teacher we have to learn to "cook" our own energy...and with practice it will get better. My biggest issue has been time dedicated to practice. I average around 7-8 hours per week...and i feel it is not enough. But paradoxically, it is also not adviced to "overdo" it. So i have discovered that ability to practice also increases with time. Most critical is to not have anything else to do after the practice...so my best periods are in the night...10-11 pm to whenever i feel like stopping. But it is also hard because practice energizes so much, its hard to fall asleep.

So i have started trying to do the regular practice in the morning and seated practice in the night. Yes...temple style has both...some very very amazing seate meditations. Besides it is also posible to do many of the single forms in seated...to get the mco going. For the Macro, it is easier to stand and practice.

Another thing i have found is that condensing happens naturally with deep sung...so the trick imho is to relax until condensing happens and let the energy take over...

Do you have any advice on which DVD's are good, particularly good, or less than good?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Sorry Dwai, I am not sure who you are asking what, here :)

Do you have any advice on which DVD's are good, particularly good, or less than good?

Thanks.

Oh yeah sorry...one of my personalities posted earlier - implicate order ;)

For what its worth, I notice the Kindle e-version of his new book "Restoring Your Life Energy: Simple Chi Gung Practices to Reduce Stress and Enhance Well-Being" is around $8, half the price of print.

If any Bum has a review I'd love to read it.

Sorry this is taking so long but the abov mentioned book is priceless. The charge and drain in this book is top level. I'm very surprised that he's let it out so easily. It has dantien cooking in it as well.

As for DVDs I'll have to reply later.

• Like 1

Sorry this is taking so long but the abov mentioned book is priceless. The charge and drain in this book is top level. I'm very surprised that he's let it out so easily. It has dantien cooking in it as well.

As for DVDs I'll have to reply later.

thanks h.uriahr, I was not this new book. I'll order it shortly.

Looking forward to your DVD guide :)

• Like 1

Hi fellow Bums.

Please share.

And thank you.

Seth.

If you want a "strong foundation" then you need to cultivate your Jing!

Gary Clyman's Mind Light Nei Kung DVD set will help you much more in that than all of Waysun Liao's DVD's together!

I know because I bought many of Liao's DVD's for over $700 and they are competely worthless compared to Gary's Mind Light Nei Kung DVD set!

As a person who trained so much time with kundalini systems as you have, you will immediately understand the immense worth of Gary's Nei Kung! That I'm absolutely sure of! ^_^

If you want a "strong foundation" then you need to cultivate your Jing!

Gary Clyman's Mind Light Nei Kung DVD set will help you much more in that than all of Waysun Liao's DVD's together!

I know because I bought many of Liao's DVD's for over $700 and they are competely worthless compared to Gary's Mind Light Nei Kung DVD set!

As a person who trained so much time with kundalini systems as you have, you will immediately understand the immense worth of Gary's Nei Kung! That I'm absolutely sure of! ^_^

You are comparing Gary clyman with Master Liao?!?

:o

You are comparing Gary clyman with Master Liao?!? :o

I am comparing Gary Clyman's DVD material to Waysun Liao's DVD material concerning it's worth for developing Jing!

I am comparing Gary Clyman's DVD material to Waysun Liao's DVD material concerning it's worth for developing Jing!

One has to learn to crawl before learning to walk...

One has to learn to crawl before learning to walk...

How do you mean this exactly?

What good is this "jing" exactly?

If you explain your question in more detail, I will try to provide a reasonable answer.

Fundamentally nurturing and developing life energy (Qi or any form of Qi) is a health practice based upon an Eastern perspective on the nature of health and life. Anything that makes the mental and physical body healthier and stronger can be applied to other activities in life (martial arts, arts, sports, etc.).

How do you mean this exactly?

I mean learning to condense without good Taiji foundation is not good.

Master Liao has designed his material for a certain reason. If his formal students lean condensing in 4th page or 5th page (so technically after 2-3 years of practice) there is a reason for it.

I don't think it is to "milk" the student of money, it is a safeguard against health issues and letting things take their own course - a daoist approach .

Edited by dwai
  • Like 1

-----Opinion Alert-------

The entire concept of jing and chi as being presented is in my opinion either;

A. Ignorance of the mechanism involved.

B. To scam westerners (and others) who believe in fairy tales.

C. Alleviation of "Death Anxiety".

Edited by teknix

-----Opinion Alert-------

The entire concept of jing and chi as being presented is in my opinion either;

A. Ignorance of the mechanism involved.

B. To scam westerners (and others) who believe in fairy tales.

C. Alleviation of "Death Anxiety".

I am not sure how things are being presented so I cannot comment. However, there are definitely health benefits that one can expect as outlined here: http://www.webmd.com/balance/guide/health-benefits-tai-chi-qigong. Being more flexible, with more energy, and of a more peaceful mind can usually assist someone in other endeavors since a healthy mind and body are generally considered useful in a broad set of activities. I started another thread where I linked to some simple Qigong exercises on Youtube that anyone can do and which I believe are reasonable approaches to developing a healthier body.

Edited by taijistudent

I mean learning to condense without good Taiji foundation is not good. Master Liao has designed his material for a certain reason. If his formal students lean condensing in 4th page or 5th page (so technically after 2-3 years of practice) there is a reason for it. I don't think it is to "milk" the student of money, it is a safeguard against health issues and letting things take their own course - a daoist approach .

So far, I had no health issues at all!

To the contrary, my health increased significantly over the course of over 3 years with Gary's Nei Kung training concerning rate of infections.

I never did any Taichi before.

Also, on which publically buyable DVD's does Liao finally get serious anyway and trains "Condensing Breathing"?

And I don't mean that weak "Condensing of a Taichi ball between your hands" kind of stuff!

I mean condensing into the bones!

Because everything before that point is just child's play and beginner's stuff in my personal opinion!

I am not sure how things are being presented so I cannot comment. However, there are definitely health benefits that one can expect as outlined here: http://www.webmd.com/balance/guide/health-benefits-tai-chi-qigong. Being more flexible, with more energy, and of a more peaceful mind can usually assist someone in other endeavors since a healthy mind and body are generally considered useful in a broad set of activities. I started another thread where I linked to some simple Qigong exercises that anyone can do and which I believe are reasonable approaches to developing a healthier body.

I don't disagree with that. :)

Although, I don't necessarily attribute the cause to neceassarily be chi. I don't consider chi to be the cause because of better health because I think it condones ignorance and is a crutch, much like some religions use "god", to unveiling the true mechanisms involved.

You can say it is because of chi, but what is it really because of?

(Just my opinion)

• Like 1