Sign in to follow this  
rainbow

Placebo

Hi Rainbow

Yes- our minds are capable of wondrous things...as are our souls...our chi...our smiles...everything we are.

I suppose my experience has shown that most people prefer to believe that certain things are outside of their control or that "i have been OK like this my whole life, so why change now?". To truly take responsibility for everything you are and everything you manifest in your life can be a very difficult thing...

For instance, I work with a lady who is sick in some way every single day. Many years ago, she had cancer and (obviously) she was able to beat this illness...but she seems to have been unable to beat that part of herself that still chooses to remain ill - 10 years later. I say that she chooses to remain ill because I have offered her the contact details of some amazing healers but she hasn't contacted them...even though the way she is living her life or treating her disease hasn't provided any relief.

Noted NLP co-founder/saint/sinner/trickster Richard Bandler had the thought of working with the placebo effect by branding and marketing a new over the counter medication called Placebo - with each bottle you would get the pamphlet that quotes the scientific studies that show Placebos are effective xx % of the time when used by people suffering from {whatever}.

"If it only works 50% of the time, take two."

As far as I know, this stayed a thought rather than becoming a product.

bizarre - I had some thoughts along these lines just moments before logging on here... It's funny how the term 'placebo' in western medicine/health is usually used in a dismissive way to cast doubt on the effectiveness of something. I think it's something that should actually be explored and - where possible - developed as another medical tool.

(As a side note the reason I was thinking this is down to the brand of coffee I had this morning - I had a rough night and so 'woke' myself up with a few cups this morning. Worked great - I feel wired, even though I have since discovered it is decaf. Weird eh?)

What I find so amazing about the Placebo effect is that the doctors knowledge plays a profound effect on it, whether they know they're giving a placebo to a certain patient or not. Thus within the placebo effect there is a placebo effect, based on doctors knowledge. Thats why tests have to be double blind, blind to both patient and doctor. Even then you need a third level of controls to figure out efficiency.

Homeopathy (Extreme dilution) is the biggest battle ground for placebo effect.

Michael

Sign in to follow this