Owledge

Who benefits from Youtube ads?

How is it embedded in the contract? Does a youtube user get money for every view of a video/page with an ad? Or is it youtube doing that for themselves? But if so, why only on some videos? Does the user get stuff like higher quality / max length benefits when allowing youtube to show ads?

Some youtubers make money based on some sort of formula that takes into account their popularity (# of subscribers) and how many liked/dislikes they get. They get money (very little.. like pennies) if people click on the ads. Youtube also makes money from showing the ads, too. I think youtube Partners get to upload extra-long videos, though quality doesn't really change.

Thank you.

I feel it is yet another corrupting influence, that's why I asked. There's a case (details unimportant) where makers of moderately creative videos talk about how important it is for them to get likes in their 'fight against big competitors', and I find it sad that they make their existence dependant on this mentality, that they don't make videos because they like to, but in order to dominate others. They claim that likes and subscriptions help them a lot as small-time video posters, but actually it doesn't make sense, unless they don't find the motivation to make the videos if people don't watch them en masse. But then this might be an indication that they are redundant. If someone truly believed that their videos were a valuable addition to the youtube content, they would make them anyway.

Reminded me of the saying: Don't try to compete, then nobody can compete with you.

To me a small-time youtuber begging for likes is just what it sounds like.

• Like 1