thelerner

World View - What is the Reality we live in?

I waiver over this one. Whether to be modern and believe in what I see, science tells me and disregard other phenomena as superstition. But I run into wise people who claim we live in a 'thick' dimension with other spaces and beings living intimately near by. Beings interpreted as spirits, angels, demons even aliens. Then there's the world view of an intimate God watching us and controlling everything, and another positing a less personal but spiritual God which encompasses all of time space and our very being, one we 'feel' in states of deep peace and touch its infinite Oneness.

I guess I believe in a less personal spiritual big big big God. Though if I have to guess, it may not be the strongest belief. And that's why I meditate. The satori experience, to get a glimpse of God, beyond a belief structure.

What do you think the basic Reality we live in?

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

quantum physics says that the more one tries to understand the further one gets from it...I dont know how true that is...

There is definitely a lot out (or in) there. Just depend how deep you look.

:)

99.99% void with some dancing energy waves that create the illusion of solidity

"form is emptiness, emptiness is form"

a glorified dream that remains as it was yesterday for our benefit (or for some reason beyond comprehension)

ultimately, the more you try to intellectualize about reality, the further you are getting away from the essence of that reality. So that is why i meditate.. to cultivate direct experience of things in an unfabricated way

great post michael, thanks

• Like 3

I waiver over this one. Whether to be modern and believe in what I see, science tells me and disregard other phenomena as superstition. But I run into wise people who claim we live in a 'thick' dimension with other spaces and beings living intimately near by. Beings interpreted as spirits, angels, demons even aliens. Then there's the world view of an intimate God watching us and controlling everything, and another positing a less personal but spiritual God which encompasses all of time space and our very being, one we 'feel' in states of deep peace and touch its infinite Oneness.

I guess I believe in a less personal spiritual big big big God. Though if I have to guess, it may not be the strongest belief. And that's why I meditate. The satori experience, to get a glimpse of God, beyond a belief structure.

What do you think the basic Reality we live in?

This is the best answer I have for you.

http://thetaobums.co...and-many-minds/

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

I have been and done a lot of things in my short 47 years here. I have had the pleasure of keeping company with many, many different kinds of people, each with their own unique world view. I have (and still do) study the bible, I Ching, physics, tai chi, and meditation, just to name a few. I in NO WAY believe myself to be expert, or anything special in any field. All that being said, I have started to come to some conclusions....

When erecting a building, often the construction workers will put up a scaffolding, and temporary supports, until all four walls can be hooked together. The scaffolding gives the wall stability until there is enough solid foundation to give the structural support. Once the building is complete, there is no need for the scaffolding and temporary supports.

I am beginning to think that all those things you mentioned, spirits, science, not to mention things like denomination, religion, chi, etc., are all just different colors of scaffolding My conception of God has more to do with the scaffolding I am standing on, then it does with what God actually may be. Take for example the following scenario...

A Christian, Wiccan, and Tai Chi practitioner are all gathered around a sick friend. One prays, one casts spells, and one sends chi. Is it not possible that they are all doing the exact same thing, they only appear different because each philosophy is just the scaffolding. Just a tool we use to wrap our heads around our reality?

Well, anyway, that is what I have been pondering lately....

A Christian, Wiccan, and Tai Chi practitioner are all gathered around a sick friend. One prays, one casts spells, and one sends chi. Is it not possible that they are all doing the exact same thing, they only appear different because each philosophy is just the scaffolding. Just a tool we use to wrap our heads around our reality?

:), you sound like the blind master in the original Kung Fu series.

I was kinda waiting for a punch line after the initial set up..something like A Christian, Wiccan and Tai Chi practitioner walk into a bar to meet there sick friend...The Christian crosses himself, prays and gives him rosary beads, the Wiccan takes out sage, rubs it around and leaves some nearby The Tai Chi player looks at him and says 'Your hands are in the wrong position, they should be more like this.'

bada dum.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 3

Any answer is a concept.

True, the words to describe reality, are not the reality.

But they're the best things we have.

Short of a whacking stick ;).

The All Encompassing Infinitesimal Omniversal Unity is what I believe in. This is the idea that every part of every part of every infinite part of every infinite part, etc. is/are connected and interact in infinite ways; that we are but a single part of an infinite whole, all together of which is/are unlimited in scope, depth, breadth, width, and moment. Our perceptions are but such few of the whole, each perception as unique as the next, last, and even copious copies. Words are insufficient for the idea.

"Tao can be talked about, but not the Eternal Tao.

Names can be named, but not the Eternal Name."

Lao Tzu (tr. John C. H. Wu)

And thus begins the Tao Te Ching. It's no coincidence Lao Tzu chose to begin his work with this passage (or at least those who came after him chose to do so), because nothing has tripped up more people on the path to enlightenment than the question "how did it all begin" or in this case "What is the reality we live in?"

The fact of the matter is that there are questions we can answer and questions we can't. The question of reality isn't really one that can be answered, at least not to everyone's satisfaction, so if one really wants to get sidetracked early on in their spiritual progress, nothing does a better job than asking this question.

Lao Tzu would advocate that, rather than question what reality is, we should examine the world and look within ourselves. By doing this we can understand the process of the universe, but not become transfixed on the nature of the universe, which can never be properly described anyways. Curiosity killed the cat, but it can also kill the spiritual seeker. Worry about what is before you, not what is not. It's very simple, but few people seem to realize the importance of this task.

Aaron

Edited by Aaron
  • Like 1