Sign in to follow this  
rainbow

Hi

Hello bums. In a nutshell, I am a high school student looking for a spiritual outlet and a philisophical means of traversing this confusing world. I have been looking at this site for a few weeks now so I thought I would register. Last year I developed an interest in buddhism which branched to meditation and then taoism. Life became too busy, or so I thought, and I forgot about it.

A few months ago I had an existentialistic breakdown, wondering what my purpose was and if life was worth living. I basically had an overwhelming feeling of insignificance. Thus began my interest in taoism.

I am curious as to what "finding the Tao" is and what being Taoist entails. If you could give me your opinions on those questions I would be very grateful.

Thanks a lot everyone!

Welcome. :)

I am curious as to what "finding the Tao" is and what being Taoist entails.
"The Tao" is the infinite, the Big Divine, and being a Taoist is about cultivating individual conscious, healthly integration with That. But then again, I think that that's the basic condition of being human, and purpose of every religion.. :) Many people here (most?) have a pretty wide path, including methods from Taoism, as well as from other traditions (and simply whatever we find usefull).

Welcome. :)

"The Tao" is the infinite, the Big Divine, and being a Taoist is about cultivating individual conscious, healthly integration with That. But then again, I think that that's the basic condition of being human, and purpose of every religion.. :) Many people here (most?) have a pretty wide path, including methods from Taoism, as well as from other traditions (and simply whatever we find usefull).

Trunk - good reply!

Hi Rainbow - welcome :) Relax and enjoy the experience of your growth, if possible. Learning our place in the world isn't always "fun" and I would be more than happy to provide any support I can to you through this time.

Take care of yourself

Leidee

Thanks a lot for the help and the warm welcome. I will be sticking around for a while.

I think I will observe until I acquire enough courage and knowledge to contribute. :)

I know very little about Taoism, Buddhism, and meditation but compensate for my lack of knowledge with a thirst for knowledge. I would really like to know how I can cultivate chi (maybe a book I could read) and what purposes other than the obvious health and mental chi serves. I really like the idea of analyzing and attempting to control my thoughts and have been making an effort to do this. I try to meditate daily and I have been doing the five rites for a few days now and really enjoy it. I think I need some guidance and more specific directions as how to meditate and cultivate internal energy.

Thanks Again!

Hi again Rainbow

Don't worry about your lack of knowledge....everyone has to start somewhere, right? Being brave enough to even be prepared to be open and to learning new things is a very big step and one you will find in life that not many people are prepared to take.

As to analysing your thoughts - maybe you will find it helpful to reconsider this to changing the emphasis you place on your thoughts. Consider trying to make your thoughts quieter. Meditation is a good place to start with this but don't be too concerned with having no thoughts...because then all you will do is think about not having thoughts!

Books can only take you so far and you will likely find that it will become more important to surround yourself with like minded souls and, perhaps, even someone with more experience in meditation and qigong who can provide guidance to you.

Out of interest - where do you live? Perhaps there is someone in this forum who can provide you with the names of some people you can spend some time with?

*hugs*

Leidee

I know very little about Taoism, Buddhism, and meditation but compensate for my lack of knowledge with a thirst for knowledge.

AlchemicalTaoism.com is a mix of my own essays, plus archived sort of "greatest hits" from this community compiled over the last 6 yrs +. Though it's way too extensive for a single read, it's a good intro to a lot of what's been going on around here.

Sign in to follow this