Basher

T'ai Chi Ch'uan (Basics) Stances & Steps

Even though I've been practising Tai Chi for over a year*, I'm still finding it difficult to cope with even the basics. I'm studying the medium frame Li / Lee Style. Variously also known as Yin Yang or Square Yard Tai Chi.

I try to remain relaxed & keep my hands in the "Chi Palm" (gently cupped) shape. I try to obey the 70% rule and not take my hands across my centreline. I also try to keep my breathing as natural as possible....until I improve and can start feeling energies etc.

But although my (version of the) Form isn't perfect, I think it's my Stances & Steps that need the most attention.

I find it extremely difficult to "open" my hips, for the different steps. Presume this is applicable to all Tai Chi styles. So does anyone out there have any hints or tips that could aid my practise ?

Many Thanks in advance, for any (helpful) responses.

Basher

* Yes I know that a Year isn't very long !!!

Hey Basher, yust keep practicing like you do now. Practice every day in a relaxed matter. Try to hold the stance you have difficulty with for a few minutes before you continue to the next one. Let it sink in. A year isnt that long indeed, let the seed grow to a sprout and water it every day :)

Opening of the kua is a long and slow process, dont pay to much attention to it. See that your stances are solid and correctly alligned and make smooth transitions in your form. Your kua will open up and smooth out. Thats where the (yilu) form is designed for.

Enjoy :)

As a beginner, one would think about anything else but just go through the basic movements without following any rules. The object is to have all the movements done as smooth as possible in one continuous flow. When you move your arms, legs and hips, they should be simultaneously without hesitation. However, do not think about doing the movements correctly at the beginning because they will correct themselves in the later stage of the practice. Right now, you should just concentrate on getting the form of movements only. The key to Tai Ji is practice and practice to get it to be perfect but don't expect it to be perfect in a hurry.

At the later stage in your practice, you should have your mind focus on each move. Your movements should be moved very slow; they should be moved 1/16 of an inch at a time but smoothly, so the speak. Have your mind focus at one point of your arms or legs or hips, then everything else move along with that point. You should know where your body is at all times and where and how you are going to move next. However, don't expect all this at the beginning. These features will be happening, in the future, after a long period practice.

Now, the story about "open" your hips. What do you mean by "open"...??? Do you mean turning the hips....??? May I ask how is your body build physically...??? Do you think it has something to do with a physical problem in turning your hips....???

Even though I've been practising Tai Chi for over a year*, I'm still finding it difficult to cope with even the basics. I'm studying the medium frame Li / Lee Style. Variously also known as Yin Yang or Square Yard Tai Chi.

I try to remain relaxed & keep my hands in the "Chi Palm" (gently cupped) shape. I try to obey the 70% rule and not take my hands across my centreline. I also try to keep my breathing as natural as possible....until I improve and can start feeling energies etc.

But although my (version of the) Form isn't perfect, I think it's my Stances & Steps that need the most attention.

I find it extremely difficult to "open" my hips, for the different steps. Presume this is applicable to all Tai Chi styles. So does anyone out there have any hints or tips that could aid my practise ?

Many Thanks in advance, for any (helpful) responses.

Basher

* Yes I know that a Year isn't very long !!!

You have a teacher? Don't worry and follow your teachers corrections as best you can.

If you don't have a teacher get one

• Like 1

He had a good teacher. A good teacher will never tell him anything at the beginning. He must learn by intuition from his own practice.

Edited by ChiDragon

He had a good teacher. A good teacher will never tell him anything at the beginning. He must learn by intuition from his own practice.

What?

Yeah, what have you learnt from you teacher...???

Yeah, what have you learnt from you teacher...???

Now that is really silly - you never cease to amaze me. LOL

• Like 1

howdy!

first, i would also ask if you have a live teacher. if so, they should be able to answer your question.

if not, try to find a live teacher!

if this is not possible, my suggestion would be to keep practicing, because 1 year of taiji practice is just scratching the surface. the 6-7 years i have been practicing, with a great teacher, is also just scratching the surface. it takes time.

finally, i would say that i had the same problem at times, and still do. it helps me to refocus on my dan tien and my rooting when i become unbalanced. i'm not sure if you have had this sort of training, but it wouldn't hurt to find out about it! good luck, and happy practicing!

Edited by Mr. T

You have a teacher? Don't worry and follow your teachers corrections as best you can.

If you don't have a teacher get one

My current teacher is Tony Swanson & whilst I always try to follow his or one of his his senior Instructors corrections as much as possible. I'm still feeling kinda awkward / slilted in my movements.

Was just wondering if any Bums had the same difficulty in moving correctly between each stance, when they were beginners, and how they overcame their weakness.

Thanks

Cheers Mr.T.

Edited by Basher

My current teacher is Tony Swanson & whilst I always try to follow his or one of his his senior Instructors corrections as much as possible. I'm still feeling kinda awkward / slilted in my movements.

Was just wondering if any Bums had the same difficulty in moving correctly between each stance, when they were beginners, and how they overcame their weakness.

Thanks

Cheers Mr.T.

Most everyone has difficulties, some realize they do and some don't.

The important thing is to practice, practice,practice. Do the form 2 - 3 times a day or more if you have time.

Also observe your teachers movements very carefully and ask a question where you think you are having difficulty.

I'm still feeling kinda awkward / slilted in my movements.

Oh yes - had? It's a never ending process of refinement.

First hurdle, get the posture right.

Second hurdle, remember the movements.

Third (and much more formidable) hurdle, figure out how to move from one posture to the next.

And there are more but that's a good place to stop.

Taiji is more about the transitions than the postures.

One exercise that can help is walking/stepping drills. I was taught a few in the beginning:

- basic forward walking

- reverse stepping (repulse monkey)

- kick/walk drill

- fair maiden works the shuttle

After a while I began making up my own. Take the challenging transitions and create a repetitive stepping pattern out of it and practice, practice, practice.

The idea of sinking qi to dan tien is very helpful. I try to get people to develop a regular standing meditation practice. This helps to develop the idea of 'distinguish full from empty.' Skill in sinking and distinguishing full from empty is critical in transitions between postures. Also, make sure that you don't take short cuts, they invariably involve compromising posture or other principles and don't help you in the long run.

And most importantly, have confidence in your teacher's guidance.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks

I'm five weeks into learning Beijing 24 step short form with a super TCUGB teacher and it is coming but very slowly. Still committing the steps to memory and no way do they flow at all well yet. Outside my experience zone as I cultivate a standing form of QiGong but it is good to be a student. Keep at it and let us know how you get on.

Cheers Mr.T.

You may have already heard your teacher say the following but what the heck, I hear my teacher say it over and over so repitition must be the name of the game. He says:

"Let your eyes guide and guard the movement."

"Keep the shoulders and hips aligned. This will make your waist begin to turn in a way that stretches the kwa".

"If the hips are too tight to square up at the end of a movement, don't force the knees to make up the difference. Accept that you have a tight ass and move on."

"The knees and the elbows are the smaller circles of yin and yang in the tai chi symbol. So the elbows are heavy compared to the arms and shoulders and the knees are light compared to the legs and feet."

"Never reveal the above secrets to the public." (Hah! Just kidding.)

"Never reveal the above secrets to the public." (Hah! Just kidding.)

Ooops, I forgot THAT one !!! LOL.

Cheers All for the responses.

The Old Taoist Grandmaster of the Lee/Li style passed away in 1994. But he always used to say there were a thousand "secrets" to the Internal Art(s). He'd start you off by giving guidance and by pointing the way, but most you had to experience for yourself by constant practice.

"The Reflection in a Pool of Water, never reveals the waters depth."

Guess I've just started getting my feet wet !!