Lao Tzu

The best way to learn Taoism

The best way to learn Taoism is to read the books which are written by the immortals in ancient china, and think on them.

I suggest not to follow any "masters", because almost 100% of them are frauds. They only care about money.

• Like 1

Dumb Thread. You dont really know Daoism & how deep it gets and how many layers there are without guidance down a worn path. no one figures out everything within in a lifetime. it takes one to truly know one. everything you read by a true master is experiential, not intellectual. which is pretty much most of it'll ever be to the vast majority of seekers, especially the ones who think they're too good for a teacher.

Funny, tulku has become a common usage word for describing certain personality traits.

The best way to learn Taoism? Live it. Yes, live our life as closely as possible to our natural inspirations. (Be careful what we consider natural though - make sure it's not some BS that someone stuffed into our mind.)

Only talking about living is nothing more than blowing in the wind. Taoism is living - experiencing every phase of our life to the fullest extent possible - from birth to death.

When we get too old to move around much we can relax and read the books.

Wise words.

I despair of the intense young chaps ( always chaps) on here frittering away valuable roistering time with their heads in books, glued to DVDs or sitting at the feet of one or another dubious and seriously repressed shyster peddling snake oil.

Carpe Diem lads and suck the marrow from the very bones of life or you may well live to regret that you did not.

Time enough for study once your roistering days are done.

That may come via marriage, it always comes via age.

there's no such thing as taoism, except for what certain people decide to define it as. If you want to learn about the actual tao then you should read the tao te ching and take what it says with a grain of salt. Lao Tzu (the real one that is) wanted people to examine what he said objectively and apply it as they saw fit, not necessarily as he saw fit.

To the imitator Lao Tzu, I'm assuming you figured out your ban has been lifted and have come back to enlighten us again. I think that within the next week you'll probably be banned again, so don't be surprised, especially with the particular methods you use to discuss these things.

Aaron

Edited by Aaron

Wise words.

I despair of the intense young chaps ( always chaps) on here frittering away valuable roistering time with their heads in books, glued to DVDs or sitting at the feet of one or another dubious and seriously repressed shyster peddling snake oil.

Carpe Diem lads and suck the marrow from the very bones of life or you may well live to regret that you did not.

Time enough for study once your roistering days are done.

That may come via marriage, it always comes via age.

I agree, but I would make the exception that people should enjoy life by doing what they want when they're young, if that mean studying so be it. don't wait til you're old to regret those things you haven't done.

Aaron

Lao Tzu isn't Sunlover/Tulku, he's just an opinionated fellow from China, who believes that westerners are lost and need his guidance to understand what Taoism "really" is about. Harmless, if not annoying at times.

Aaron

let us kneel before the reincarnated master, you know the taoist way of dealing with a troll would propably be to either ignore it or to laugh.. but if the offending hits a sensitive spot it is a hard one

Edited by raimonio

let us kneel before the reincarnated master, you know the taoist way of dealing with a troll would propably be to either ignore it or to laugh.. but if the offending hits a sensitive spot it is a hard one

Yes, at least, Taoists have enough patience for tolerance........ ;)

Edited by ChiDragon

Water buffalo milk cheese is lovely.

I've never had any but, being a cheese lover, I can almost taste the heartiness of that cheese.