Sign in to follow this  
Flolfolil

What yogic exercises don't mix with chi kung?

i would assume anything that greatly stimulates adrenaline, and anything deliberately done to raise energy such as 3rd eye focusing. But are there any particular poses/practices i should watch out for? Anything abdominal strengthening seems to raise energy for me, as well as chest expansions.

Also the breath counting meditation i do seems to increase my head pressure - something i am really trying to avoid. Can anyone recommend any better meditations?

In addition to saying what things i shouldn't do, can anyone give me advice on what yogic practices compliment chi kung?

IME if I had head or neck pressure it was due to the fact that I wasnt relaxing enough internally. It helps if you can smile into the entire body first then perform your exercises. And dont push it either. Take baby steps.

• Like 1

I would think that any core strengthening excersises (breath of fire/boat pose for something really intense) would help with Qigong where so much focus is placed on the LDT. From my own research into this matter, I don't think there is any worry about mixing practices at low levels. Based on how I feel, I do Yoga, or Qigong, or some of both. I try to let my intuition dictate what excersise to do based on where I feel weak, or imbalanced. Core work always seems to make a huge difference for me being able to handle more energy though.

i would assume anything that greatly stimulates adrenaline, and anything deliberately done to raise energy such as 3rd eye focusing. But are there any particular poses/practices i should watch out for? Anything abdominal strengthening seems to raise energy for me, as well as chest expansions.

Also the breath counting meditation i do seems to increase my head pressure - something i am really trying to avoid. Can anyone recommend any better meditations?

In addition to saying what things i shouldn't do, can anyone give me advice on what yogic practices compliment chi kung?

Unnatural breath exercises such as breath counting exercises and holding breath for a long period is just harmful. You may instantaneously feel something in your neurological system but that does not show you are doing a correct thing.

If you are practicing from books but not with a real master as 99 % of this forum, I can only recommend Ki Breathing exercises of deceased Aikido Sensei Koichi Tohei.

Books of Koichi Tohei Sensei: (http://www.koichitohei.com/koichi_tohei_books_in_english.htm)

"Ki in Daily Life": (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/4889960716/koichitohei-20)

"Ki Breathing": (http://www.shinichitohei.com/english/specialki_breathing/index.html)

"Kiatsu": (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/4889960864/koichitohei-20)

QiGong has few to no contraindications, if harm is done it is far likely to come from whatever else is being cultivated at the same time.

I've reservations about the advisability of mixing and matching forms at the best of times. Maybe best to stick to one form and cultivate that exclusively if only so as to become the very best you can be at that form via focus and diligent cultivation.

There is so much 'to' QiGong with something to suit everyone from absolute beginners who are maybe just interested in light exercise with the added benefits of weight loss if that is required right through to the alchemical , the arcane and beyond.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Read some of my posts on breathwork ;) Remember that qi follows intent, so if you are too focused on thinking, that is where qi will manifest. If you feel you must count, count with your gut! Same reason why Jetsun was asking about the white skeleton with the head upside down in the torso - it is just to de-intellectualize the process. If you try too hard focusing and thinking on something, trying to force a particular method, its like pushing water, its going to go generally where you want it but it will also flow wherever its going to flow. Leeead water, and it follows.

What's your aim??

• Like 1

Well i am basically looking for lowering of energy being that i have head pressure. But i also need static strengthening postures for legs because i have knee problems i am a year into working on and postural imbalances. i just added ZZ to my morning routine and i've been at it for a week. i feel like it is really helping me build leg strength back up and correct my posture.

also, i don't make my breath go a certain way - i just count when i inhale and exhale and allow it to go naturally. i'm not restricting or retaining

i'm not really flip flopping between systems (anymore) just taking what i find helps me from everything i discover and putting it together. is this a bad idea? it doesn't feel wrong

Sign in to follow this