Apech

Who said this:

I think the man who contemplates the universe with his eyes

wide open is the man with the greatest amount of natural piety:

not in the religious sense, but in the sense of an intimate

harmony with things.

Was he a Taoist????

Your opinions please.

Do you want us to give away the name of the person in our answer? It may skew responses that follow.

In response to the second part of the question, he certainly has some Taoist elements to his thinking, but then also some that stray quite far from it. It is a matter of taking the man as a whole or taking his thinking in isolated pieces. This is not entirely unlike the idea behind the thread for the "Tao of Nietzsche".

I was trying to catch someone out with this because its surprising (the answer) ... but you obviously know :)

I think he had just done his Tai Chi at the Eagles Nest and was off to invade Russia when he said this.

On second thought ,, Its been said

deleted comment

Nevermind

Edited by Stosh

Aww, I thought it sounded like Einstein.

"What I see in Nature is a magnificent structure that we can comprehend only very imperfectly, and that must fill a thinking person with a feeling of "humility." This is a genuinely religious feeling that has nothing to do with mysticism."

• Like 1

:-D

I counteract all this esoteric philosophy with Alan Watts!

Om Alan Padme hum! Hung Watts Svaha!

If we want to say that something is daoist or not, then we must apply a ruler to see if centimeters matches.

Only with the ruler we can say that something is straight or convex.

But the ruler is internal to us and others may measure it with a different instrument.

How could we say that something is daoist?

In this case, Hitler was only outlining his cure for making people in intimate harmony with things:

plastic eye surgery to remove eyelids.

events05b.jpg

Edited by DAO rain TAO

Every human being will say a number of seemingly enlightened and very stupid things during there lifetime. Its how we live and the fruits of life that determine our worth.

so Hitler, right. He had an agenda that was fuelled by his own sense of rightness which was not without spiritual fervour.

It's like, ok, you can make fries with potatoes, sure. But then there are those frozen waffles, too, and they also are made - so they would have us believe - from potatoes.

You get my point.

so Hitler, right. He had an agenda that was fuelled by his own sense of rightness which was not without spiritual fervour.

It's like, ok, you can make fries with potatoes, sure. But then there are those frozen waffles, too, and they also are made - so they would have us believe - from potatoes.

You get my point.

Er .... yea right. So ... what was that about chips again?

• Like 1

Watts oughta give a bit more thought to the idea of trusting a ruler to tell you whether something is straight or convex. The imbedded assumptions is that statement call into question anything he says in the rest of that quote! :)

Oh, and can I have fries with that???

But what level of Mo Pai did he achieve?

I think like elvis he died on the toilet because he'd set all the paper on fire ... that might be a clue.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this