Flolfolil

Info on kunlun book(s)?

Looking into buying a book. Have some questions.

How many books are there?

What are they all called?

How much money can i expect to eventually spend if i were to purchase the whole course?

What exactly do i get? Not asking anybody to be really explicit, just give me an idea of informational content amount.

Cheapest place to buy them?

also, there probably are threads on this but this sites search functions mysteries elude me

Edited by Flolfolil

How many books are there?

What are they all called?

How much money can i expect to eventually spend if i were to purchase the whole course?

What exactly do i get? Not asking anybody to be really explicit, just give me an idea of informational content amount.

check http://thetaobums.com/topic/17505-kunlun-book/page__st__48#entry350528 for a review of latest edition

there is just one book, but there were maybe two or three editions not sure, and content differs (things changed, removed, added)

What levels are in the book? i know of 1-3. are all of these levels available through books? i am far too poor to ever be able to afford personal instruction

also is there a lot of intense standing posture stuff? i try to take it easy on that, weak knees and all

I don't think so. The book contains load of various techniquest, out of those 5 elements qigong is standing, but it's a side method. Kunlun 1 used to be seated exercise.

What levels are in the book? i know of 1-3. are all of these levels available through books? i am far too poor to ever be able to afford personal instruction

I believe levels 1-3 were only included in first edition and the new book only has level 1. Level 1 instructions are fairly simple, can likely even be found somewhere on this forum.

There are 3 books. 2 are outdated so get the new one. The book is good. I suggest you practice from it to prepare for an actual seminar.

The standing postures can also be done sitting (the 5 elements) if you have a bad back or bad knees. Level 2-3 are no longer necessary

The result of the practice is dissolution of the physical body into a pure energetic state, called the Golden Dragon Body. But that's just words.

This isn't a practice where you take level 1, 2, 3 then bam! you are there. It's an art. Think about it as learning how to paint. Does taking painting classes 1, 2, 3 make you a great painter? Nope. But it sure can help.

• Like 1

iirc Max skipped the 2 & 3 that were in the original book because 2 is similar to the red sun practice and red sun is more heart centered, and 3...I vaguely recall that being because red phoenix 2 has some similar features. All in the interest of streamlining.

iirc Max skipped the 2 & 3 that were in the original book because 2 is similar to the red sun practice and red sun is more heart centered, and 3...I vaguely recall that being because red phoenix 2 has some similar features. All in the interest of streamlining.

so there isn't really a point in getting the old books?

Also is there stuff i can absolutely only learn at a seminar? as i said before, this is completely out of the question for me.

Also is there stuff i can absolutely only learn at a seminar? as i said before, this is completely out of the question for me.

Unfortunately, yes, somethings are only taught at the seminar or with an approved facilitator. Red Phoenix is a main example because you need the transmission. However! Practicing the K1 posture itself will lead to your energy body totally opening up. I didn't even practice Red Phoenix for the first year or two because for you to really understand the practices, the energy body has to open up. So if I were you I'd just focus on the practices in the book because that's what you'd be doing anyway after a seminar and then hopefully wait for a chance in the future to meet a facilitator.

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

no point in getting the old books. his new versions have been more expansive, comprehensive, better put together anyway. definite thumbs up on the latest one. I never got around to buying the second one before it disappeared but I saw it, the third is hands down winner here.

not in the book, just red phoenix if you're looking at the core stuff max teaches. depending on where you are there may be someone near you who is able to teach it. I had about 3 years of ymaa material, mostly embryonic breathing, 6 healing sounds, 8 brocades before I came across the kunlun stuff, I practiced that for about 3 months before hitting a seminar. rp is a powerful addition - if you "do more than you can handle" it might be a bumpy ride, but perhaps my long focus on stillness and fundamentals made 'quick and powerful' make an ok 'transition'...not that I am done by any means.

being able to enter stillness effectively is imho a good prerequisite for any movement-of-energy work. it helps you integrate it more effectively.

• Like 1

Gold flower will accomplish red phoenix. When you practice these things, you're giving yourself transmission.

The books were technically made so that people who are never able to see Max could achieve something.

Be careful with the tongue positioning...I personally stick to the fire point, since my focus with all of this stuff is more on self healing.

Just my unqualified opinion...I know Max says that the students must see him in order to attain Gold Dragon Body. I'm skeptical, and think it could be done with just a basic knowledge of the practices.

edit: Remember when Kunlun first came onto the scene? We were told that it's all about self-empowerment...that you don't need a teacher once you have the practices, etc. That Max left all of the dogma of the traditions behind. Those were admirable qualities...

Edited by turtle shell
  • Like 2

Gold flower will accomplish red phoenix. When you practice these things, you're giving yourself transmission.

The books were technically made so that people who are never able to see Max could achieve something.

Be careful with the tongue positioning...I personally stick to the fire point, since my focus with all of this stuff is more on self healing.

Just my unqualified opinion...I know Max says that the students must see him in order to attain Gold Dragon Body. I'm skeptical, and think it could be done with just a basic knowledge of the practices.

Uh no, Red Phoenix is not Golden Flower....yes they're related, but you don't give yourself transmission...

Max never said those things so I don't know where you got this information. Red Phoenix is taught by approved facilitators for a reason, so you don't have to go see Max, but at least learn it from a teacher. Golden Dragon Body isn't dependent on Kunlun...it's in many traditions in the world. Kunlun is just one method to get there.

what is this transmission that i need? o.O

What do you mean what is it?

Spirituality as traditions always emphasize transmissions so you get initiated into the lineage. It isn't just about the techniques.

Yo.

I said my opinion, in bold.

Why would you make unqualified opinions on...

anything...

Edit: I think opinions are great..they lead to good discussions on our beliefs. But here we're talking about a teaching and a method taught, so it's not really an "opinion" to say GF and RP are the same. Because they are not taught that way.

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

It's what I believe is true from 5 years of practicing. Not as long as others, who may disagree...whatever. It's a point of view that people can consider and the warning that it's "unqualified" is clearly there. Since I believe it's true and potentially helpful, I speak it. That's why, bro.

Please, ignore me if you have trouble with this.

edit: I didn't say gold flower was "the same" as red phoenix...of course they differ in how you do them.

edit again: To keep this thread on track, this will be my last post in here. Just trying to help people with the book be confident in practicing on their own.

Edited by turtle shell

It's what I believe is true from 5 years of practicing. Not as long as others, who may disagree...whatever. It's a point of view that people can consider and the warning that it's "unqualified" is clearly there. Since I believe it's true and potentially helpful, I speak it. That's why, bro.

Please, ignore me if you have trouble with this.

Ok, ok. As long as we're clear that it's not taught that way. You might even be right in the long run, but I just want to clarify that's not how it is being presented right now.

Flolfolil: Just get the (new) book. *Loads* for you to start doing. If you really dig the kunlun after some months of diligent/sincere practice, consider scheduling a session with some certified kunlun emissary to get Red Phoenix.

Transmissions: The first level "transmission" is external--- just the technique (non-energetic--- not a transfer or shaktipat). The second level transmission is the lineage and its associated energy (and can be given when Max deems that the student is properly open/balanced/grounded and has gained the necessary wisdom). The third level transmission is "mind to mind" (secret) and has relevance only to those who have attained gold dragon body.

Golden Flower-- in Max's words-- is "a refinement of red phoenix" (look at the GF mudra and split it to see how similar it is to RP....) and a very gentle version of red phoenix which is designed to open and insulate the RP pathway is being taught immediately to new students... after 6 months to a year, depending on the growth/grounded-ness of the student, more aggressive versions of RP can be given.

get into that kunlun, flol!

best.

balance.

...and I never received any sort of transfer to activate specific practices. I asked Max about this when I first met him last year and he said they weren't necessary (he went on to say that it was important for people to earn things themselves). My sense is that the transfers just kick-start a students progress--- a gift of energy and some of Max's insights into a particular practice... but nothing that can't be brought about through sincerity in your own work.

Edited by balance.
  • Like 2

yeah the whole shaktipat thing seems like a big joke to me, i can see paying to learn techniques but not to be given a gift that i already have inside of me if i look deep enough

Flolfolil:

Well, shaktipat is legitimate-- and certain things must be given (like the lineage)... but I do agree that it is much better to sweat/bleed/strive in order to realize those ends we want most rather than just being handed the keys.

best.

balance.

*Grasshopper: Sent you a pm.

Edited by balance.

Likely the only reason to get the old book would be if someone for some reason wishes to practice the original follow-up levels after the spontaneous qigong practice aka level 1, as they were originally transmitted by his teacher.

But for Kunlun practicing by the latest only makes sense.

Edited by Leif