Analect One - Natural flow of conduct

Classic Text:

子曰:「學而時習之,不亦說乎?有朋自遠

方來,不亦樂乎?人不知而不慍,不亦君子

乎?」

Modern native translation:

孔子說:“學習知識并按一定的時間去溫習它,不也是很高興的嗎?有同學從遠方來,不也是很快樂的嗎?不被別人了解而不抱怨,不也是很有君子風度的嗎?”

English translation:

Confucius said: "To obtain new knowledge by following a regular schedule, isn't it very happy...??? There were school mates visited from long distance, isn't it very pleasant....??? Others do not understand me and I wasn't muttered, isn't it an elegance of a gentleman.

Edited by ChiDragon

I really like this opening verse of the Analects. A couple thoughts/questions:

Would it be forcing something onto the text to look for a classification of virtues in these three (seemingly rhetorical) questions? I'm seeing something like this:

1. "To obtain new knowledge...": Knowledge or wisdom
  2. "There were school mates...": Care for others or hospitality (or maybe just friendship?)
  3. "Others do not understand me...": Humility or self-reliance/self-determination

I'm wondering if these could be grouped according to intellect, emotion, will (mind, heart, gut)... but this might be a huge stretch and also might overlook some ideas about the unity of heart and mind in xin.

My other thought was about trying to find a "Confucian" wu wei in this passage (the first question about knowledge coming through a regular schedule). It seems like there is something in that about ritual (or at least a habitual or ritualistic approach to life) and possibly about something I've heard called a "carving and polishing" approach to non-action from Edward Slingerland. It's a behaviorist-sounding approach to ingraining proper action into oneself until it becomes effortless, if I understand it correctly. Maybe this is one way of approaching knowledge? Anyways, I want to give that some more thought before saying any more... it feels all over the place.

Edited by Turner

Here is a video that explains the "carving and polishing" idea of wu wei I referenced above:

Maybe there's something about that in this verse, maybe not. I think it also came to mind when I recently posted Analect Ten, which talks about Confucius obtaining information without even trying to get it; his character simply led others to share it. Seemed very wu wei, although in a way that involved a lot of prior effort (self-cultivation).

Sign in to follow this