Sign in to follow this  
Thus-gone

New to qigong - what just happened?

So I just began incorporating a bare-bones zhan zhuang exercise into my meditation practice. I have no experience with energy work, but I do have a relatively extensive (and fruitful) history with meditation (I'm a full-time zen practitioner). As such, I am already very sensitive to chi and its movement in the body, and can manipulate it to a small degree with my awareness.

So far, the standing practice has been incredibly beneficial. It has very quickly begun its process of grounding and balancing the energy that I've accumulated in my meditation. One thing that has been quite distressing lately has been a feeling of uncomfortable vibrations around my lower abdomen, which was linked to a general sense of anxiety and tension throughout the body.

So this evening during a round of formal sitting, I started to feel, as usual, the unpleasant vibrations in my abdomen and its concomitant sensations of fear, ungroundedness and tension. But after a few minutes of this I began to notice the sensation of my legs more and more as energy began to forcefully ground itself downwards. And then, very suddenly, all the vibrations and tension in the lower abdomen, along with the general feelings of fear and ungroundedness, completely dissolved and I was left with an immaculate stillness. Instantly, I was able to breathe about two times deeper than I thought was even possible. My abdomen has become way, way more flexible. I feel a deep, unmoving groundedness and integration with my core.

So I don't really know anything about energy work and thus don't have a framework with which to identify what happened. It does feel like a permanent shift - definitely doesn't have the flavor of a fleeting experience. So far I've noticed that my concentration has improved dramatically. I feel exquisitely normal. Was this an opening of some sort? What is the theory behind all this? I'm curious about what the implications are, and where to go from here.

Thanks very much for your time!

. Was this an opening of some sort?

Most likely that is the answer.

-My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen

Ken Cohen is a BS free writer on the WTF of QiGong effects.

You could do worse than check him out.

He's a genuine PhD and a top cultivator.

Sign in to follow this