Sign in to follow this  
Spectrum

Fair Maiden Working Shuttles

Does anyone know the metaphorical significance of "Fair Maiden Working Shuttles" in Tai Chi? The Nei Jing Tu digram also has a Fair Maiden; I am curious if the object next to her has a name (looking like a pole w/ some type of disc or drum on it); is this a pictrographic reference to the shuttles metaphor? What is She Shuttling?

Spectrum

Does anyone know the metaphorical significance of "Fair Maiden Working Shuttles" in Tai Chi? The Nei Jing Tu digram also has a Fair Maiden; I am curious if the object next to her has a name (looking like a pole w/ some type of disc or drum on it); is this a pictrographic reference to the shuttles metaphor? What is She Shuttling?

Spectrum

The move is derived from hexagram 60 of the I Ching. The Jade girl working at the shuttles is a serving maid to the taoist immortals. She moves the wooden shuttle with smooth body turns lika a water wheel. There are four turns corresponding to the number of seasons in the year, and to the four directions around the central axis represented by the mystical animals: South-Red Phoenix-Fire; East-Green Dragon-Wood; West-White Tiger-Metal; North-Black Turtle-Water. The Earth, Yellow Snake, corresponding to "self," is in the center. The lady at the shuttle is shuttling the world.

The fighting application for fair lady works shuttles is: the first hand lifts the opponent's arm up and the second hand delivers a palm strike upwards, under the sternum, to the heart.

Edited by Starjumper7

Sign in to follow this