darx888

looking for some help<<<please

hi there everyone.. my name is Darius and im new to this group..

ive noticed that there have been some discussions regarding the Kunlun system by Max Christensen and needed to ask a few questions related to something i found out recently..

in Max's do's and dont's he explicitly mentions that people that are bipolar should not attempt to do Red dragon and Kunlun and perhaps only try the One-breath and Five elements.. his reason for this is that bipolar people need "grounding first in the outer world"..

What does this grounding in the outer world mean exactly?

I was diagnosed at a young age.. have not taken medications for quite a few years and feel relatively healthy.. what if i was misdiagnosed?

Should i use the one breath and five elements to "ground" myself in the outer world and then begin the rest of Kunlun?

And how would i then know that i was ready to officially begin?

Any advice would be welcome.. especially from people experienced with Kunlun or know anyone with bipolar that overcame this supposed chemical imbalance to lead a normal, spiritual life..

I refuse to believe that i need to be medicated for the rest of my life.

Welcome to TTB Darius. It is fun here.

Best you check with your doctor or other qualified medical practitioner before embarking on internal cultivation.

They are the experts and will be able to advise on what is best for you. Take the book along and explain what is involved as best you can too. That's the same advice you'll get from any qualified teacher and it really is best to begin cultivation with a teacher rather than going it alone. There be dragons out there buddy. Be very careful and only proceed with qualified approval.

HTH and best wishes to you.

• Like 1

Thank you for your response Grandmaster.. I understand your point of view.. that it is best to proceed with the help of a "qualified" medical practitioner..

I currently dont have a doctor and dont plan on having one.. In my experience i have only encountered fearful, dogmatic individuals that disguise themselves as psychiatrists and psychologists that use medicaion and western medicine as their tools.. i dont believe in or prescribe to these ideas..

so it would seem flawed to me to approach someone, with the Kunlun book in hand, and expect them to come close to understanding how best to proceed with ideas that are alien to them.

ive reached the point of needing to reach qualified individuals who undestand what Max means by saying that people who have been diagnosed with bipolar need grounding in the outside world.. and that they can only start with the five elements and one breath..

darx888.....

If you cannot find the answer in the book, then you will never find the answer. Perhaps you go ask the author what they all meant by him....!!!

Relax Darx,

I have no idea what or who you are talking about, or what book. Nor am i any sort of chi kung master but i do know that the harder you look for an answer the further it will get from you. Anxiety and tunnel vision can destroy your ability to absorb/shed things that you desire/dislike. Calm down and take a breath.

I suffered from anxiety and it turned my world upside down (or so i thought) and searched high and low for a cure other than Perscription meds, but ended up worse off than before. I was doing what i thought i should be doing rather than what i needed to be doing.....big difference BTW.......anywho, naturopathic medicine has helped me as has doing a little "house cleaning" inside the old noggin and i would not reccomend taking perscription drugs nor diving into chi kung if not in the right mindset.

Start slow, empty your head, go with your gut.

Welcome to TTB Darius. It is fun here.

Best you check with your doctor or other qualified medical practitioner before embarking on internal cultivation.

They are the experts and will be able to advise on what is best for you. Take the book along and explain what is involved as best you can too. That's the same advice you'll get from any qualified teacher and it really is best to begin cultivation with a teacher rather than going it alone. There be dragons out there buddy. Be very careful and only proceed with qualified approval.

HTH and best wishes to you.

That's very good advice and if you can't contact the author of the book and s/he won't therefore help you if you encounter a problem with their system, then walk (or preferably run) in the opposite direction!

• Like 1

Maybe meditation: eg. http://www.hindawi.com/journals/drt/2012/246725/

If you are that drawn into Kunlun, you can try to get in touch with Jenny Lamb, she's the original transmitter of Kunlun level 1. Most likely she will advise against practicing it in this case though, but maybe she might have an extra advice for you.

What does this grounding in the outer world mean exactly?

I think it means you aren't caught up in energy, mind, spirit, etc. You are calm and living life simply, doing what needs to be done, enjoying things. Your attention goes outward rather than inward. You can notice the beauty around you. You aren't fatigued or anything...just feeling great.

A direct practice that helps this a lot is in the link in my signature, "Cultivating Heartfulness". I view it as more important than most practices out there. Some Western alchemists place a great emphasis on doing it every day, before all else, to ensure their monkey mind (which they identify as mercury) is totally pacified.

Instead of looking at whether you are "allowed" to do a certain practice or not, instead think of what spiritual cultivation involves. Is your mind calm? Do you feel balanced? Are you healthy? Is your life in order? Instead of doing a "powerful" thing, sometimes it's more effective to take care of the basics...then everything falls into place in the best way. If you do the "powerful" thing at the wrong time, it drains you of power, peace, and progress. So...don't be fooled by appearances...always focus on what is beneficial first rather than whatever is fancy.

Is this the wrong time for you to do something powerful? Who knows. The positive or negative results from trying, will reveal that...or you can play it safe (which is the smart thing to do...trust me).

You won't be missing out if you follow Max's advice to only practice 5E and one breath. Those things are powerful, too...but are also balancing. Do you have the discipline to do what is necessary, rather than what everyone else seems to be doing? Discipline is good to cultivate. That is something which empowers you. Then after doing, check your results...have you improved in any way, or have you gotten worse? Adjust as necessary.

Also...Max has said that certain practices accomplish everything (like the one breath), and that masters in the past only practiced one thing for their entire life and achieved a lot (i jong posture, the preparation before 5E). Then, benefiting the five elements in you is an additional bonus. So if you like these practices, go for it and enjoy.

Hello Darius. There are many styles of qigong that do not have this contraindication. It might be worth considering why you are drawn to practice one that does.

• Like 1

That's very good advice and if you can't contact the author of the book and s/he won't therefore help you if you encounter a problem with their system, then walk (or preferably run) in the opposite direction!

Every cultivation book I have ever read has some sort of disclaimer at the front along the lines of...

"The author and the publisher are not responsible in any manner whatsoever for any injury etc etc.... That may result from reading this book.....It is essential that a physician be consulted prior to cultivation or training"

I have often wondered if that is enough or if, in these litigious times; anyone has claimed to have been harmed via cultivating a set or technique they read in a book and then sued the author or publisher.

Some of the stuff you read could be absolutley lethal in the wrong hands, not the MMA type moves I'm thinking more of the internal cultivation work that is tough enough for someone 100% well which might do no good at all for anyone with underlying psychological

or mental health issues and , at worst; might even make them more poorly than they were in the first place.

I have a lot of time and deep respect for Grandmaster Mantak Chia but his super Yang-ey forms simply do not suit some people at all, his teachers are the first to spot that and direct those students elsewhere. Now that can't happen via a book or a DVD.

• Like 1

Every cultivation book I have ever read has some sort of disclaimer at the front along the lines of...

"The author and the publisher are not responsible in any manner whatsoever for any injury etc etc.... That may result from reading this book.....It is essential that a physician be consulted prior to cultivation or training"

I have often wondered if that is enough or if, in these litigious times; anyone has claimed to have been harmed via cultivating a set or technique they read in a book and then sued the author or publisher.

Some of the stuff you read could be absolutley lethal in the wrong hands, not the MMA type moves I'm thinking more of the internal cultivation work that is tough enough for someone 100% well which might do no good at all for anyone with underlying psychological

or mental health issues and , at worst; might even make them more poorly than they were in the first place.

I have a lot of time and deep respect for Grandmaster Mantak Chia but his super Yang-ey forms simply do not suit some people at all, his teachers are the first to spot that and direct those students elsewhere. Now that can't happen via a book or a DVD.

Yes. After encountering AYP, it has to be face-to-face as far as I'm concerned.

It's also a good idea to check-out the long-tem students and to stay well away from DIY systems (i.e. those with no established respectable lineage).