Sign in to follow this  
SunLover

Shiva God of Death sitting on slain tiger skin

statue-shiva-bangalore.jpg

Do you know why Lord Shiva, the Lord of Death, is sitting on a slain tiger skin?

Tigers and Lions may think they are courageous fearsome animals but an animal is still an animal susceptible to the forces of life and death itself. Tigers are also some of the lowest animals on earth because the objective of their entire existence is nothing more than killing and providing for their young.

However, all animals must remember that regardless of how powerful a tiger or lion is, it still dies in the end from old age, disease and other cause of death.

Lord Shiva, the Lord of Death is sitting on a slain tiger skin because he is sending a message to those animals out there who think they are oh so dangerous.

Never forget Lord Shiva is the True Lord of Death who can take your life and your tiger/lion skin anytime he wants and use your tiger/lion skin as a meditation mat.

This is why we must sincerely pray to Lord Shiva and beg his forgiveness for our sins if we want to truly avoid calamities in our lives.

Om Namah Shivaya!

Edited by SunLover

As far as I am concerned, when humanity do Ascend to the next Dimension after 21st Dec 2012..

tigers and lions and other animals whose only purpose in existence is nothing more than hunting and killing and breeding and providing for their young will be completely wiped off the face of existence.. this include men whose evolutionary level is so low that they can't think beyond breeding and killing for their family..

After Ascension, there is only one purpose for all of Existence.. Evolution.. Any animal who still remained trapped in the lower samsaric cycles of breeding and killing others will be wiped off from the face of existence forever and no amount of time traveling into the past will ever change their fate..

• Like 1

I don't think that's the correct interpretation. Why do human beings then use tiger skins as a meditation mat, when they will also die? If we're talking purely on a symbolic level...then it can symbolize intuition and intellect overcoming instinct.

Also...once again, the weird obsession with religion and death...

Why do you think Dinosaurs became extinct? Because they fail to rise above their animal instincts of killing, eating and breeding. Pretty soon, all tigers and lions and other predatory animals who fail to rise above their animal instincts of self-survival, killing, eating and breeding will go the way of the Dinosaurs.

Complete Extinction.

Oh!

I thought that Shiva chose a tiger's skin because it was fashionable.

Once a shaman told me something about sexual energy.

He said that sexual energy is like a tiger in jail. Unpredictable.

When you are celibate, you are feeding your tiger with dry food for cats and you think that you can control your sexual urges...

but when the tiger smell the blood and wants to eat real flesh, she can no longer be subjugated.

Yogis sit on tiger or deer skin or seat made of kusha grass depending on what qualities they want to cultivate due to subtle vibrations present in the sit. For example sitting on polyester blanket or plastic seat is contra conducive for energy cultivation practices.

Anyway, I think that long ago if the yogis didnt want to get their ass wet they had to sit on something, and there wasnt many other alternatives present but animal skin.

You are sort of right in a way about the representation in a way but also sort of wrong.

1. Shiva did not slay the Tiger. The tiger gave its skin to Lord Shiva to make him comfortable. So Shiva did not destroy his lower nature, he mastered it, and it helped him in return.

2. Sitting on the tiger skin does represents mastery over the passionate and animalistic nature but not as a total repression or destruction of it. Shiva is not just the meditating yogi, but also the Family man with wife and child {Parvarti and Ganesh}, and is Nataraj, the Lord of the dance.

He Is the Consummate Tantric practitioner. He can use all adverse situations {and substances} and turn them into powerful Sadanha. He Makes love with Goddesses. He hangs out with Ghosts and parties with Demons. He hangs out in grave yards and eats corpses. Then he comes home and cares for his house...

• Like 4

Sitting on the tiger skin does represents mastery over the passionate and animalistic nature but not as a total repression or destruction of it. Shiva is not just the meditating yogi, but also the Family man with wife and child {Parvarti and Ganesh}, and is Nataraj, the Lord of the dance.

He Is the Consummate Tantric practitioner. He can use all adverse situations {and substances} and turn them into powerful Sadanha. He Makes love with Goddesses. He hangs out with Ghosts and parties with Demons. He hangs out in grave yards and eats corpses. Then he comes home and cares for his house...

Thank you Seth. Over and over people create ideas and generalities from foreign religions and too often its done through a key hole approach, where the actual history and tradition is ignored in favor of a preconceived idea.

Seems to me SunLover is trying to squeeze Shiva into the mold of an angry old testament god and he won't fit. A god who parties with demons might not be the- sin listening and forgiving archetype he imagines. Shiva didn't kill the tiger because its a primitive or unworthy, quite the opposite its worthy, intelligent and self sacrificing. I'd add the tiger doesn't 'think' its fearsome. Its a tiger; without trying it reacts naturally in a whole spectrum of ways but when hungry, angry or threatened it is fearsome beast.

Edited by thelerner

shiva is called Mahadeva (God of Gods)

he is the originator of Tantra as well all occult arts

regarding the tiger skin

here in India there is a whole show based on Shiva

in that show he once said that people kill animals for their food and he doesnt favor it

he said that he uses the skin of tiger only after the tiger dies naturally.......

and Tiger skin is a very good insulator

Yep for a tiger it's a brilliant insulator but why anyone would want to use animal pelts for clothes or furniture beats me.

Fair enough if nothing else is avaiable but it's not a though most of us are stuck for choice is it?

Why do you think Dinosaurs became extinct? Because they fail to rise above their animal instincts of killing, eating and breeding. Pretty soon, all tigers and lions and other predatory animals who fail to rise above their animal instincts of self-survival, killing, eating and breeding will go the way of the Dinosaurs.

Complete Extinction.

The dinosaurs became extinct because a huge ass meteor landed on them. If all tiger and lions got hit with a huge ass meteor, you can bet that they would also go extinct - and so would you and me, and everything else on earth, regardless of how 'highly evolved' we become.

Thank you Seth. Over and over people create ideas and generalities from foreign religions and too often its done through a key hole approach, where the actual history and tradition is ignored in favor of a preconceived idea.

Seems to me SunLover is trying to squeeze Shiva into the mold of an angry old testament god and he won't fit. A god who parties with demons might not be the- sin listening and forgiving archetype he imagines. Shiva didn't kill the tiger because its a primitive or unworthy, quite the opposite its worthy, intelligent and self sacrificing. I'd add the tiger doesn't 'think' its fearsome. Its a tiger; without trying it reacts naturally in a whole spectrum of ways but when hungry, angry or threatened it is fearsome beast.

Nothing is as fearsome as an Angry and Hungry God of Death.

The dinosaurs became extinct because a huge ass meteor landed on them. If all tiger and lions got hit with a huge ass meteor, you can bet that they would also go extinct - and so would you and me, and everything else on earth, regardless of how 'highly evolved' we become.

When tigers and lions get hit with a huge ass meteor, they would be reincarnated in the next life-time as prey and those whom they preyed on will be reincarnated as tigers and lions who would be destined to consume the former tigers and lions in this life-time.

This is thus known as samsara.

I don't know. I haven't seen any Angry Hungry Gods. Why should a God be hungry anyway??

As always, you keep your gods, I'll keep mine. But I suspect yours is a dark reflection of your psyche influenced by an angry judging teachings, whereas mine is real big and real small who leaves echoes of being in time space and matter.

Edited by thelerner

Mrs GrandmasterP on a bad day would out-fearsome Shiva with one hand tied behind her back.

• Like 2

The only story I read about the Lord of Death was about a son of a father who went looking for him (Death) and when he arrived at Death's house, death was out on a trip (one assumes it was a working trip). But the son hung out at Death's estate until Death got back. If I recall properly (which I'd have to check) the son wants to become Death's disciple. Death offers him a bunch of other very excellent-sounding stuff to get him to go away (the son, not Death) but the kid sticks with it and finally Death takes him on as student and the kid learns everything Death teaches him.

If I find the actual story I will post.

From the picture and given his size it could be that Shiva just hitched a ride on a tiger and flattened the poor creature.

hahahhahahah

nice. poor baby tiger. shiva just squashed it.

He Makes love with Goddesses. He hangs out with Ghosts and parties with Demons. He hangs out in grave yards and eats corpses. Then he comes home and cares for his house...

Awesome. My kind of hero. Is Shiva the one who had to be convinced by other gods after enlightenment to teach because he was just going around too ecstatic? And they had to send Sahakti or Pavarti to him to find a way to persuade him?

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

Mrs Shiva....

You get a bath before you sit down to eat, you stink!

And whaddaya mean you aint hungry?

Don't tell me you've been down that ghat eatin' corpses again!

I'm stuck here at home with little Kali and baby Laxmi all day slaving over a hot stove and you come in here at his hour tellin' me you aint hungry....

Mr. Shiva...

Sorry dear. I promise it won't happen again.

Sign in to follow this