Sign in to follow this  
yondaime109

Dynamic tension/ Tensed tai chi?

I've recently started reading harry wong's book " Dynamic tension" and I've noticed that it's been used by martial arts practicioners all over the world for thousands of years.

Do you also have any knowledge or experience with it?

What kind of gains did you make?

Not for Tai Chi.

Tension is an alien concept.

Didn't Wong take on board the old Charles Atlas system and attempt to intro that into CMA.

Seem to remember something a few years ago. Others will know more.

Some Kung Fu schools (Lama?) have 'kata' routines done at Tai Chi speeds and use heavy muscular tension ala Charles Atlas. I've seen them demonstrated but never done them myself.

I practice a Qi Gong set called Shiba Luohangong (18 Arhat Qigong)

It can be practiced either with relaxation and neigong (氣沉丹田) or with dynamic tension and packing the Qi forcefully into the dan tian. I would NOT recommend this type of dynamic tension approach to internal work without experienced guidance because it can be hazardous.

It does have value, however, especially for those who train in external styles.

• Like 1

Tension is very good for you and is part of every REAL internal system without it, your internal is lost a precious part of its oneness. All traditional chinese systems have yin yang if it doesnt within its body methods seek a REAL system that does!

Every system I teach and have been taught has both softness and hardness, and I teach some very rare internal arts dating back thousands of years....You cannot go through life without tension or softness its natural and the way!

Sign in to follow this