Sign in to follow this  
Videodrome

New to Tao

I've been interested in Buddhism for a while and about a month ago picked up a copy of Tao Te Ching in a used book store. I had been curious about what exactly Taoism was about.

Both Buddhism and Taoism seem to be pretty good practical approaches to life, yet both also have some religious trappings attached to them I'm not sure about.

I recently read a Kindle book called Taoism 101 that was a good break down on the basics. The author of that book also mentioned this very website.... and so here I am. ^_^

Buddhism is to stay away from the bitter life of the competitive materialistic world to have a peace of mind.

Taoism is to live naturally, stay in balance, and in harmony with Nature.

Thanks. I hope to better understand some terminology while visiting this site.

I think I get the basic gist of things like Yin and Yang and the familiar symbol in ChiDragon's avatar.

Personally, I'm not sure where I am in terms of spirituality or religion. I tend to meander all over the place. I also find myself influenced by skeptics/atheists.

I think one main person I feel similar to spiritually is Neil Degrasse Tyson in his videos when he raves about the Cosmos and astrophysics. I kind of connect with that same feeling when I look at the deep space Hubble pictures.

Taoist food is much tastier than Buddhist food, more spices and a wider menu.

Hubble pics are nice, but can they bake bread?

Welcome to the forum.

:-)

LOL....thats funny.

I too have been around the block searching for a religion that fits, and then realized that it doesnt work that way......as Lao Tzu mentioned in the opening chapter of his writing.

Hold on to your hat and put your shades on, your in for a wild ride if you can empty the ole cup.

Sign in to follow this