Sign in to follow this  
Yoda

European parenting question

A few days ago, I was in a situation where there was some moral reprimand in the air when it came out that my kids sleep in the same bed as me and Mrs. Yoda. (actually two beds pushed together... the megabed)

I've heard that kids sleep with their parents in Asia, Africa, and South America. If anyone knows about Europe do tell, I'm curious. Thanks!

Yoda

Probably 30-40% of parents in Norway sleep together with their kids until they are 3 - 4 years old. It has it's own term "Samsoving" and is said to make calmer, less emotionally needy kids. Some disagree ofcourse.

What's up with the reprimand?

Miss Hagar and myself have our now 9 month old son sleeping in a bed put together with ours, so that we don't sleep on needles, afraid of turning over and suffocating him...

h

A few days ago, I was in a situation where there was some moral reprimand in the air when it came out that my kids sleep in the same bed as me and Mrs. Yoda. (actually two beds pushed together... the megabed)

I've heard that kids sleep with their parents in Asia, Africa, and South America. If anyone knows about Europe do tell, I'm curious. Thanks!

Hagar,

Thanks, I was hoping for your Norwegian perspective!

In most of the population in the US minus the Asians and Hispanics and Hippies is the belief that kids will be too clingy if everyone sleeps in the same bed. I think there are obvious pluses and minuses to either approach but given mine and Mrs Yoda's temperment and chilled out homeschooling lifestyle, cosleeping is the best.

The judgement against me was that I was being a bad parent, but it was just a vibe from somebody I don't see much so no biggie. Actually, the grandparents on both sides are weirded out by it too, and the homeschooling, and all our little alternative ways, but we just don't chat about it and it all works out somehow.

-Yoda

An old friend had a good little phrase, "a full cup", to refer to people who got plenty of love and stability (from family, mostly) as a kid. The idea was that if you got a full cup growing up, it really really helped sustain you (on all levels) in adulthood. And that, once you're an adult, it's much much harder to fill whatever hadn't been filled as a kid.

An old friend had a good little phrase, "a full cup", to refer to people who got plenty of love and stability (from family, mostly) as a kid. The idea was that if you got a full cup growing up, it really really helped sustain you (on all levels) in adulthood. And that, once you're an adult, it's much much harder to fill whatever hadn't been filled as a kid.

Agreed! Yoda, you are doing the right thing. Check out "The Aware Baby" by Aletha Jauch Solter and "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost" by Jean Liedloff.

I have this idea to mail copies of these 2 books to every expecting parent in the world. For starters, where to get such a list of expecting parents? In New York for starters?

God bless you! Your kids will grow up amazing.

Edited by SheepishLord

Now, out of all posibilities, that was the LAST thing I expected you to say

Your new avatar is you showing how much seminal fluid leaks out in your sleep, yes?

Your new avatar is you showing how much seminal fluid leaks out in your sleep, yes?

Damn! Better keep Max out of our bed! :)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

*laughing so hard that she'll have to change her pants*

Masta P, I'm in agreement with 'Smile', there. That was so out of character as I read it, I was thinking the exact same thing. (though, I am a woman, so you probably won't think diddly of my opinion, ha ha)

But also I'm in agreement that there's nothing disadvantageous or detrimental about it, Masta Y.

I totally dig that you're spreading loving kindness through example. Way to do it, man.

But the avatar is rockin'.

Much better than the green phallus.

Masta P, I'm in agreement with 'Smile', there. That was so out of character as I read it, I was thinking the exact same thing. (though, I am a woman, so you probably won't think diddly of my opinion, ha ha)

Intrigue=Attraction :P

Sign in to follow this