Sign in to follow this  
Kev

How accurate/reliable is this book?

I found on the forum a book called 'The Eight Extraordinary Meridians Qigong' by James MacRitchie. It is from the 'The Global Qi Project' and is free.

http://globalqiproje...ians-Qigong.pdf

How accurate and reliable is this book for basic Taoist teachings? What solid book, that thoroughly covers the basics, would you recommend instead?

Much thanks.

For anyone intersetd in QiGong theory then this is really good value for money (it is free) and there has a lot of work gone into it. It's as good as anything you'd pay £20-00 and a maybe a lot more for.

Minor quibbles.

Page 78 part 2... 'Gathering at Your Navel' is wrong, he means Lower Tan t'ien.

Maybe the acupuncture info is a bit sparse too but anyone going into that would probably know from their teacher which texts they needed.

He's not giving anything away moves wise, those DVDs look to be $100-00 for the set but one of the most 'generous' advertisements I've come across.

Not being about those, it's neither use nor ornament for "basic Taoist teachings" .

HTH

I haven't read through the entire text and I don't know anything about the author.

I'm a little put off by the fact that he doesn't mention the breath in his introduction.

And barely mentions it in the first few exercises.

This makes the entire work a bit suspect for me.

Qi is an elusive concept and can be described and defined in many ways.

One of those is breathing or breath.

When describing the practice and theory of Qi Gong, I think it is critical to focus the student on the breath and that specific aspect of Qi, especially in a manual intended to provide practical instruction. This is because the practice of Qi Gong begins with attention to the breath and relatively simple and natural body movement.

Over time, the more subtle and controversial aspects of Qi become obvious to the practitioner in a way that theory can never describe. This is the foundation of Daoist practices.

As that occurs, the practice naturally matures into more of the Nei Gong aspects.

I'm admittedly biased by my own teacher's methods of instruction but I think the author is packing too much theory and extraneous material into the manual which is more a distraction than a help to the beginning student interested in the practice

of Daoist methods. Basic and accurate instruction in the method will do much more for you in the long run than a few pages of theory. I don't mean to be too harsh but that tends to be my nature - apologies if I offend anyone associated with the author or methods described.

Another thing I don't like is that the author makes some misleading statements in the introduction:

"this knowledge has been held in secrecy in China and the East - reserved for the aristocracy, monks, doctors, martial artists and the most privileged."

Not accurate. Certainly some methods were secretive and others quite widespread. Qigong was a method that the average peasant could practice for free to help maintain health. The vast majority of currently practiced Qigong has been developed in the past few decades, following the cultural revolution, when there's been an explosion of opportunists trying to sell their "secret methods."

"there is no knowledge or understanding of the human Energy System in the West, there is no tradition or history - for a variety of questionable reasons."

Ridiculous! There are many traditions throughout indigenous American and European cultures that work with human and environmental energies, quite effectively. Even to deny the acknowledgement of energetics in current Western health care methods is completely inaccurate. It would be true to say none are exactly like the systems developed in the East but the Chinese do not have an exclusive claim on the understanding and manipulation of energy. Just about every indigenous culture has insight into this not to mention modern scientific methods.

Two books I'd recommend on the subject are:

The Way of Energy by Lam Kam Chuen

Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body by Bruce Frantzis

I've never practiced any methods in the books because I've never found anything that made me want to divert time from what my teacher gave me to practice. I have read through those two books and think they offer accurate and clearly communicated information.

That said, I think that credible, personal instruction is infinitely more effective than any book or video.

You may be able to find a teacher near you or post or PM members here that can give you some guidance.

Edited by steve

Kev if you are new and interesetd in cultivating I strongly recommend you begin with the QiGong set known as

8 Strands of Silk Brocade.

It's pretty easy to learn and once you have it remebered you'll find a lot of things begin to make more sense to you than they did before you began cultivating QiGong.

Good Luck.

Kev if you are new and interesetd in cultivating I strongly recommend you begin with the QiGong set known as

It's pretty easy to learn and once you have it remebered you'll find a lot of things begin to make more sense to you than they did before you began cultivating QiGong.

Good Luck.

and thanks for posting a nice video of my teacher. :)

I found on the forum a book called 'The Eight Extraordinary Meridians Qigong' by James MacRitchie. It is from the 'The Global Qi Project' and is free.

http://globalqiproje...ians-Qigong.pdf

How accurate and reliable is this book for basic Taoist teachings? What solid book, that thoroughly covers the basics, would you recommend instead?

Much thanks.

I can tell you that the author is most knowledgeable and a great guy. If you want to experience qigong-style acupuncture go for a session with him - you will most probably be amazed. He probably knows as much about the real classical acupuncture (as opposed to communist style TCM) as anyone in the USA.

Personally I wouldn't consider this "basic Taoist teachings" but is about exactly what he states: 8 Extraordinary Vessels which I know is of particular interest to the author.

Basic Taoist foundations include a lot of training. My suggestion is to find an in-person teacher. If Jim MacRitchie is anywhere close to you I recommend him as a highly honest and capable teacher.

The book is free, what does one have to lose by reading it then coming to one's own conclusion?

• Like 2

I haven't read through the entire text and I don't know anything about the author.

I'm a little put off by the fact that he doesn't mention the breath in his introduction.

And barely mentions it in the first few exercises.

This makes the entire work a bit suspect for me.

Qi is an elusive concept and can be described and defined in many ways.

One of those is breathing or breath.

When describing the practice and theory of Qi Gong, I think it is critical to focus the student on the breath and that specific aspect of Qi, especially in a manual intended to provide practical instruction. This is because the practice of Qi Gong begins with attention to the breath and relatively simple and natural body movement.

Over time, the more subtle and controversial aspects of Qi become obvious to the practitioner in a way that theory can never describe. This is the foundation of Daoist practices.

As that occurs, the practice naturally matures into more of the Nei Gong aspects.

I'm admittedly biased by my own teacher's methods of instruction but I think the author is packing too much theory and extraneous material into the manual which is more a distraction than a help to the beginning student interested in the practice

of Daoist methods. Basic and accurate instruction in the method will do much more for you in the long run than a few pages of theory. I don't mean to be too harsh but that tends to be my nature - apologies if I offend anyone associated with the author or methods described.

Another thing I don't like is that the author makes some misleading statements in the introduction:

"this knowledge has been held in secrecy in China and the East - reserved for the aristocracy, monks, doctors, martial artists and the most privileged."

Not accurate. Certainly some methods were secretive and others quite widespread. Qigong was a method that the average peasant could practice for free to help maintain health. The vast majority of currently practiced Qigong has been developed in the past few decades, following the cultural revolution, when there's been an explosion of opportunists trying to sell their "secret methods."

"there is no knowledge or understanding of the human Energy System in the West, there is no tradition or history - for a variety of questionable reasons."

Ridiculous! There are many traditions throughout indigenous American and European cultures that work with human and environmental energies, quite effectively. Even to deny the acknowledgement of energetics in current Western health care methods is completely inaccurate. It would be true to say none are exactly like the systems developed in the East but the Chinese do not have an exclusive claim on the understanding and manipulation of energy. Just about every indigenous culture has insight into this not to mention modern scientific methods.

I've never practiced any methods in the books because I've never found anything that made me want to divert time from what my teacher gave me to practice. I have read through those two books and think they offer accurate and clearly communicated information.

That said, I think that credible, personal instruction is infinitely more effective than any book or video.

You may be able to find a teacher near you or post or PM members here that can give you some guidance.

Breath is actually the first source of generating qi. The air that we breath contains qi. All beginners should learn how to breath using their diaphragm and tightening the lower dan tien. This is the very root of qi gong and as Chuang Tzu said a true man's breath comes from his heels upwards. If proper breathing is left out, then its no good. Anyone can simply dance and breath properly and start to stimulate their qi. Any movement will do, breathing properly is that important to qi. Opening the gates of Heaven and earth are also important. Once the proper breath has been established then the movement is important to coincide with this. Some qi gong some people should not practice others are ok. A good teacher is a must.

The text you have in your signature is captivating. Is it from Lao Tzu?

It's pretty easy to learn and once you have it remebered you'll find a lot of things begin to make more sense to you than they did before you began cultivating QiGong. Good Luck.

I will be practicing this. Thank you.

Thank you for the book recommendations.

Sign in to follow this