Fallen Monk

New Life

hi im new to this. im a practitioer to kung fu, very open about everything. if anyone can please help me understand more of this belief: practices, holidays, goal? any. i am researching but it is better to hear from people. thank you greatly.

Yeah, what about holidays!? I want a day off !

Dear Fallen Monk,

If you've fallen, look around and make sure yr physically ok, then make yourself at home where-ever you find yourself. Then look inside yourself to figure out where you need to be/go next. There may well be a very good reason that new conditions prevail...

Making the best of what you have, rather than seeking to gain ground in striving efforts is a concept in a Taoist mode...But one we tend to forget around here from time to time.

We are a mixed-bag of eager-beavers looking, seeking and often finding more of ourselves in our surroundings...I hope you will have a great time with da bums...-Wayfarer

ps - please visit my links page for some more Taoist (& etc...) - input-@-

http://www.pdgart.com/lipnf.html

Enjoy!

Hi fallen monk,

The best advice I can give you is read and ponder. If you are new to Taoism its probably best to start with a gentle introduction. You may find that if you a reading the core texts of Taoism as a start, they might be hard to grasp.

Benjamin Hoffs 'the Tao of pooh' is a good introduction to the Tao. Have a read of it and think about it. Then I would recommend investing in a good Tao Te Ching perhaps by Richard Wilhelm. In this book you will find the core text of Taoism and commentary on its meaning. I have had the same copy for years and re-read it two or three times a year. It never gets old and I learn something new each time.

From there you will have a good foundation in what is Taoism and it will be easier for you to learn more.

From studying Tao you will gain a much deeper insight into your martial art.

Good luck

You're question seems impossible for me to grasp. I came to awareness of Tao before I knew the philosophy had a name and arts. Qi gong introduced me to chi, internal strength and balance. Kung Fu, what does that translate to mean? Observe Nature and nothing else. I read very little. Practice the arts and perhaps awareness will emerge.

Hmmm, I just had a thought Tao is expressed in many different ways. Listen to Raindrops Prelude by Chopin. This is a human expression of emotion with Nature. There is no difference between the raindrop and you, you and the raindrop. If you can emerse yourself in this than you may perceive the subtleness of this practice.

Welcome Monk,

If you have not already read the Tao Te Ching, buy as many translations as you can find/afford and spend the next lifetime reading and meditating.. The rest will come of it's own.

Listen to Raindrops Prelude by Chopin.

I learnt to play the piano just to play the Raindrop Prelude. I'm not sure what it has to do with the Dao more than anything else, though I was thinking just yesterday about why I was drawn to it. It has that repeating note out of which the melody emerges. The initial and ending sections are lighter and seemingly inconsequential and the middle section is more elemental and "beautiful" as opposed to "pretty", and yet they echo one another in both timing and melody

Well anyways, you're not alone on this board in appreciating it.