adept

Reiki

Finally, I would suggest that a 'psychic' calling Reiki a scam and 'unsafe' is pretty laughable. In Jim's case, he has karma with Tibetan Buddhists which he has not resolved.

Very interesting. Do you have the ability to remotely "sense" such things (as in Jim's case)?

:)

Now we have run the gamut from "Reiki" does nothing to "Reiki" can cause spirit possession.

If someone has a bad experience with it, we should pay attention and not try to silence them.

• Like 2

There is much misinformation and misinterpretation about Reiki, especially from Westerners with religious backgrounds.

And how do you know it's "misinformation and misinterpretation" and not genuine information based on cases like mine?

In my opinion, the biggest misinformation comes from Reiki followers, who pretend that such problems do not occur and that Reiki is a wonderful thing, without any possible problems or dangers. And as I have experienced myself, there is a severe blank spot in that picture.

If somebody would warn me, tell me what I could go through, I would never do the blasted Reiki attunement and I would keep away from it as far as possible. And perhaps that is exactly why the Reiki followers do not speak about it - if people would know about possibility of such problems, probably two-thirds (if not more) of potential Reiki initiates would run for the hills.

I have given Reiki to dozens of people (in person and by distance) and never had any kind of negative experience. I've received Reiki from numerous Reiki Masters and never had a negative experience.

And what does that prove? It proves that SOME people do Reiki and have no problems. It doesn't change the fact that SOME OTHER people do get problems.

For example many people smoke a lot and never develop lung cancer. But it doesn't mean that smoking is harmless.

Spirit attachments are really not that uncommon but please don't blame Reiki for your spirit attachment.

I got "posession problem" only once in my life, FEW HOURS AFTER Reiki attunment. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Edited by Narew

In your first post you made it sound like your problems arose from receiving Reiki. In this post you seem to be indicating that you have instead received an attunement, which is completely different as I am sure you know.

Ok. To be precise, it was a level one attunement (initiation).

Perhaps if you could provide some additional information such as how you located the master who attuned you, or any other details, it would help to lend credence to your very vague claim of "Reiki posession". I'm not trying to say you didn't have a bad experience, but you appear to be utilizing the "take my word for it even though I won't tell you anything about the situation" approach that seems to be commonly employed by portions of the community when they want to be able to argue something without their case being able to be examined, refuted, or contested in any way.

As I wrote before, these were some of the worst, most traumatic hours of my life. And I feel discomfort when thinking about that time. That's why I do not wish to discuss these events in depth - because I do not want to relive them.

I did experience a very traumatic problem which could be described as a "posession attempt". And I did experience it a few hours after the Reiki attunement. That's not a "claim", that's what has happened.

As for the person who initiated me, I don't want to remember that person. I dimly recall there was some kind of Reiki diploma on the wall. And I think I did receive some kind of diploma also, but I threw it away. The event had taken place about 15-17 years ago.

Edited by Narew

I'm not trying to be rude to you or anything, it is just that you are brand new here and one of your first posts is a fairly contenteous one in a thread that has already been riddled with misinformation, for which you will supply no details on an event that occurred almost two decades ago. Surely you can understand why it is difficult to put much weight on the experience you are sharing as being representative of Reiki as a whole.

1. Yes, I'm new on this forum. But what about it? Do you suspect that I might be an old user, who created a duplicate account? I'm not. I came to this forum to speak about my health problem, browsed a number of random threads and it turned out one of these threads was about the thing I once had a tremendously negative experience with - so I wrote a post about it.

2. As for "representative of Reiki as a whole" - I don't claim that my case is representative. But it does show that such a problem can occur. And in my opinion the Reiki community should be more honest about it and actually inform people about the possibility of such complications.

and that the first place you chose to post your account of an event that is completely devoid of details was in a thread that has already been moderated because of the infighting that was occurring with members there.

I already did explain that the problem could be described as a "possesion attempt" and that it happened few hours after a level 1 Reiki attunement. Is that "completely devoid of details"? Would a description of how horribly I felt during the ordeal make you happy?

And this goes to the second part of my point. Your account, being devoid of any details, actually does nothing of the sort. It tells us nothing at all about Reiki or the Reiki community. It tells us only that there is a guy on the internet who claims he had a negative experience caused by Reiki. We know nothing about the setting, or the details of the experience that would give any indication that this is something that the "Reiki community" has any need to address in any way at all, or that it even relates to Reiki at all.

With that kind of attitude, no wonder that infighting occured here. Do you understand that you are putting in doubt my words about one of the most traumatic moments in my life?

And how on Earth could I prove that I had a "posession attempt" problem after Reiki attunement, anyway? How does one prove that?

Anyway, here's a message directed to the people thinking about becoming Reiki practicioners:

1) If you go to a level 1 Reiki attunment, you can get attacked by a spirit/something trying to possess you.

2) At least some Reiki practicioners seem to be either not very knowledgeable or not very honest about it, because they do not inform people about the possibility of #1 happening.

Edited by Narew

As I wrote before, these were some of the worst, most traumatic hours of my life. And I feel discomfort when thinking about that time. That's why I do not wish to discuss these events in depth - because I do not want to relive them.

I did experience a very traumatic problem which could be described as a "posession attempt". And I did experience it a few hours after the Reiki attunement. That's not a "claim", that's what has happened.

As for the person who initiated me, I don't want to remember that person. I dimly recall there was some kind of Reiki diploma on the wall. And I think I did receive some kind of diploma also, but I threw it away. The event had taken place about 15-17 years ago.

Hi there. welcome to the forum. :)

There are a lot of people here who know quite a bit about energy and its machinations and have a whole gamut of experiences. We dont have all the answers, and we have a lot of questions and a lot of investigative energy.

Anecdotal evidence which is vague offers so little examinable information that it holds little weight in a place where discussion is often heated, rigorous, in depth, sceptical.

I'm sure we understand that you dont wish to relive a trauma. It seems you are carrying it with you to this day and are in avoidance of it because it was so awful for you and perhaps you are not entirely clear what happened to you.

Nobody here will know what happened to you , as you dont know, and description is not available to us.

What we do know is that you felt deeply uncomfortable about what happened, it was new to you and you construed it very negatively.

Sorry for your pain. :(

It doesnt tell us a great deal about Reiki, though. This is because people get freaked out by the results of energy work very often. It's part of the territory.. there is a whole area of the energy work territory called Weird Shit. It's a place where people dump the unexplained, either for a while, before they proccess and makes sense of their experiences, or long term because its incomprehensible experience or perhaps best just regarded as being passing scenery that was, and now isnt, and so.. leave it behind and move on.

What I mean is, we are accustomed to weird shit and sorry you experienced some. It tells us that weird shit can happen to people when they enter energy work , reiki included. You believe Reiki should admit that people can experience weird shit due to it.

We sh/could have a lot of things admitted to us as damaging that arent admitted in advance as potentially damaging. It's a question sure enough : do we need to be warned about all possible potentialities in advance... if we do, we are in trouble because it will never happen. What are the potential damages involved in blaming people for not warning us of every remote possible outcome?

When I first saw an energy healer I had outrageously positive outcomes that changed my consciousness for ever, I was never ever again the same person that stepped up to meet him. Not ever. This possibility for radical change in any direction is very real.

Framing it as a complaint in negative cases is totally understandable and yet... lacking in a sense of overview and maturity. I really hope you can get sometihng from this board and its members which give you some form of healing for your trauma. :wub:

In taoism, in spirituality, we look upon all experiences as opportunities to learn. It is difficult indeed to learn whilst traumatised. ;)

I already did explain that the problem could be described as a "possesion attempt" and that it happened few hours after a level 1 Reiki attunement. Is that "completely devoid of details"? Yes, it is completely devoid of specific useful details ..

Would a description of how horribly I felt during the ordeal make you happy?

This question is either sarcasm, or you taking the stance of a potential victim and casting viator in the totally uncalled for role of a perverted sadist. which is it? Perhaps it really is that you dont know how to describe the event. It could be, for example "I felt pressure being exerted on the crown of my head, as well as sexual excitement."

And how on Earth could I prove that I had a "posession attempt" problem after Reiki attunement, anyway? How does one prove that? You could have described what actually happened to your energy field or body or mind that caused you to decide/conclude that it was something other than the movement of energy inside you in unfamiliar ways. Proof is not the point. Contributing something credible is the point. Nobody knows if your response to the reiki was hysterical and misinformed, therefore nobody is able to respond very much to what you are saying. ;)

The point is that you dont wish to describe the event, which we respect. :)

• Like 1

I'm sorry your experience was painful and traumatic. As Cat mentioned, you are still carrying this pain with you.

When I ask about the leading energetic weakness around Reiki and negative experiences, the answer is karmic influences that have not been resolved. This is true for Jim (who you quoted) and for you as well.

Practicing forgetting the pain and trauma (and fear) won't really make it go away, it continues to influence you at the sub-conscious level.

I would suggest you would be better served by resolving the experiences than arguing about any potential dangers of Reiki. When I ask about the 'dangers of Reiki' the answer is 'misinformation' according to energetic testing (which has nothing to do with Reiki).

So it's not to say that you didn't have a bad experience, it's only to point out the misinformation (that Reiki caused the problem). It's true that Reiki can assist in bringing karmic issues to the surface, but it doesn't mean that Reiki is dangerous or unsafe in any way.

Again, it's so easy to confuse cause and effect. When we confuse cause and effect, we tend to misunderstand or misinterpret what's really going on.

Finally, this Reiki Master you saw has an energetic weakness to being 'mean-spirited.' This is unfortunate, I can see how this would negatively color your view of Reiki.

• Like 1

What I mean is, we are accustomed to weird shit and sorry you experienced some. It tells us that weird shit can happen to people when they enter energy work , reiki included. You believe Reiki should admit that people can experience weird shit due to it.

Thanks for admitting that these "weird shit" things can happen with Reiki.

We sh/could have a lot of things admitted to us as damaging that arent admitted in advance as potentially damaging. It's a question sure enough : do we need to be warned about all possible potentialities in advance... if we do, we are in trouble because it will never happen. What are the potential damages involved in blaming people for not warning us of every remote possible outcome?

I do believe that people should be roughly informed about both good and bad possibilities. And as far as I've noticed there's a good deal of resistance among Reiki fans to admit that that there "weird shit" problems with Reiki are even possible.

Framing it as a complaint in negative cases is totally understandable and yet... lacking in a sense of overview and maturity. I really hope you can get sometihng from this board and its members which give you some form of healing for your trauma. :wub:

Actually, I wrote my first post in this thread not as a complaint, but as word of warning to unwary people, who do not know that involving themselves with Reiki can result in "invasion" by a spirit.

So it's not to say that you didn't have a bad experience, it's only to point out the misinformation (that Reiki caused the problem). It's true that Reiki can assist in bringing karmic issues to the surface, but it doesn't mean that Reiki is dangerous or unsafe in any way.

I got a "possesion attempt" problem few hours after Reiki attunement and you claim it wasn't a problem caused by Reiki? In my opinion it's the blame shiting propaganda trick "It's not the fault of the product, it's the fault of the customer". The problem is, the Reiki community doesn't seem to inform the "customers" that these things can happen. The attitude seems to be "Reiki is a wonderful thing and it's 100% safe". Well, it's not 100% safe, if it can bring problems with invading spirits - and your denial of the fact doesn't make it any less true.

Edited by Narew

Hmm...

Not all Reiki is pure.

Some teachers are making up sigils tied to particular spirits. Some are 'chanelling' new symbols, the essence of them totally dependent on their own clarity or lack of.

These fortunately rare teachers then add these symbols to the Atunement process, while still calling it Reiki.

Unfortunately it is not Reiki any longer, but is in fact Reiki +... {+ god knows what...}

Also, some people are already unknowingly possessed.

Atunements and other energetic processes can 'shake' an entity loose, which may make a person suddenly aware of the entity that has been pretty much integrated with their being up until that point.

A muggle may think they are being attacked from outside when in fact it is coming from something they always thought was part of them...

And my last point is that Attunements/Shaktipats/Initiations can really light up the Astral body. Unfortunately there are parasitic entities in the universe, and occasionaly a new Initiate just looks too delicious to something wandering by.

Most schools attempt to bypass this problem by calling whatever positive beings they associate with to be present, and by using protective symbols, circles of light and so on.

Still though, some heavy spirits are more resistant to these measures, like heavy ancestral spirits, spirits tied karmicly to ones bloodline, or previous pact spirits, and once the student goes home, or if adequate protection was not established, then it try's to gain access.

These may seem like 'dangers' but despite the 'negative' experiences they can turn out to be a great healing for yourself, maybe for your family and sometimes for the spirit in question - If handled correctly.

Reiki itself is a pure source of universal energy.

• Like 3

"A muggle may think they are being attacked from outside when in fact it is coming from something they always thought was part of them.."

I got a bit confused with this part. I do have a small experience of having beliefs that I didn't know I had (that's more than annoying BTW) but not of an actual 'entity' that I thought was me then turns out it's not. I also find angels creepy. Would you explain more about it? And what of the common 'sigils' that you can get anointed with just as a matter of course? For example, if I got baptized as a kid and the minister put holy water on my head and signed me with a cross and all that, what does that do? Does it limit other 'spiritual' experiences? And what about crossing my fingers to avoid a promise? Sorry for all the questions but you sound like you know what you're on about. And in passing - where is this 'pure' consciousness to be found with respect to an embodied realm? I mean I have experienced in inside of my head lighting up many times but, er, well, that's all:-)

"A muggle may think they are being attacked from outside when in fact it is coming from something they always thought was part of them.."

I got a bit confused with this part. I do have a small experience of having beliefs that I didn't know I had (that's more than annoying BTW) but not of an actual 'entity' that I thought was me then turns out it's not. I also find angels creepy. Would you explain more about it?

Sure. There are two types of possession. One is very very rare. That is when a very powerful spirit attempts to push you forcibly out of your body, and take it over.

I will be talking about the other kind, that happens from within where the that entity that has been allowed in, just joins your sense of self. It is a fairly unnoticable kind of process. One reason this kind of possession is possible is that we are already possessed and identified with a structure that is 'not us' which we call the Ego.

The Ego is a parasitic matrix of thoughts and ideas that feed off our energy and have their own survival strategies, but it all happens within the space that is the real 'us'. The Ego runs on a basic program of identify/reject, and is always picking up new bits to identify with, and rejecting stuff it dislikes. The fortunate thing about this kind of possession, is that the entity needs an invite to come in. A random prayer to no specific destination for help, uneducated attempts at mediumism and other kinds of foolery can be the doorway, but they always involve consent in some way.

Once the being enters, it is not a sudden change of personality but it slowly finds ways to fit in. they are earth bound spirits in some way, that are attracted to and have desires for Earth things. They are rarely malevolent and some are even kindly, just a little lost, and they are happy to hitch a ride along with you. They may even be very 'good' for you for a short while, but long term they are depleting.

Once they have found a way to fit in, well all their impulses and desires and so on are right there with all your Impulses and desires and so on, and as you invited them they dont seem that foreign. The possessed person start to like the smell of cigarettes for instance and then considers maybe having a puff. Or they suddenly start craving blue cheeses, or 1950 music, or they start feeling intollerent of some other race. As these impulses and desires are coming from 'within' we identify with them, thinking they are 'us' or 'our' genuine impulses and desires and cravings. Characteristics of the entity become yours, and you also affect the entity as it often partially identifies with you, as it is enjoying your experiences.

Candida is a great example. You get infected. you start craving yeast and sugar. you think it is 'you', who 'genuinely wants' that yummy bread and jam. but it is not. It is Candida. The process is exactly the same.

When the entity leaves, {rare without intervention} its current wants and desires leave with it, as well as any particular character quirks.

This is a very bizaar process as aspects of 'your' personality, and 'your' addictions suddenly disappear, never to return.

And what of the common 'sigils' that you can get anointed with just as a matter of course? For example, if I got baptized as a kid and the minister put holy water on my head and signed me with a cross and all that, what does that do?
Well advertising is a billion dollar industry for a reason. Sigils are tied to an Intent. The Cross is a sacred symbol from many cultures, representing the wholeness of life, but in a christian context well it represents protection/blessings from Jesus, God or church... Also you are probably not 'inviting' it as a child so it is not the same as a reiki attunement where you are consciously opening yourself up to recieve the symbols and energy. But still just being near them affects you. We are interrelated with our environment.

Does it limit other 'spiritual' experiences? And what about crossing my fingers to avoid a promise? Sorry for all the questions but you sound like you know what you're on about. And in passing - where is this 'pure' consciousness to be found with respect to an embodied realm? I mean I have experienced in inside of my head lighting up many times but, er, well, that's all:-)

Hmm not as sure. The vast majority of people brought up in what ever religion they were brought up in, stay in it {sure that it is the right one} or return to it once there rebellion years are over. But that would simply have a massive amount to do with programing, although the process of accepting programming is remarkably similar to that of possession.

As for pure consciousness, I did not mention that. But It is what we are. Pure means 'non-conceptual' which means nothing to Identify with, and not stained by thoughts. It is full of Silent Knowing, or language free Knowledge. This is our Being, free of the parasite, and any additions that it may have picked up...

Thank you, that was very interesting. Can you use Reiki to rid yourself of stuff you don't want? Most of the psychology type stuff I've been reading (and some experience with technique) suggests that just awareness of it and then a conscious decision to not engage in the activity or thoughts involved is enough but if what you're saying holds then a person could be on that treadmill for years (aside from it getting wearing:-))

Oh Seth! My spirit guide did the second one, she spoke through me, it was a riot! A fun night.