adept

Reiki

Hi all.

Last night me and mrs. adept were invited by a family member to go along to a reiki healing session.

I'm a pretty open-minded so we decided to go along. I've never had this done before so, apart from reading basic stuff on the net, I knew absolutely nothing about it.

We turned up at a little spiritual centre in town where about 10 people were gathered. I felt a little anxious and nervous and a little bit shy.

I watched on as a couple of people were given the healing and could feel the energy in the room.

It all looked a little weird as two ladies went to work on their subjects. Strange symbolic shapes were drawn into the air in front of the subjects by the ladies.

Immediately I felt myself relax and couldn't wait till it was my turn. In fact I volunteered to have the next go !

As soon as the lady put her hands on me I felt an intense heat surging through my body. Her hands were slightly cold but the energy flowing from her into me was hot, very hot.

A pulsing vibrating warm energy was flowing through me. I was shaking inside although it wasn't visible to anyone. My eyes, which were shut, were flickering all over the place.

It took about 15 minutes and I felt fabulous afterwards, although a bit hyper.

I had a lovely deep sleep which was peppered with weird dreams and visions, most of which I can't remember. I do, though, vividly remember flying extremely fast from place to place without any destination in mind. Also visions of people practicing the Kunlun posture which I've seen in the book, but have yet to practice. Maybe it's some kind of a sign, I don't know, but reiki and Kunlun seemed to be linked in my dreams.

All in all, a very strange interesting experience and an enjoyable one which seems to have given me a pointer to practice Kunlun, which I had been doubting for a while.

Although i do reiki and it has been very beneficial for me on a personal level....many people whom practice it are New Age idiots.

Giving reiki to oneself is great and easy....giving it to others gets a bit more complicated because can pick up a lot of "sludge" from doing that for others....overall it is a nice trick to have in your tool kit, but i would say reserve using it for yourself if you don't have a teacher whom is knowledgeable and can direct you in this area....it can be a shady topic in itself.

-My 2 cents, Peace

• Like 1

I personally feel like the stillness-movement practice also relates to these things...if that would interest you more than kunlun method/yi gong.

Although i do reiki and it has been very beneficial for me on a personal level....many people whom practice it are New Age idiots.

many of whom dont know how and when to apply...a buddy of mine had a badly knotted up muscle in his back a couple years ago and a lady at work did reiki on it, but didnt really think about what's going to happen "sending energy" to an area that's already overinflamed - made it much worse, subsequently corrected by massage and chiro adjustments.

then again, another friend of mine, who upon completing a reiki course and getting his certs in it, after discovering the method of what it was...ripped up his certifications and threw them away. (some people would rather be self reliant...can count me in that category...)

Reiki is probably on the save level of effectiveness as prayer.

If you are looking for an art to control your immune system tummo is what you want to study:

(reiki tummo is a bunch of BULL$#%^, don't waste your time learning made up newage crap)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22685240

The influence of concentration/meditation on autonomic nervous system activity and the innate immune response: a case study.

Kox M, Stoffels M, Smeekens SP, van Alfen N, Gomes M, Eijsvogels TM, Hopman MT, van der Hoeven JG, Netea MG, Pickkers P.

Source

Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands. [email protected]

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

In this case study, we describe the effects of a particular individual's concentration/meditation technique on autonomic nervous system activity and the innate immune response. The study participant holds several world records with regard to tolerating extreme cold and claims that he can influence his autonomic nervous system and thereby his innate immune response.

METHODS:

The individual's ex vivo cytokine response (stimulation of peripheral blood mononuclear cells with lipopolysaccharide [LPS]) was determined before and after an 80-minute full-body ice immersion during which the individual practiced his concentration/meditation technique. Furthermore, the individual's in vivo innate immune response was studied while practicing his concentration/mediation technique during human endotoxemia (intravenous administration of 2 ng/kg LPS). The results from the endotoxemia experiment were compared with a historical cohort of 112 individuals who participated in endotoxemia experiments in our institution.

RESULTS:

The ex vivo proinflammatory and anti-inflammatory cytokine response was greatly attenuated by concentration/meditation during ice immersion, accompanied by high levels of cortisol. In the endotoxemia experiment, concentration/meditation resulted in increased circulating concentrations of catecholamines, and plasma cortisol concentrations were higher than in any of the previously studied participants. The individual's in vivo cytokine response and clinical symptoms after LPS administration were remarkably low compared with previously studied participants.

CONCLUSIONS:

The concentration/meditation technique used by this particular individual seems to evoke a controlled stress response. This response is characterized by sympathetic nervous system activation and subsequent catecholamine/cortisol release, which seems to attenuate the innate immune response.

• Like 2

Reiki is not made up New Age crap, albeit many New Age people tend to attach themselves to it. It was originally a tradition that began in Japan. However, American practitioners went and learned the practice and brought it to the West...it is a very beneficial practice for relieving stress and some basic self-healing.

I rather have reiki as a tool for self-healing than nothing at else.

-My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen
  • Like 1

Reiki is not made up New Age crap. It was originally a tradition that began in Japan. However, American practitioners went and learned the practice and brought it to the West...it is a very beneficial practice for relieving stress and some basic self-healing.

I rather have reiki as a tool for self-healing than nothing at else.

-My 2 cents, Peace

Reiki itself is probably as effective as sugar pills (placebo), or prayer in terms of it's clinical effectiveness.

I am not claiming it doesn't have an effect, only that it is limited to that of the placebo effect.

The practice known as "Reiki tummo" however has nothing to do with tummo at all and is indeed made up newage crap.

http://en.wikipedia....and_controversy

A 2008 systematic review of randomised clinical trials assessing the evidence basis of reiki concluded that efficacy had not been demonstrated for any condition.[4]

subsequent trials with adequate placebo or sham controls have shown no difference between the procedure and the control groups.[4]

http://onlinelibrary...1729.x/abstract

In conclusion, the evidence is insufficient to suggest that reiki is an effective treatment for any condition.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy
  • Like 1

Maybe if you strap a grounding wire to your perineum and bow to the altar of John Chang, it will have less of a placebo effect.

(said in jest, don't take me too seriously...I like you more pie!)

Edited by turtle shell
  • Like 2

Maybe if you strap a grounding wire to your perineum and bow to the altar of John Chang, it will have less of a placebo effect.

Turtle,

I am interested in results. If you point out that certain practices don't get results you become unpopular pretty quickly.

The more I am here the more I begin to dislike this community, it has a sort of aversion to practices that gets results and require effort and a huge attraction to practices which require no work and get no results.

If all we are trying to do is play make believe then this isn't the place for me.

• Like 3

Well, I found it to be beneficial to me. I went with an open mind, not expecting anything.

I wouldn't try and practice tummo without a teacher, and seeing as I don't have any nearby who does teach it, I'll leave it alone.

Reiki has it's roots in Japanese mikkyo Buddhism, particularly Shingon, so as far as the lineage goes, a lot of hard work has been done by past generations. There may be more to it than new age fluff.

There may be more to it than newage fluff, but not much.

It would be comparable to trying to put out a fire with a faucet, instead of using a fire hose.

If you search around you'll find millions of testimonies from people who firmly believe in the efficacy of prayer, wicca, pagan practices and rituals, etc.

Yet for all the millions of people using those methods, not one of them has stepped up to the plate and been investigated and studied like John Chang or Wim Hoff. Who by the way share similar practices in the beginning levels.

I am not trying to be a Jack*** by pointing this out. I am just trying to be realistic and honest about the situation.

Some practices get results, others don't.

If you are satisfied with what you have I guess there is no reason to look for something more.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy
  • Like 2

Okay, how about this...if you're going to derail a thread with your nonsense, more pie guy, I'll just report you.

If you think something is bogus, maybe make a personal practice forum where you discuss that. Those are your opinions. I personally think they're ridiculous 98% of the time...and am surprised that anyone would +1 your posts.

It is somewhat of an admirable quality to cut away at the excess, to be skeptical...but you do it to your own detriment most of the time. And then you attempt to act as a spokesperson for the people who are interested in the REAL DEAL practices...which involve attaching a grounding wire to your perineum and breathing? LOL. Get real, man. Stay in threads that interest you, rather than stumbling into ones that you know you have no real experience in, and blathering about how wrong everyone else must be.

• Like 4

I'll just report you.

Please see:

Completely disagreeing with a person and their lifestyle choices is fine. Finding someone's opinion, technique, politics, approach, etc. absurd, evil, stupid, ridiculous is fine.

As far as I know I try not to attack anyone personally, I say reiki is garbage, wicca is garbage, and anything else that produces no results that can't be demonstrated under laboratory conditions is garbage. This cannot to the best of my knowledge be construed as a personal attack upon them.

This is permitted by the forum owner, personal attacks are not.

which involve attaching a grounding wire to your perineum and breathing?

The other option is sitting in the dirt, meditating on a plastic cushion on an airplane won't cut it, even if a guy who wrote 100 books says so.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy
  • Like 2

demonstrated under laboratory conditions

Herein lies the problem. Not all things that are experienced can be scientifically proven.

How can enlightenment, immortality, kundalini, bliss, mindfulness etc etc be proven or measured by scientific methods.

• Like 3

I am under the impression that derailing threads is something the moderators might frown upon. Reporting you right now to find out what they think in this case...no personal offense. I wish you'd just chill out, because there's room here for every practice and tool and modality to be discussed.

Herein lies the problem. Not all things that are experienced can be scientifically proven.

How can enlightenment, immortality, kundalini, bliss, mindfulness etc etc be proven or measured by scientific methods.

An immortal spirit as I understand it can interact with the world as if there was a physical body present. As to states of bliss, you may be right on that.

• Like 2

I am under the impression that derailing threads is something the moderators might frown upon. Reporting you right now to find out what they think in this case...no personal offense. I wish you'd just chill out, because there's room here for every practice and tool and modality to be discussed.

Not my intention to derail threads, people reply to me necessitating a response. Usually I am gone the second I stop getting followup questions or comments.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy
  • Like 2

An immortal spirit as I understand it can interact with the world as if there was a physical body present.

Has this been demonstrated under laboratory conditions?

...not trying to continue your presence in this thread, which was about adept's experience with reiki. The question to you is obviously rhetorical.

Has this been demonstrated under laboratory conditions?

Has it been? Not to my knowledge.

Could it be if an immortal spirit wished it so? Yes.

• Like 2

Has it been? Not to my knowledge.

Could it be if an immortal spirit wished it so? Yes.

You're not seeing how that opinion is even more ridiculous than reiki, according to your own standards?

• Like 1

You're not seeing how that opinion is even more ridiculous than reiki, according to your own standards?

I know what I've experienced in my training, nothing about it is ridiculous based on my own observations.

• Like 2