Taomeow

Fu sheng wu liang tianzun

Hi taobums,

I am a student of assorted taoist arts and sciences. Look forward to some cross-polination.

Edited by Taomeow

Hi taobums,

I am a student of assorted taoist arts and sciences. Look forward to some cross-polination.

What sort of assorted taoist arts? Oh, WELCOME!

What sort of assorted taoist arts? Oh, WELCOME!

Thank you! :)

OK, let's see... in no particular order:

Taijiquan (Chen style)

Qigong

Female internal alchemy

External alchemy

TCM

Classical feng shui (Xuan Kong, form/compass, Flying Stars, etc.)

Chinese astrology

Calligraphy and Rapid Ink painting

Talismanic sorcery

I Ching divination

Assorted odds and end towards cultivation of the Triple Treasure of perfection, nondecay, immortality

Some of these I'll be happy to discuss, while others are on hold, either because I'm out of practice, too much of a beginner, too much of an expert, or sworn to secrecy. :D Thanks for asking! :)

Edited by Taomeow

Hi Taomeow,

Glad to have you here. I take it the Talisman sorcery falls into the non discussion category. If not, what is it?

Yours

Michael

Hi Taomeow,

Glad to have you here. I take it the Talisman sorcery falls into the non discussion category. If not, what is it?

Yours

Michael

Hi Michael,

thanks, I'm glad to be here too! :)

Talismanic sorcery is an ancient art of communication with hidden energies of the world, sometimes with fairly straightforward types of qi (like that of wind, fire, etc.) and sometimes with more ornate ones (ghosts, spirits and demons) through written signs, symbols and messages charged with particular types of energy that has certain affinity, correspondence, control, attraction, or repulsion vis a vis the energy of the entity one seeks to communicate with. These energies and entities can be sought for help or hindrance, invited or expelled, used in healing, in cursing, or in protection. The better known (albeit secretive) ancient taoist sect that practices talismanic sorcery to this day is Mao-shan magical (not to be confused with Mao-shan mystical), however my (very humble) knowledge comes from an obscure proto-taoist lineage from Altai, and, yes, is not for in-depth discussion, although I don't mind a surface touch if anyone is interested. The physical basis for talismanic sorcery is calligraphy, and the energetic basis for calligraphy is all manner of energy cultivation practices, and the spiritual basis for energy cultivation practices is shamanic in its origins. So talismanic sorcery is a "refined" form of shamanic work with a Chinese/taoist twist, is all it is. Simple! ;)

Hi Michael,

thanks, I'm glad to be here too! :)

Talismanic sorcery is an ancient art of communication with hidden energies of the world, sometimes with fairly straightforward types of qi (like that of wind, fire, etc.) and sometimes with more ornate ones (ghosts, spirits and demons) through written signs, symbols and messages charged with particular types of energy that has certain affinity, correspondence, control, attraction, or repulsion vis a vis the energy of the entity one seeks to communicate with. These energies and entities can be sought for help or hindrance, invited or expelled, used in healing, in cursing, or in protection. The better known (albeit secretive) ancient taoist sect that practices talismanic sorcery to this day is Mao-shan magical (not to be confused with Mao-shan mystical), however my (very humble) knowledge comes from an obscure proto-taoist lineage from Altai, and, yes, is not for in-depth discussion, although I don't mind a surface touch if anyone is interested. The physical basis for talismanic sorcery is calligraphy, and the energetic basis for calligraphy is all manner of energy cultivation practices, and the spiritual basis for energy cultivation practices is shamanic in its origins. So talismanic sorcery is a "refined" form of shamanic work with a Chinese/taoist twist, is all it is. Simple! ;)

Very simple. Nice explanation for touching on the surface. :)

Each realm has a particular vibration to it. A talisman is like a key...being able to

tap into which ever realm one is moving through, and utilizing its energy/vibration for

a cultivated one's proper intent.

Takes cultivation to handle things properly, in this manner.

peace,

Very simple. Nice explanation for touching on the surface. :)

Each realm has a particular vibration to it. A talisman is like a key...being able to

tap into which ever realm one is moving through, and utilizing its energy/vibration for

a cultivated one's proper intent.

Takes cultivation to handle things properly, in this manner.

peace,

Hi Wisard,

'tis true, some talismans are like keys... others are like locks, and still others, like a charge of dynamite to tear down the locked doors! :D

I don't use the word "vibration" because new agers have given it such a bad vibe! :D I prefer to call it ganying. The implications of thinking of resonating phenomena as ganying rather than vibrations are that things that do NOT vibrate -- e.g., phenomena of stillness -- still fall under the spell of resonating similarities with other things that are still, i.e. are ruled by ganying whether they vibrate or not. Of course I'm nowhere near proficient enough to write a talisman of stillness. :(

Hi TaoMeow,and welcome.

Can you tell us a little about what you do with this stuff you are describing, is it of practical use for you?

Hi Wisard,

'tis true, some talismans are like keys... others are like locks, and still others, like a charge of dynamite to tear down the locked doors! :D

I don't use the word "vibration" because new agers have given it such a bad vibe! :D I prefer to call it ganying. The implications of thinking of resonating phenomena as ganying rather than vibrations are that things that do NOT vibrate -- e.g., phenomena of stillness -- still fall under the spell of resonating similarities with other things that are still, i.e. are ruled by ganying whether they vibrate or not. Of course I'm nowhere near proficient enough to write a talisman of stillness. :(

:)

A talisman of stillness is a reflection of the cultivator's mind. ;-)

I use certain words to gather the attention, as people are more familiar, but I understand what you mean :-)

Peace,

Aiwei

Hi TaoMeow,and welcome.

Can you tell us a little about what you do with this stuff you are describing, is it of practical use for you?

Hi, fellow feline, and thanks for the welcome! :)

Yes, I use the stuff, I'm a card-carrying pragmatist (very indifferent to "armchair philosophy"). What I do with it, and what for?... I pursue fulfillment in the Triple Realm. In the Lower Realm, I seek health, happiness, wholeness, and competence so I can help others achieve same (unless they don't want me to of course). In the Middle Realm, I seek wisdom, peace, and duration. In the Higher Realm, I seek to do nothing and accomplish everything, the way tao does. In all three, I aspire to emulate tao. All these I believe are worth a shot at via authentic taoist cultivation practices. So I do taiji and qigong to keep my body and mind in good repair and to be able to prevent other bodies and minds from doing damage to them; mix herbal formulas (I haven't seen a Western doctor in ten years) and meditate on the energies of plants, animals, and natural phenomena; read fortunes, calculate auspicious and inauspicious developments, move furniture (yes, this too... feng shui!), consult the I Ching when trying to make a decision, and... well, all that jazz and more.

A talisman of stillness is a reflection of the cultivator's mind. ;-)

How very true.

I can't have a perfectly still mind unless my body is perfectly still. But they tell me thirty years down the road I will be able to do calligraphy with a perfectly still mind. If I'm a fast learner that is. ;)

How very true.

I can't have a perfectly still mind unless my body is perfectly still. But they tell me thirty years down the road I will be able to do calligraphy with a perfectly still mind. If I'm a fast learner that is. ;)

:D

Really sorry if this is not the appropriate place to post this.

I use to use talisman to freeze and attach certain patterns of energy. I draw them in a paper with astrological and geometric symbols and then, I charge them with reiki energy. So far, I've attained very good results, but anyway, and knowing more people in here use them, I'd like to ask about your talisman-making style.

Should we start off a new thread on this?

Let's suppose we want to attract something with the help of a talisman. How do you make it? First, I design in a paper a previous drawing. Usually I square everything in a big square so the energy can be held inside. Then I write the thing I want to obtain in the center and I surround it by a triangle (so, outside the square, inside the triangle and inside of it the text). I put in the blank space symbols of deities and planets that rule the energy that can give me the wish. After it, I charge myself with energy (MCO) and I summon reiki energy so I pass it to the paper. Then I fold it and I keep close to me (usually in my wallet), charging it everyday with my mere thought.

That's my technique. I'd like to hear about other's.

Thanks.

Edited by andonitxo

andonitxo,

thanks for your perspective! Your post has been moved to a new thread in the Discussion section, I'll reply there.

Thank you! :)

OK, let's see... in no particular order:

Taijiquan (Chen style)

Qigong

Female internal alchemy

External alchemy

TCM

Classical feng shui (Xuan Kong, form/compass, Flying Stars, etc.)

Chinese astrology

Calligraphy and Rapid Ink painting

Talismanic sorcery

I Ching divination

Assorted odds and end towards cultivation of the Triple Treasure of perfection, nondecay, immortality

Wow, very cool list! Do you have assorted teachers and sources?

And what are the differences between "female internal alchemy," "external alchemy" and "regular ole' male" internal alchemy?"

Edited by vortex

Wow, very cool list! Do you have assorted teachers and sources?

And what are the differences between "female internal alchemy," "external alchemy" and "regular ole' male" internal alchemy?"

Yes, teachers and sources. I am a traditionalist and try to steer clear of "creativity" in my taoist endeavours. Creativity comes easy, but I'm after authenticity, and that involves some leg work.

The difference between female internal alchemy and male internal alchemy is that techniques are completely different, because the crucial jing-related organs are different and therefore qi pathways are somewhat different and therefore shen is somewhat different too. There's no male routines involving, e.g., ovarian breathing, directing qi to the brain via cultivating it in the breasts, single-point meditations focused inside the uterus, or coordinating monthly cycles with the phases of the moon. By the same token, there's lots of specifically male alchemical practices of no use to a taoist woman. Then there's quite a few bad ideas out there -- practices that seem to aim at turning a woman into a man -- and also nonspecific ideas that seem to apply to "everyone" but really don't --

so it's rather important to get the precise gender (and goals) of a particular practice straight before undertaking it.<_< Internal alchemy is a hormonally active endeavour -- e.g., the Deer, a uniquely female practice, has been shown to modify neuroendocrine functions of the hypothalamus and the pituitary, the organs orchestrating the whole cascade of hormonal events in the body -- so it can get tricky (a little like doing brain surgery on yourself) and you don't want to mess it up if you can help it.

As for external alchemy, that's different from both female and male internal ones -- it's exactly what it sounds like, alchemy you do outside your own body, typically in a cauldron, or a still, or just a double boiler... <_<