Sign in to follow this  
Kev

What is the interpretation of this imbalance in the 5 Phases?

I came upon a passage from Ted Kaptchuk's book "The Web That Has No Weaver" about Chinese medicine.

DISHARMONIES OF THE MUTUAL CONTROL CYCLE

Earth's control of Water not adjusted

Spleen (Earth) insults Kidney (Water)

dry mouth and lips; thin, rapid pulse; constipation

Heat Pernicious Influence Injuring Yin (especially of Stomach)

Spleen (Earth) humiliated by Kidney (Water)

edema and other Deficient Kidney signs

Deficient Spleen Yang and Deficient Kidney Yang

Here is an image:

post-90019-0-14263400-1350311089_thumb.png

Of the above conditions, I have all and they are severe. This precisely describes what I have been physically experiencing this past year and which I have not been able to find solutions.

I do not have much understanding of Chinese medicine. I have a general overview of what this means, but not enough to understand it completely.

What does this passage about the 5 Phases in Chinese medicine mean?

What are the actions to correct this imbalance?

Much thanks.

It clearly shows the imbalance one has in relation to both organs. An overactive liver (lead by an overactive heart) which insults the spleen and weak kidneys unable to counteract liver's ovearactivity, hence the whole system is out of control. You are not alone, welcome to the XXI century and the human realm.

This does not help at all. :)

I have been rethinking this past week and am understanding more what is happening. I was having serious edema in my hands, which I now know is due to consuming way too much salt (Water). I also crave sweet food (Earth) like crazy without knowing why.

All of this would indicate that I have an Earth and Water imbalance, or as described in Kaptchuk's book 'Earth's control of Water not adjusted'. What I am trying to figure out is, how do I 'rebalance Earth and Water'?

This does not help at all. :)

I have been rethinking this past week and am understanding more what is happening. I was having serious edema in my hands, which I now know is due to consuming way too much salt (Water). I also crave sweet food (Earth) like crazy without knowing why.

All of this would indicate that I have an Earth and Water imbalance, or as described in Kaptchuk's book 'Earth's control of Water not adjusted'. What I am trying to figure out is, how do I 'rebalance Earth and Water'?

I see why you are confused because the source that you are using was confused in the first place. Find another book that the author has a better understanding of the 5-Phases system.

Bagua will do that for you...I also recommend a gradual fasting regime and a change in your lifestyle.

I have a growing interest with fasting due to good experiences. In what way do you believe fasting can be good for balancing the organs?

I see why you are confused because the source that you are using was confused in the first place. Find another book that the author has a better understanding of the 5-Phases system.

I have researched many hours for books on Chinese medicine. This is one of the few that I believe to be accurate. What do you think of Ted Kaptcha's book? What book would you recommend instead?

"You are not alone, welcome to the XXI century and the human realm."

G is right on that one:-)

I ought to mention a lot of it is due to our environment, diet and working situations.

I would suggest:

- get a good acupuncturist

- some kind of (gentle) 5E-balancing exercise (or just exercise if you aren't doing any at all)

- acupressure you can do yourself (you can ask your acupuncturist to show you which points and which to avoid).

- checking out dietary options for your situation

- full 'western' checkup to rule out anything that side (I feel obliged to suggest it).

I just dug this up: http://www.itmonline.org/5organs/spleen.htm

On the book question. I do have the Deadman acupuncture manual but for me it's like reading a textbook for doctors, which I am not.

You'll work it out :-)

I am making lifestyle changes and will be seing a naturopath soon. I have also found a good acupuncturist.

Thank you for the ITM Website -K-.

there are two different conditions, one is opposite of the other.

You cannot have both in the same time, maybe they are alternating.

Sometimes you have too much heat (fire) which nourishes the earth, sometimes you have too much water which attacks the earth. You need to keep the balance in between, don't allow to have waves in your energy. This is what that 5 elements chart means. How you keep balance is a whole another story (baguazhang may be one of the many solutions but is not applied and should not be applied to everyone). E.g. in my energy system if I practice baguazhang I have the imbalance water humiliated by fire, so depends on your energy system.

Ted Kaptchuk, OMD, was the first Westerner to study TCM in China, where he was adopted into a Chinese family. He proceeded to practice it in China for many years before writing his books on the subject, primarily for TCM professionals. "The Web That Has No Weaver" is, according to several English-speaking doctors of TCM whom I asked many moons ago, the single best intro book for the beginner who wants to find out in some depth what TCM is about. Kaptchuk is the co-author of the English translation of the monumental TCM Materia Medica. He was single-handedly responsible for introducing the West to acupuncture, its acceptance, its being granted a legitimate status, and the eventual creation of professional organizations for practitioners and students. If HE is a "confused source," I am Quetzalcoatl.

• Like 2

there are two different conditions, one is opposite of the other.

You cannot have both in the same time, maybe they are alternating.

Sometimes you have too much heat (fire) which nourishes the earth, sometimes you have too much water which attacks the earth. You need to keep the balance in between, don't allow to have waves in your energy. This is what that 5 elements chart means. How you keep balance is a whole another story (baguazhang may be one of the many solutions but is not applied and should not be applied to everyone). E.g. in my energy system if I practice baguazhang I have the imbalance water humiliated by fire, so depends on your energy system.

They are not opposite, actually. The organ that is insulted by another responds by humiliating it. TCM sees relationships between organs as similar to human relationships in a family or in an organization. If a boss insults a subordinate, e.g. by giving unrealistic tasks and demanding adherence to unrealistic schedules, without taking into consideration the actual situation and conditions, the subordinate will respond by humiliating the boss, e.g. by sabotaging his work, badmouthing the boss to co-workers, and so on. In the case described by Kev, the two processes happen simultaneously. The solution is not simple because the situation is not simple, but I would start with dietary changes (drastic ones), a good qigong practice, and a whole bunch of Chinese herbs prescribed by a knowledgeable professional, with perhaps acupuncture on the side.

• Like 2

It is clear that I have a huge Earth and Water imbalance. It goes from symptoms in the first list (cycles of dry peeling lips) to symptoms from the second (edema in hands). There is also the salt and sweet cravings, as well as pensiveness and fear.

It is almost like a drama that has been playing for the past year.

I have searched on the forums for practices to do. I am interested in Zhan Zhuang and have found Master Lam Kam Chuen's 10 day video series.

I also would like to do Ba Duan Jin which I found from this thread.

http://thetaobums.com/topic/21715-ba-duan-jin-the-source/

Are these two practices good for balancing the organs (such as Earth and Water) and circulating qi?

I have searched on the forums for practices to do. I am interested in Zhan Zhuang and have found Master Lam Kam Chuen's 10 day video series.

I also would like to do Ba Duan Jin which I found from this thread.

Are these two practices good for balancing the organs (such as Earth and Water) and circulating qi?

Ba Duan Jin is good. The six healing sound is designed to excercise internal organs.

Zhan Zhuang isn't easy and not for beginners.

Sign in to follow this