Sign in to follow this  
QiDr

Why do you practice Tai Chi, Qi Gong?

I started about 5 different times, with reasons as varied as: curiousity, wanting to be different, because it was suggested, and to get exercise without competition.

I now do it to explore, to discover the various levels of communication with myself and with other beings.

When I first learned tai chi through Chia's system the emphasis was on tai chi as energy cultivation. I switched over to a harder style (Cheng Man Ching style) where it is closer to Martial Arts apllications. Perhaps body mechanics would be a better way to describe it.

The practice is enjoyable for its own sake. The mixing of emotions and feeling with movement is worthwhile in itself. I do think there are health and meditational benefits, but basically it doesn't take up a lot of time and feels good to do.

Michael

I am a bit confused by the wording of the question. As I understand it, Tai Chi can be concidered part of one's Qi Gong practice, in that Qi Gong may be any practice from prayer and meditation to full-contact Kung Fu etc...

In that vein I guess my Qi Gong practices have encluded prayer, meditation, reading and any scholastic study, greco-roman wrestling, hatha yoga, judo, Hung Gar Shaolin Kung Fu, Home-style Taiwanese martial arts forms, religious debate, and surviving attacks by both the kkk & high lords of latin kings, (fascists and anarchists-the wacko/dangerous extremists, a telling, yet odd coincidence)...Creating a not for profit organization, and advocating for basic rights, teaching and political activism as well I guess...The giving out of what I am able to share is also an important part of my Qi Gong. This last helps me understand what I think I know! All part of the process of working to better myself and the world I live in.

In other words whatever has made me stronger and wiser is part of what I concider my Qi Gong practice. And indeed it all comes down to trying to be the best person that I can be at any moment...Staying aware of my suroundings and alert to my energy levels as I go about my biz day to day...

WHY I do this may be just because I am aware of the differences I experience in my life ...When I am trying to be a better me, it feels beter than letting myself get lazy and slovenly and weak...

Namaste-Pat

In other words whatever has made me stronger and wiser is part of what I concider my Qi Gong practice. And indeed it all comes down to trying to be the best person that I can be at any moment...Staying aware of my suroundings and alert to my energy levels as I go about my biz day to day...

WHY I do this may be just because I am aware of the differences I experience in my life ...When I am trying to be a better me, it feels beter than letting myself get lazy and slovenly and weak...

Love that!

I do it for those reasons also. And because...think back to when you first started doing something, anything that you're good at now. If you'd never started, you'd never be good at it. Never have it become such a comfortable everyday part of yourself that you forget half the time that you made the choice and the time to learn it.

That's my goal with tai chi, qigong, all the other amazing internal arts, because I don't want to feebly ponder the end of my days and say, "Sh**t. What the hell did I do with my life? Purpose? Life purpose? Well, I sat around and watched a lot of tv..."

And definitely healing.

I started to do them to stop the out of body experiences I was having. It took awhile but the taijiquan and qigong did stop them. I still practice for health and spiritual reasons.

Edited by DarinHamel

warrior priest healer

scholar

qi gong is science of reality!

everyone in the world is doing qi gong at all times - they just dont know it yet!

Why taijiquan? Because I couldn't heal anyone with taekwondo and couldn't kill anyone with yoga. :D

Yes, I like that!

Although related through the medium of movement I have not found Tai Chi Chuan (TaiJiQuan) and Chi Gung (QiQong) experientially synonymous. Close yes, but not the same.

The thing that comes immediately to the surface of my mind is the differences in breathing. Some Chi Gungs may regulate w/ a slow even 'natural' breath or abdominal breath the same as Tai Chi Chuan, but from my perspective the types of breaths common to Chi Gung, their timing and effects qualify ChiGung as experientially unique from Tai Chi Chuan.

This isn't to say that Tai Chi can not be performed w/ any type of breath regulation you like, (that seems like a very Taoist sort of experimentation / methodology...) in my own journeys I have experimented w/ a multitude of breathing rhythms. "Condensation", "reverse", "fire", "long" breathing, etc, during a variety of activities.

While the results of practicing Tai Chi Chuan are undoubtbly connected to the quality of ones breath, as is ANY movement of the human form, the overall results from 30 min of TaiJi are qualitatively different then practicing ChiGung for the same amount of time, in a repetitive manner, flow (form) or freestyle practice.

While the practices can be performed independantly, I believe they are synergetically interdependant and a practitioner who finds himself in one, may naturally evolve into the other and vice versa.

Here are some of my current observations of the two practices:

Tai Chi Chuan:

Movement Meditation: 30 min to practice the whole set (yang 108).

Classical Principles: Principles which transcend attributes such as muscular strength & speed

Bio Mechanical Principles: Phi, Footwork & stance; fluidity & form, sphericity of movement & range

Combative Principles: Inquiry process amplified through form analysis. Non combative/competitive two person practice via push hands

Chi Circulation: Post practice wuji (or any other posture) standing amplified. Chi circulation seems externally generated.

Classical Texts: There are a number of classical texts concerning Tai Chi Chuan. Texts of personal interest include the poetry of the Yang family and the classic "40 poems" by Wu Cheng Ching.

Movement Vocabulary: By providing a "matrix" of movement possibilities, and linking them systematically through the progressive vocabulary of the form, a student gradually becomes familiar with the language / style of the movement and works towards formulating their own form or movement poetry, or freestyle approach to movement. I think this is the means to the end of forms, the translation of musical understanding into freestyle jazz improvization.

Chi Gung:

Movement or Still Meditation: Time no matta! Single Point & Field Awareness - mind/body relaxation being the primary factor here. (sung)

Breathing Principles: Combination of rythmic breathing w/ movement translates to a variety of everyday movements & activities.

Primary Bio Mechanical Alignments: Basic ranges of movement (wei dan) naturally compliment daily movements. Naturally align and correct poor choices in movement patterns, harmonize intent w/ movement.

Chi Circulation: cultivate awareness, clear blockages, tonify meridians, circulate, redistribute & store.

Edited by Spectrum

Sign in to follow this