Trunk

Coconut milk

In India we got coconut milk fresh. Lovely stuff.

Here in England it comes in tins and is nowhere near as nice. Good for cooking with though.

I know I'm a boring bastard but is this Taoist Discussion???

It will be once someone say that coconut milk sucks, and it does

• Like 1

I know I'm a boring bastard but is this Taoist Discussion???

pesky moderators, lol

Oops, I'm still used to having General Discussion listed first; that's what I intended..

/moderator hat on

moved topic into General D.

/mod off

:D

I think it does tonify essence or something, doesn't it? Anyone know the TCM and/or health properties of coconut?

It will be once someone say that coconut milk sucks, and it does

What! You mean you don't suck it, it sucks you. Amazing stuff. Must be some quantum weirdness involved I would guess.

Watch out for the 'with pulp' and 'without pulp' distinction on the can. I don't like it with bits in it.

Coconut juice (which is, i think, what Ms K is on about) and coconut milk have a very cooling effect on the body. According to TCM its advisable to consume only in moderation. Excess consumption often leads to increased dampness in the body, usually evidenced by increased phlegm production, constipation, bloating and gas build-up.

A good substitute for coconut milk in curries is coconut yogurt. Yogurt has a cooling essence as well, but its a beneficial one, tending to neutralise excess yang, and does not lead to any dampness build-up like coconut will.

Coconut juice (which is, i think, what Ms K is on about) and coconut milk have a very cooling effect on the body. According to TCM its advisable to consume only in moderation. Excess consumption often leads to increased dampness in the body, usually evidenced by increased phlegm production, constipation, bloating and gas build-up.

A good substitute for coconut milk in curries is coconut yogurt. Yogurt has a cooling essence as well, but its a beneficial one, tending to neutralise excess yang, and does not lead to any dampness build-up like coconut will.

Does chilli, ginger, garlic etc balance that yin effect of coconut by any chance?

I think i know why thai curry is so good now...