GrandTrinity

spring summer winter fall

yep, I thought it was great. absolutely beautiful and I like how we learn it's set in contemporary Korea through the minor details. you can buy the Pilsung Cider that the policeman was drinking anywhere in Korea, I rather like it. It's sort of an apple flavored Sprite.

supposedly, the director is a Christian and the movie can be read as a critique of Buddhism. but it seemed like an ambivalent critique at best, and the movie only inspired me to strive harder to find the true Dharma/Tao.

Edited by Kagemusha

Seemed more zenlike than BUddhist to me, but yeah... I thought it was amazing. I liked how in the martial sequence he kept returning to putting his hands in prayer mudra.

Also just the entire vibe... it was almost a silent movie - the plot was in the movements not the words. Picturesque, I think any Taobum would highly appreciate this!

that was the first movie i have watched for years.

i loved the silence......................

.........and the scenery, especially at the end when he meditated at the top of the mountain.

Seemed more zenlike than BUddhist to me, but yeah... I thought it was amazing. I liked how in the martial sequence he kept returning to putting his hands in prayer mudra.

Also just the entire vibe... it was almost a silent movie - the plot was in the movements not the words. Picturesque, I think any Taobum would highly appreciate this!

:)

Zen is one of the Buddhist schools of cultivation. :D

saw it a few years ago...loved it..thought it was very well done.

Kagemusha - thats interesting that it is supposed to be a critique of buddhism. I didn't notice that at all. I've been meaning to re-watch that movie so maybe I'll look for that next time.

I remember being very disappointed by the movie. Yes, there were some wonderful moments of silence. But, he never developed - he was so tied to sex that he killed in jealousy! That, I think, could be considered a critique of Buddhism, and is certainly one levelled by numerous Daoists.