daojones

5 Elements and Personality Typology

I'm interested in learning about personality typology within the context of the 5 elements/phase theory, as well as how the elements manifest through physical characteristics.

I have some basics down, but am looking for a book or resource for more in depth study - has anyone studied this? Is this a normal thing to study?

i have magazine here in my native language

which describes two methods of determining which element is dominating you right now now.......

in one method you breath out on the surface of a mirror.....

and than look at the pattern formed by your breath

it will take the tatwa symbol of corresponding element

it also desribed the meaning of each pattern but i dont remember it

and i forgot the second method lol

Yup, it's primarily facial diagnosis. The author's website and blog go into detail about other various things...worth looking into, and you can always return a kindle book if you don't like it within a week.

Well that's handy to know. Thank you.

Thing is the five elements co-relate fluidly 'in' us and personality is not necessarily 'fixed', thank goodness.

Cultivator in year one is one person, the same cultivator seven years later is a different person.

GrandmasterP, yes people change! Although, I was under the impression that each person has foundational elements. I recall a book I saw a while ago that looked at knuckles and feet, etc...to determine such foundational elements of one's personality. Wish I could remember the name!

I'm interested in learning about personality typology within the context of the 5 elements/phase theory, as well as how the elements manifest through physical characteristics.

I have some basics down, but am looking for a book or resource for more in depth study - has anyone studied this? Is this a normal thing to study?

DaoJones,

I had studied for years with an internationally renowned acupuncturist who was a direct disciple to the late JR Worsley, the founder of Five Element Theory in acupuncture. I spent much time in nature, doing experiential study of this ecological system as it relates to organ and meridian systems as well as our constitution, spirit and the greater metaphysics of life. In addition, I worked for several years in one the most successful 5E clinics in the country under my mentor (who teaches extensively in this system) with an integration of other holistic health doctors.

Even after all this time, I remain greatly in love with the power of this system. It was my main area of sub-speciality theory in graduate school for Classical Chinese Medicine. I utilize it extensively in my private practice in combination with many other systems and experiences of understanding. If you are interested in formal, organic and private discussions to learn more about these methods with me, you are always welcome to visit my website: www.solamita.wix.com/welcome or private message me to set up some time together.

The most reliable sources for this material are geared towards medical practitioners. I would happy to give you those titles, however you may find that without supplementation, the material becomes obscure (though this too is something I would be glad to provide insight). I do have to say that doing interpersonal and experiential study in this system is fairly foundational to these methods (whether this be with myself or any other 5E practitioner of your choosing) as it is primarily based on relationship, not just static "elements". There is much that happens through spirits connecting that cannot be conveyed simply through reading a theoretical text.

It is truly a beautiful and remarkable system and I would glad to take you as far into it as you have sincere interest. Otherwise, I gladly refer you to my mentors and others who also provide workshops on location through out the country.

Enjoy and be well, Mila

Edited by Small Fur

Change at hand looks interesting, although I am skeptical of palmistry that isn't related to any sort of system - what are your thoughts on the authenticity (see: things that work) of palmistry books?

Mila, thanks for all the info! Would definitely be interested in some reading suggestions.

Sure!

There are a limited number of books published on Five Element theory, primarily because it is considered by some (but depends on which tradition of academic you inquire) to have originated from a shamanistic tradition. Prior to many of the core Chinese medical canons- such as the Huang Di Nei Jing 黃帝內經, or the Ling Shu Jing 靈樞經; what is now known as Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) looked much different.

The Five Element system originates from an oral tradition and is transferred from that spirit (hence, another reason in my earlier suggestion to study this particular system in a dynamic environment from a trained practitioner and/or with other students and in nature.) So, part of the inherent tradition of 5E is to share interpersonally, allowing an organic evolution of its form. Therefore, few of the published material I have seen are noteworthy, primarily because the key qualities that make 5E so special (in my opinion) get lost to static theoretical conventions such as 'typology'.

As for your request, my suggestion is to purchase medical grade texts. JR Worsley himself published a series available through the Tai Sophia Institute [TAI]. His set forms the core theoretical foundation, but as I have mentioned, this is a non-intellecutalized method of medicine, so much will be lost in the process of reading it. In addition, his series is very much geared towards the acupuncturist, so many references may appear obscure though they are integral to the system itself. For an excellent introduction that is less acupuncture specific, I highly suggest Lonny Jarrett's "Nourishing Destiny", also a graduate level medical text.

On a side note, I do want to say that while 5E may appear as a typological system, we ourselves don't consider it in such a stock manner. In my opinion, typology is Western approach to doing character analysis in which one is assumed to fit a genericized label (which is to say, a highly intellectualized form of stereotyping- and by the way, I do hold a degree in Psychology, as well, and am very versed in a variety of character typing systems and methods). In contrast, the 5E system looks at the many elements that compromise an individual and its dynamic within the system. Together these elements form what we call the "Landscape Tendency". It's a subtlety that I feel is worth mentioning because it changes the core orientation from which we come to understand ourselves and eachothers embodiment in an evolving ecological system. A "landscape" then, is a natural system of the body, and its "tendency" is simply a proclivity given its natural environmental conditions. But as with all landscapes, their tendencies are dynamic, biologically diverse, and hence, one's constitution and propensities are just as energetically faceted and evolutionary. Like any energetic system, we can't simply constrain a human being to a set of analytical theoretics or gain absolute understanding and therefore assume control of an entire weather pattern and its accompanying environmental conditions. I feel this is something that differs starkly from the Western mindset of analytics and hard sciences which attempt to create discrete and disparate parts with the belief that the mysteries can be unveiled (therefore depriving 'mystery' of its 'mystery') and the qualities within possibly subject to a practitioner's control via a discerning mind.

That said, those who study Worsley in an orthodox tradition, will find there is much more of that static component found in typology. However, there are also emerging lineages (such as the one in which I studied) that look at the human being as an evolving, dynamic microcosmic ecological system… in addition to have spiritual exchanges with plant and nature spirits. In the latter, I feel that it comes closer to the shamanistic roots of Chinese medicine- where among other things, diseases were once determined by reading the markings on ox bones and patterns found on tortoise shells. :D Enjoy!

Edited by Small Fur
  • Like 1

what are your thoughts on the authenticity (see: things that work) of palmistry books?

For "diagnosing" personality types, they're definitely onto something.

But the only lengths I personally go to regarding the elements and the hands, are that perhaps each finger has a different type of energy. Lol...I don't buy into much of what's out there, and don't think it's all that useful. People are much more complex...for instance, a person with long fingers could be said to have more psychic capability or intelligence. A person with thick fingers could be said to be more suited to manual labor or a steady schedule. Maybe this is true for the individual...maybe not...does it matter, either way? People generally know who they are and what they like to do already. At most it's a party trick.

I personally found the mien shiang information to be much more useful, in terms of knowing what a person is probably like (aside from intuition).

I like the concept of landscape and tendencies. Yes, it is much more fertile and alive then a typology. I like chinese medicine as opposed to other non-western practices because I like how it has a system and therefore has strong explanatory power (I feel this is very western of me). I will check out Nourishing Destiny.

Intuitive party tricks! Hooray :P

Palm reading is as useful as any other method. The sitter brings the reading with them and you read them. Whatever you use to do that is window dressing Fate is no more contained in the palm of anyone's hand than it is on their left buttock.