Sign in to follow this  
skydog

Depriving oneself of sleep as a spiritual practice

I havent slept tonight and dont feel I need to..had a nap earlier though

I was briefly reading about sufis who use sleeplessness as a tool for spiritual growth

Also how native americans had a practice where they would sit in a circle in a forest, naked, without sleep, food or water for three days as part of a vision quest.

Yes I realise there is a need for balance/safety with practices, but lets not get into that, just curious about anyones experiences with this,

It's an interesting concept, but I think context is extremely important.

I experience sleep deprivation on a regular basis due to my work schedule, and I guarantee you I'm not reaping any spiritual benefits from it. :P

• Like 1

Hi,

Sometimes I use sleep deprivation as a tool in two situations:

-when I meditate a lot, my mind can be very still and quiet like an immense ocean without a wave... but if I sleep, I could partially loss this state. So I reduce the sleep-time to a minimum.

-when my stomach is full because of a substantial dinner, there is a chance of leakage during the sleep-time. In this situation, I sleep for 3-4 hours and only when I'm really really tired.

Well if that's what folk like to do they will do it but it is unnatural and unhealthy. A cultivated body develops regular rhythms whereas short interventions like this one or fasting are just that, short term. Burger-fast-burger or lethargy-insomnia-lethargy are jagged cycles. Gentle consistent cultivation is harder to stick to but healthier .

Running after novelty is symptomatic of a disordered cultivation.

A veggie diet,no stimulants or intoxicants plenty of water and daily cultivation along with some external form of exercise will ensure sleeping and breathing like a baby.

People crave novelty but cultivation requires sticking to tried and tested methods year after year. It takes time but perseverance pays.

• Like 2

If you believe the legend that Buddha medicated for 49 days without sleep to achieve enlightment, then you're on to something. Jesus and Mosses also fasted forty days to "meet God". I suppose they didn't sleep too much either.

Personally, I already have a hard time sleeping. I don't want to play with my sleep schedule.

Good thread yeah.

Well I have had an evening well spent. Only week night bar Friday I'm not at work til nine.

Flask of green tea. White Crane 1&2 on the old DVD. [that Darryl Hannah looks like a tranny eh?] and brain switched off.

Cultivate next then bed.

Life is good bro.

;-)

You been down the Dojo yet Sinan?

lol sounds good...

my day was both unproductive and very productive from 6pm onwards, watched fist of fury, did some art, and revision in stillness movement.

Nah havent been yet, thanks for reminding me though

goodnight

Edited by sinansencer

Never done it (sleep deprivation) intentionally. But have done unintentionally. I suspect that matters very much.

Each time I've been sleep-deprived, the results have been pretty similar:

- slight euphoria (the 'oh my god I can keep on going despite this' feeling)

- fearlessness

- slight visual hallucinations (those 'droplets' falling from the ceiling, 'spider webs', 'animals' in peripheral vision)

It has almost always been 'good' due to the above stuff that goes with. I don't think I've formally 'used' it for anything. I can see why it would be a 'good' time to do so. The return after such has almost always been horrible.

Sleep is recovery time, if you're not already very healthy I wouldn't do it.

Losing sleep is also terrible for your memory, as is sleeping during the day.

If the sleep is "deprived" in favor of "utter and complete stillness" in meditation, nothing wrong with that, good idea to train awareness in fact, and if your meditation is efficient then it does provide somewhat the same refresher as sleep, but not quite the same as sleep. I sit before bed, entering deep quiescence until such time as I recognize the curve of diminished returns getting too much, then I wind down meditation and go to sleep. It gets tougher when my back doesnt shut up though :lol:

Sign in to follow this